Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
shewolf

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
When DD was 18 months 2, 3, 4 Ballet was a standard.  This year 5 Ballet was optional.  Next year 6yrs old Ballet will be optional.  I have noticed a lot of the kids are not taking ballet (my DD loves it so we take it)  I always thought ballet would be a standard in order to lengthen muscles, keep the body stretched,  work on core.  Are other studios offering this as an option??
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I'm sorry, are you saying that your studio has offered "ballet" for students as young as 18 months?!?! I am completely perplexed by that, it is simply not developmentally appropriate.

Our studio begins ballet at 8. That seems fairly standard. Toddlers do things like "creative movement", the kindergarten aged crowd tends to do combo classes. They may wear pink leos with tutus attached and ballet slippers, but at best, it is pre-ballet. True ballet engaging proper form, turnout, etc, is something not generally offered until 7-8.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Ballet has always been required. As they get older, multiple ballet classes have been required.
shewolf

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
baby ballet- 2yrs old ballet, tumbling
tiny toes- 3yrs old ballet tap tumble
kool kids- pre k ballet tap tumble
mini- kindergarten/1st grade- tap jazz hip hop
kinder ballet (optional)
Petites- 2nd grade- tap jazz hip hop
Petites ballet (optional)

3/4th grade your pick from tap jazz ballet hip hop or contemporary by the hour
5-7th grade your pick from tap jazz ballet hip hop or contemporary by the hour
8th-12 grade your pick from tap jazz ballet hip hop or contemporary by the hour

under 1hr
1-1:30 hours week
1:45-2:15 hours week
2:30-3:00 hours week
3:15-3:30 hours week
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Ballet and jazz are both required for comp team. But rec classes you can take whatever you want(tap, jazz, hip hop, acro, stretch and strength) just not lyrical without ballet. And even then, you need at least one year.
shewolf

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I just thought it was strange that they drop ballet (or balletish tutu dancing as dance moms say about younger kids) down to an option so quickly.  Now I have no clue the real difference between hip hop and jazz I figure they are one in the same but I never took a hip hop class lol
threedancingdaughters

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Our toddlers (2-3) do creative movement type class, preschool age does combo class with tap/ballet. Not necessarily true ballet technique but introducing basic movements, positions, terminology. Our additional ballet technique classes don't have a specific minimum age that I'm aware of, but most kids don't start until 1st/2nd/3rd grade. A couple join in earlier, a few later. I can't imagine many younger kids (preschool age) having the patience or attention span for a ballet technique class.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
The ballet they do in preschool is mostly teaching a few positions and teaching some of the very simple basics. They call it ballet mostly for marketing purposes, IMHO. It's not a standard ballet class like what older students do-a certain set of technique, combos, and movement that builds and gets progressively more difficult as the student gets older. Like previous posters said, the ballet I class is usually 1 class per week for 90 minutes starting around age 8. 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Children are not actually learning ballet at those ages no matter what the class is called.

A studio that drops ballet or makes it purely optional for anyone over the age of 8 (when actual ballet training really begins) is not a serious studio. Nothing wrong with that unless they present themselves as something they are not. 

An actual ballet class for an older child (maybe age 9  and up, probably older at a non-ballet focused school) is 90 minutes long. An hour long ballet class means something (many things) are being excluded. 

Dd danced at a comp studio where ballet was optional for recreational students. Always mandatory for anyone on a competition team. The amount varied by level/team. She also danced at a hip hop based studio where ballet was optional but offered 3 days a week, 90 minute classes, 2 or 3 levels with the top level going all 3 days. I noticed that the most successful hip hop dancers were also taking the intermediate/advanced ballet classes 2 or 3 days each week. 
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
At DD's first dance school the lower levels where combo classes... so it would be "ballet", "tap", and/or "jazz" combined over the length of the class.  I put the styles in " " because it's not technically teaching any style at that age... at 2, 3, etc. it's really just creative movement... they teach the positions, some terminology, but don't really push anything technical yet.

As they get older the length of the combo class increases from 45 minutes with just ballet... to an hour with ballet, tap, and tumbling (forward rolls, log rolls... nothing extravagant)... to an hour with just ballet and tap... to an hour and a half with ballet, tap and jazz.  By the time they progress out of the combo classes and into full hour classes for each style of dance they're typically about 6 or 7.

Once it's no longer a combo class they can chose any style of dance they'd like.  So, in a way, I suppose you could say ballet was required for the younger ages and then not... but it's really just because they've progressed beyond a combo class.  That said, the competition kids were still required to take ballet, jazz, and tap.  The rec kids had no requirements, and many opt to drop ballet.
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Baby classes at both DDs current (comp studio with good ballet) and previous (pre pro ballet studio) were all "pre ballet" creative movement typ classes. Sure, they wear little pink tutus and slippers and use rudimentary ballet terms etc, but no "real" ballet was taught until around age 7.
At DDs current studio no classes are mandatory for the recreational dancers, you can sign up for whatever you want (in your skill level, which is determined by the teachers). If you do NOT do ballet, it's highly unlikely you will move very fast, if at all, through the other genres.
Dancers in the competition company are required to take ballet (min 3x90min for the older dancers) as well as all other genres they compete in. If you don't want to compete in hip hop, musical theater or tap for instance, you can choose not to take those. But ballet, progressions, jazz, contemporary and stretch classes are mandatory.
Ballet is highly en ouraged at any age, for any dancer.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I was astounded at a convention last year when a number of kids skipped ballet classes.  Didn't realize optional ballet was a thing.
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Ballet is required to take almost any other genre (exceptions are hip hop, acro and aerial) at our studio except the adult classes. I agree with other posters about no "real" ballet being taught at age 2, though, lol. At 2 around here, it's creative movement + starting to learn terminology/positions (1st position, flex, point, etc). According to our studio, ballet is the foundation of all other dance. They make exceptions for hip hop, acro and aerial because the technique and terminology is not fully the same for those. However, I notice that all of the kids in DD's advanced acro and aerial also take ballet. I doubt that's a coincidence. Even at DD's aerial studio where ballet isn't offered (only a "dance" class), the better aerialists for the most part are ones either taking ballet somewhere else or who have a ballet background (at a ballet studio until 13+). Also, 2 of DD's friends are competitive gymnasts and take ballet for their technique.
LeapYear0208

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Ballet is required for team members, but optional for rec dancers. Minis are required 2 hours a week, my daughter usually takes 3. I am not sure if the requirement is still 2 hours once they hit jr or if it is more. Once the hit pre-pointe/pointe it goes up. 

We have combo classes for 3-4yr olds with ballet, tap and tumbling. Once they hit 5 it is individual hours of whatever subject(s) they want to take.
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Ballet is required for our pre-company and company members (our youngest company members are age 5 and they take ballet twice a week).

All other groups ballet is optional but "highly encouraged."

Then of course we have pre-school ballet classes that are your really basic ballet moves where they perform in the end-of-year recital to a really cute song...or just stand on stage and wave at mom and dad! Lol!
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Just my opinion, but ballet should never be optional, unless someone is dancing for recreation only.  As others have mentioned, ballet is the foundation for all dance.  Skipping it is one thing - that's the kid's loss, but not requiring it for "serious/competition" dancers is just crazy to me.  If my kid was not learning technique, I would pull her in a heart beat. Competition dance costs a lot of money and if someone is willing to pay that kind of cost, they should at least be getting foundational training.  You will not get far without great technique if you are serious about dance.

DD had so many things to correct when she switched to ballet only at a serious ballet school, but at least she was in ballet classes the entire time she was doing competition dance.  Bad ballet, but at least she was learning technique.  Not requiring it for older kids just seems weird to me.    
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shewolf
I just thought it was strange that they drop ballet (or balletish tutu dancing as dance moms say about younger kids) down to an option so quickly.  Now I have no clue the real difference between hip hop and jazz I figure they are one in the same but I never took a hip hop class lol

DD14 would be horrified of the idea of Jazz and Hip Hop being considered the same thing lol.  She very adamantly hates hip hop.  Actually threaten to quit dance all together when her former studio considered making hip hop mandatory for team.   She loves jazz.  I'm sure someone else can give the more technical differences but they are definitely different styles of dance.
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I wouldn't call any dance at the pre-school age level a specific style. They learn the basic idea of the style, whether it be ballet, tap, jazz.  They learn some of the terminology, but to say they are truly teaching ballet for an 18 month old, sorry is just funny. Even at 3-4 calling it ballet is a stretch, they are more or less playing ballerina at that age.

That being said, at my D's studio, you had to take ballet in order to be on comp team, even if you were a tapper or hip hop dancer.  Ballet is the fundamental basis for pretty much all dance and teaches dancers technique and proper alignment that helps in all styles of dance.  However, it is not required, but IMO, I wouldn't recommend skipping it.

beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2miracles

DD14 would be horrified of the idea of Jazz and Hip Hop being considered the same thing lol.  She very adamantly hates hip hop.  Actually threaten to quit dance all together when her former studio considered making hip hop mandatory for team.   She loves jazz.  I'm sure someone else can give the more technical differences but they are definitely different styles of dance.

Jazz and hip-hop are definitely totally different styles! I have seen people call routines "hip-hop" at competitions but it ended up just really being jazz. 
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #20 
DS started "ballet" at 2 but it was very rudimentary.  The studio called it pre school ballet.  Children at that age just don't have the ability to learn real ballet.  By 5 he was taking his first ballet exam so had obviously learned SOME technique at that point as he scored the highest level on that exam.  What I came to know was "real ballet" didn't happen until we started at studio 2 at 8 years old.

As far as the studio not having mandatory ballet that is ridiculous for serious dancers.  Both studios we attended had ballet for rec kids that was entirely optional but all comp kids had to take ballet.  The first studio it was only ever 1 1/2 hours/week but the second studio increased hours as they aged.  By the time he was about 12 years old he was in ballet 6 hours/week as mandatory classes if he wanted to compete.  If the studio is not offering mandatory ballet for competitive dancers they are not giving them proper technique training.
tappingfeet

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Both my DDs started "ballet" as toddlers.  It was through the Rec Centre and was called, "Bouncing Bunnies Ballet".  Of course, it was just creative movement, but it was advertised as "ballet".  My daughters loved getting dressed in their pink leos, tights, ballet slippers, and tutus.    Real ballet started at our studio at age 5 with a PrePrimary syllabus.  At that age (Kindergarten) the dance genres were already separated at our studio.  DD at age 5 took 45 minute separate classes in Tap, Acro, Ballet, and Modern.  All these classes followed a syllabus and had optional exams.  

As others have said, ballet is the foundation for all dance, and I think it would be pretty uncommon for it to be an elective if you are a competitive dancer. 
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
I totally understand team kids being required to take ballet, but I do not think all dancers should be required to do so.

My oldest DD takes one tap class a week, and has for the last four years. She does not want to become a dancer, doesn't really care how good she gets, and dances primarily for fun. Making someone like her take a ballet class would be ridiculous, IMO, and would just make her quit dancing altogether.

Some kids dance for fun. And that's ok.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa745
I totally understand team kids being required to take ballet, but I do not think all dancers should be required to do so. My oldest DD takes one tap class a week, and has for the last four years. She does not want to become a dancer, doesn't really care how good she gets, and dances primarily for fun. Making someone like her take a ballet class would be ridiculous, IMO, and would just make her quit dancing altogether. Some kids dance for fun. And that's ok.

I agree. Ballet should be required for team members only. I don't understand why any rec student would be required to take any class.
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
When DD was 18 months 2, 3, 4 Ballet was a standard.  This year 5 Ballet was optional.  Next year 6yrs old Ballet will be optional.  I have noticed a lot of the kids are not taking ballet (my DD loves it so we take it)  I always thought ballet would be a standard in order to lengthen muscles, keep the body stretched,  work on core.  Are other studios offering this as an option??

I assume you are talking about recreational classes offered at your studio. Your daughter is not on a competition team, correct? As little girls get older, some kids just want to take a "fun" dance class a week. They have other interest, school, sports, music, etc. Most want to take jazz or Hip hop. Ballet is a foundation but it only applies when you are a serious dancer. 

Our studio's comp team has mandatory 3/week, 90-minutes ballet classes. Age 8 and up and by age/ability levels. For 7 and under team, it's just once a week.
Mama2aHappyDancer

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Ballet has only been a requirement for company at both studios dd has been at. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.