Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
oldsailor

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #26 
We have dress rehearsal at the studio which means you aren't paying a venue for time to look at last minute costume adjustments.  We have a tech/stage rehearsal before recital.  Going with the flow is one of the many lessons dance can teach.  Comp kids often dance on stages they've never been on before.
nicknoralove

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreogal
This will be DD's first recital. Her studio decided that instead of holding a dress rehearsal at the venue, they are having it during her class time at the studio for the full hour of class time. Is it better to have it at the actual venue they are performing so the kids see the stage, etc beforehand?

Sorry I know I'm coming in really late to this discussion.

I danced for 10 years (age 4 - 14). We had one show each year and it was actually a musical production our SOs would write. So, we had a full rehearsal of the production at the studio the weekend before the show. Then, we had a dress rehearsal at the venue the day before the show.

Personally I found it helpful when I was younger, because I was more on the shy side and I liked being able to spend time on stage before the show so I wasn't so nervous.

The studio my daughter attends has a rehearsal at the venue on Friday evening and the show is on Sunday. My daughter is also on the shy side so I'm glad there will be a rehearsal at the venue. I think she'd get nervous and flustered if there weren't (she's only 4).
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
We do both; one a the studio and one at the venue.  Both in costume.
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittenmom3

At both studios we've attended, the recital rehearsals were as follows:

Mon -- studio rehearsal show #1 no costumes
Tues -- studio rehearsal show #2 no costumes
Wed -- blocking at venue no costumes
Thurs -- full dress at venue
Fri -- off
Sat -- recital day 1 and 7 pm shows

Is it better?  Probably, so the dancers can get a feel for the actual stage.  Plus, you get to see if there are any costume issues, how fast the changes need to be, etc. Some of our studio rooms are small, so the dancers can't spread out as they would be on the stage.  However, venue costs are quite high with paying the stage hands and custodial crews. 

I've found, though, recitals come together, venue rehearsal or not.  The dancers just seem to know what to do and everyone is delighted and excited to watch and perform.  Cherish this first recital!  So much fun [smile]

I'm all for making sure they are stage ready, but everyday that week?!?! lol Granted our recitals are always out of town (better stages and the local places are either booked or too expensive for the stage)

Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Growing up and at the studios my girl has been at, there's always been one night of a dress rehearsal at the venue and then the recital. One studio did have a morning and evening recital, but your child only attended one unless they were on the competitive team. There may also be some extra practices for production or multi group number practices.

nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #31 
We have a week of "in studio" dress rehearsals - at regular class time.  Then we pay a "rehearsal fee" - I think $20 pp, for the Stage rehearsal - at the venue.  We run that at 9 AM  - then actual show starts at 7 PM.  Then the last show is the next day.  Rehearsal at the venue takes a LOOONG time - with all the littles, light checks and music checks.

This is our week for dress rehearsals and recital - so I'm a little crazytown.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.