Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi again friends [smile]. You may remember that this season we are independent dancers and doing conventions and competing a solo. DD is a senior. This past weekend we just came back from our first convention of the season, 24/ Seven. DD learned a lot and definitely loved the convention, however, she just wasnt good enough to stand out from the crowd or get noticed. She can pick up on all the choreo and has so much fun doing it, but i guess you could say, she just blends in with the crowd because there are so many absolutely amazing dancers there. My daughter is a wonderful dancer, but i guess you could say, she isn't "elite".  In the past we have attended NRG, Hollywood Vibe, Velocity, and a couple others. This season we are planning on attending either 2 or 3 regional Hollywood Connections and then we will for sure be going to their nationals this summer. This coming weekend we are going to Dance ATAK, which is a one day convention. I was wondering, what are some more conventions we can go to that aren't exactly "elite"? I have heard that Hollywood Connection will be more "our level". We know that all conventions are challenging, and we definitely want them to be that way!! Just wondering if there are any other conventions you have been to that you would suggest trying? 

Hope this all makes sense, thank you all so much!

Edit: DD is thinking about attending ASH and/or West Coast Dance Explosion, what are those like? Are they as hard as the Break The Floor Conventions?
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
The talent at 24/7 San Diego was INSANE for this early in the season!
dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
AGREED! We were totally blown away [eek] Amazing dancers there!!
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Is the point of a convention to get noticed? Or to learn from new teachers?
dancer417

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Not sure where you're located, but DD's studio went to Dancemakers (DMI) for two years before she graduated and she LOVED their convention and competition.  The focus is much less on achievement and more on development.  I would say my DD was more like yours, and even though she didn't necessarily get pulled out in every class, the experience was a very positive one for her and her company-mates.  Additionally, lots of people from her studio did get pulled out and recognized their first year, and not ALWAYS because they nailed the choreo, but because the teacher loved their facials or improv or attack, and that is something that was really good; highlighting that nailing the choreography ten seconds after being taught is NOT the only way to be a good dancer.  DMI does have a tendency and reputation to recognize dancers from longtime studios that have been coming there forever more often than newer dancers, but that does not mean your daughter would not get picked out to dance for the class or get a scholarship.  Highly recommend!!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 

I think your question may be difficult to answer because, while there are some conventions known to attract stronger dancers, others may vary by location and even that may vary from year to year. Meaning that convention A may attract a stronger crowd in location 1 than in location 2. 

My best advice would be to think twice about this goal of being noticed at a convention and to think more about long term goals, if there are any. 

Dd did enjoy ASH, but only did the convention, not the adjudication. However, she was not looking to be noticed. She was attending mainly for one reason- fun! She was attending a ballet school that did not do conventions or competitions (not even YAGP initially) and a convention gave her the chance to spend a day or two in different genres in a different environment. 

If I recall from your previous post, your dd is 16. Is that correct? If so, it's important that she learn to dance for herself. That Baryshnikov quote "I do not try to dance better than anyone else, I only try to dance better than myself" is something that is actually important for any dancer in any environment IMHO. And once a dancer learns that, it's possible that they may actually get recognized now and then because they will be truer to themselves and that's the sort of thing makes a dancer stand out. But at that point, that recognition is a nice compliment but far less important. 

DanceREVEL

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Come check out REVEL Dance Convention. We attract a wide array of studios and dancers. Check us out online at dancerevel.com, or message us at info@dancerevel.com :-)
Sprmom2679

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Try Adrenaline and Revive.  They are sister companies and have mostly the same teachers.  As Revive was new last year I heard all of the classes were small and everyone enjoyed it.  They don't usually attract top talent like Break the Floor.  As another poster mentioned, the city does make a difference.  Some of the top studios who mostly do Break the Floor could also use Adrenaline as practice and exposure if they came to their town. If your daughter is one of those that stays in the front of the class, the teachers are very interactive.  I am not sure if they allow independents so check their website.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.