Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Oreogal

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
This will be DD's first recital. Her studio decided that instead of holding a dress rehearsal at the venue, they are having it during her class time at the studio for the full hour of class time. Is it better to have it at the actual venue they are performing so the kids see the stage, etc beforehand?
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We do both. A dress rehearsal in the studio and one on the actual stage.

I think it depends on the stage, as well as how much extra it would cost. I would be uncomfortable putting my kids onto a stage they'd never been on before, but if it meant the recital tickets were $10 each instead of $20 each, I might consider it.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Are you at dd's old studio? 

Just kidding. 

Old studio did something similar because they could not afford the theater time. There was an in studio dress rehearsal. it was not during class time, but at a separate time with everyone in attendance, a week before the show. It was a mad house. They did have separate call times for little ones and older ones, so the little ones would be done first and the oldest could help out. 

On the day of the show, they did a run through before the actual performance. The intention was for each group to come one stage, perform and exit, but when they ran out of time, sometimes the older dancers would only get to rehearse the entrances and exits. They made sure each group of young dancers had their time on stage. Hope it will be the same for your child! 
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
DD's first studio was a recreational program.  "Dress rehearsal" was during class time.  Parents were present and shown how to properly assemble the costume, makeup and hair was checked and corrections given, and kids ran their dances in the costumes a few times to get used to them. There was also a stage rehearsal the evening before the recital but to save time (and rental fees) kids ran their dances in regular dance clothes without makeup and costumes.  We paid cost or near cost for costumes, no extra fees for rehearsals, and recital tickets were very reasonably priced.  Every year the kids had a great time, parents were proud, and the performance generally went off without a hitch.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
We have a rehearsal at the venue with no costumes. The kids just wear their regular dance gear. I think it helps so the teachers can just focus on the routines and not trying to get the costumes right. The actual dress rehearsal is two weeks earlier they have it earlier so there is time to make any nessesary costume adjustments for problems that come up.
3girls

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We have two rehearsals at the venue, the first the dancers wear regular dance clothes the second is a full dress rehearsal.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Our recreational students have a full dress rehearsal at the venue.  It's hilarious.  So many show up without their costumes and the parents say, "we were supposed to bring them"?  But it's also such a fun night to be at (DD is there only because she class assists).  The kids are SO excited.  
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 

At both studios we've attended, the recital rehearsals were as follows:

Mon -- studio rehearsal show #1 no costumes
Tues -- studio rehearsal show #2 no costumes
Wed -- blocking at venue no costumes
Thurs -- full dress at venue
Fri -- off
Sat -- recital day 1 and 7 pm shows

Is it better?  Probably, so the dancers can get a feel for the actual stage.  Plus, you get to see if there are any costume issues, how fast the changes need to be, etc. Some of our studio rooms are small, so the dancers can't spread out as they would be on the stage.  However, venue costs are quite high with paying the stage hands and custodial crews. 

I've found, though, recitals come together, venue rehearsal or not.  The dancers just seem to know what to do and everyone is delighted and excited to watch and perform.  Cherish this first recital!  So much fun [smile]

Klba37

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
At Christmas Recital rehearsal is held at the studio during class time, no costumes; but the Larger End of Season Recital rehearsal is held at the venue in full costume.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa745
We do both. A dress rehearsal in the studio and one on the actual stage.

I think it depends on the stage, as well as how much extra it would cost. I would be uncomfortable putting my kids onto a stage they'd never been on before, but if it meant the recital tickets were $10 each instead of $20 each, I might consider it.

It could also be that the venue is simply not available for rent in the week before the recital.  The end of the year can be a very busy time for these places.

OP... it's certainly nice for them to have a feel for the stage and backstage area before the recital but I wouldn't worry too much as I would guess the SO has a plan.  Have you asked other moms how they've managed in previous years?  Perhaps they can put your mind at ease.
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Our SO's preference is to have "tech rehearsal" for the rec classes (at the venue, in costumes, but not necessarily in performance order) where they get about 15 minutes on the stage to run the dance multiple times.  Then there are dress rehearsals for each show that run exactly like the show, in costumes.  All of these are at the venue.  But, as Heidi pointed out, some years SO is not able to get the venue for enough time to do all of that.  We have had dress rehearsals at the studio and they work well for checking for costume issues and giving the kids a run-through that feels real.  Most of them go to comps all the time where they don't get to practice on the stage beforehand, so it's not a new thing for them.
Charade

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
We have an in studio dress rehearsal, then a bare stage rehearsal at the venue, and finally a dress rehearsal at the venue.
Sparklejamie1212

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
both. We do a tech rehearsal at the studio, then a dress rehearsal at the theater. 
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Our studio does a costume check and run through when the kids try on their costumes for the first time at the studio.  The SO watches and marks any adjustments that need to be made (she does all the sewing).  They wear them again forone run through in class once final alterations have been made.

We then have a dress rehearsal at the theatre the day before recital.  It is not done in show order.  Rec classes run through first and usually get to perform their routine a couple of times.  then in the afternoon they move to the comp groups.  Sometimes they will run their entire dance once and sometimes it is just 10-15 seconds to get the lighting right.  After that is s/d/t and then all song and dance routines are last.

It is nice when the kids get a chance to be on the stage and since our recital has full lighting and effects our SO wants to be able to see how things are really going to look during the show.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
It is not ideal by any stretch of the imagination to not have at least a little stage time on the actual stage before the show.  But I guarantee that there is a reason they are doing this.  The venue is either not available for that extra day of rehearsal or it is way too expensive to consider purchasing another day of stage time.  It would be nice if this is the reason to try and get the kids to do a run through a couple of hours before the show...but that might be limited by the age of the dancers.  Little kids (and little kid's parents) might not be able to tolerate a longer day.
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
First, apologies to ERIN'SMA. I accidently clicked the dislike button on your post when I was trying to click on the previous page. But I "un-disliked" it so I hope that didn't affect your reputation! Lol!

Second, to the OP, as some have stated previously, I think it's ideal to have some sort of rehearsal at the actual venue, but there are actually so many variables as to whether it's truly necessary. If the recital is for a rec class of very little ones, they will most likely have a teacher walk them onto the stage and walk them back. The only advantage of a dress rehearsal at the actual venue is so they possibly won't be nervous the day of the show to go on stage. I don't think a full dress rehearsal for the older ones is always necessary either. For us, we would have been performing long before the end-of-year concert so our costume issues would already be worked out. We do one tech rehearsal at the theater the day before but there are no costumes.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
This and last studio (and I believe the one before that, too!) usually spent a full 5-7 days at the actual venue leading up to recitals, and for ballets at current studio, we can be at the venue for up to 10 days. I tend to believe this is the absolute best way to do it--especially for older kids who really need to utilize the full space of the stage. 

However, depending on the age of the kids, it might not be a big deal. And again, as others have pointed out, the venue very well could be unavailable.
Oreogal

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I can't edit the title, but it looks like this is just a recital rehearsal. The email didn't say anything about "dress or costume" in it. This is the first year they are having it in the studio and it said that when it used to be at the venue, it was only 15 minutes long. I'm assuming she meant each class only had 15 min. on stage. They used to charge a $20 fee for this rehearsal at the venue, so I'm "assuming". there will be no fee then. The studio also doesn't charge a recital fee either, thank the lord. I'm just wondering how my 4 year old is going to react being up on stage having never seen it before.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #19 
If they don't actually do some kind of stage rehearsal my recommendation would be to see if you can at least take her out to see the stage before the recital starts.  Show her the backstage area and explain how it is going to be dark there and that she has to be very suiet.  Show her the stage when the lights are up and explain that you will be watching from the seats to see her dance beautifully.  Hopefully that will allay any fears she may have.
emcandance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreogal
This will be DD's first recital. Her studio decided that instead of holding a dress rehearsal at the venue, they are having it during her class time at the studio for the full hour of class time. Is it better to have it at the actual venue they are performing so the kids see the stage, etc beforehand?

We practice at the auditorium on the college campus where we don't pay as parents for rehearsals, we do pay for our recital tickets.  Parents are not allowed in to watch any of the practices.  I think it is great that SO does it that way.

DMSO

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
There have been 2 chronic vents going on on studio owner sites. One is costume manufacturing issues - 2 reliable companies having delivery and quality issues. The other is recital venue issues. I've heard of rent nearly doubling, double bookings, and refusing to confirm dates until 4 weeks before recital. Not sure why there's a run on these 2 particular issues but trouble usually comes in waves. There's been a lot of problem solving brain storming over what's the most cost effective way to hold a rehearsals and recital; what's the least disruptive to families; etc. Hopefully, if there is an issue, you aren't necessarily hearing about it because the SO is working on it quietly in the background. Sometimes changes aren't always a desire but a necessity.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #22 
We always have a full dress rehearsal at the venue. And yes it is better for the dancers to get the feel of the stage etc.  I would guess when rehearsal is not being held at the venue it is due to unavailability of the venue at that time or financial reasons.
MamaOf2

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Our studio has a full dress rehersal for recital dances a full month ahead of the recital weekend to allow for comments or recommendations to the costume/hair/etc.  This is also when they take pictures.

During the week of recital, each group does take the actual recital stage dancing through their number a few times in regular class clothing.

Works great!
LeapYear0208

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #24 
We go over hair and makeup for picture week. We do that in February. In May we have parent meetings where we go over it all again. Dress rehearsal is on stage the Wednesday before recital, full costume, hair and makeup. The kids start to learn dances in February and practice every week in class. Towards the end of May/beginning of June they will go into other classes or other classes will go into theirs and dance for one another.
BreezysMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #25 

We have a full dress rehearsal at the venue (costumes, hair makeup, etc) the day before each show (recital is split up into 2 shows).  Everyone rehearses with the exception of the comp dances.  The downside is you basically get to see the show before the show goes on, however it is a great way for family to see their kids dance without having to buy a ticket. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: