Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
birdmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Anyone have knowledge/insight on universities with programs where dancers can dual major? I know it is a rarity. 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Muhlenberg, Butler, Indiana U, Point Park, Webster, NYU.  I am sure there are more. 

While there are schools that allow one to double major, it doesn't mean that they graduate many double majors because of conflicts and the hours required to be a dance major. I would think only schools that grant a BA would allow it but those that grant a BFA would be less likely. 

Check out the College Confidential web site during your college searches, if you have not already. 

Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
It really depends on what the second major is.  Some programs are specially designed to work with a second major.  My DD is at Elon with a dance BFA/Dance Science double.  Cal State Long Beach was another top tier program that allowed the science second.  Southern Methodist University had a lot of kids with varied secondary degree interests (even astrology and engineering).  There are some great duals in arts management available and we even found one program that has an amazing cinematography program for its arts majors.  More and more schools are acknowledging that dancers need education in a secondary field to be able to pay the bills so there are good programs that even encourage this.  

Find colleges/universities that have what your student is interested in for dance (ballet/modern or mutiple genres, large/small department, scholarship opportunities, residential/off-campus living) and then see which of those schools also have the other major available.  Finish by specifically calling the dance department at the schools you have found and asking about dual degree options.  Tendumom is right - ask not just about if it is available but if it is a realistic option.  A school with multiple students actually pursuing a double major now is far more likely to work with your student then one giving lip-service to the option without actually being able to introduce you to current students really making it work.  That was eventually a huge selling factor for us.  When DD auditioned we were pulled to the schools that had current students available to visit with us who really were pursuing a double major.   

AND do all of this your dancer's junior year so that you have a firm set of schools you are interested in by the summer BEFORE of his/her senior year so that you can get an handle on the application/audition process.  This is especially important because some of these dual degree options require separate admission to each program.  For example, we had to apply to both the School of Kinesiology and the Dance Department at Univ of Michigan if she wanted to be able to study both.  Each department had different admissions requirements and different time tables.  And the dance department required the submission of a prescreen video to determine if your dancer would even be invited on campus to audition.   So if you start too late you may find that you don't have enough time to get everything done without a lot of stress. 

mom2rb

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
When my son was auditioning at Mercyhurst  University, they handed him two lists. One was for majors that work well as a double and one was for majors that don't. They were very honest and upfront about it. My son wants to go to law school and Political Science, History and Philosophy were all on the list that works well. I do believe that most schools are honest about what is and isn't possible. I bought the Dance Magazine College Guide last year. It lists all the schools that will and won't let you double major. That definitely helped narrow down our college audition choices. 
birdmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the responses. This is for a friend. My dancer realized that since he is a guy, he will still have dance opportunities even if he doesn't major in dance. I will forward your responses to her.
pinnellmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
My DD just graduated from Slippery Rock and they bend over backwards to accommodate dual majors. She loved their program
cdnmom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
An article about Double Majors
http://www.dancespirit.com/uncategorized/doubling-up/

(and my daughter is in the Point Park picture!)
jjjgirls

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnellmom
My DD just graduated from Slippery Rock and they bend over backwards to accommodate dual majors. She loved their program

My sister's roommate at SRU was a double major in dance and pre-physical therapy. They really do work with students to meet all their requirements in a timely manner. It's a great school.
pinnellmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
And I forgot to mention - Slippery Rock was just named 16th in the country for dance, 2nd in Pennsylvania.  Point Park did not make the list and it was ahead of Julliard.  Top in the country was NYU.
birdmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks for the additional responses!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.