Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
MimisMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My dd (7) was offered a Lyricsl solo (along with a trio and other groups). We haven’t started choreography yet and I have no idea what the song is going to be but I’ve been looking at different options of costumes for her.
There are obviously a lot of beautiful costumes you can order or have custom made but I’ve also been looking on buy and sell sites to see if anyone is selling something that could work.
I won’t lie, I’m trying to keep costs down as much as possible and I know the studio is pretty open to reusing, unless they have a specific vision.
My question is, on stage...in front of judges...does it really matter whether the costume cost $30 or $300? Does it impact the marks? Can you really tell? Our studio does s lot of rhinestones so you can see the sparkle. I guess it could always be added.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Spend your money on lessons/choreo/cleanup.  Not costumes.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
No it doesn't matter.  I'm only going to reveal this to illustrate my point, not to brag... my dd came in 1st/titled/received costume awards numerous times in her last year of comp w/one $25 costume & one $45 costume (& no sparkle whatsoever on either).  Don't get sucked into the hype.  If you love the idea of custom & bling & don't mind spending the money... then have fun & do it.  But if you are thinking of doing it because you have been led to believe that it is necessary to get noticed/do well... please don't do it.  It's not.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Mimismom - I know you are in Toronto and up here it seems like all the big studios do fancy custom made costumes starting at $300 but IME competing in the same area it has been the costumes that fit the song and style that win things like costumes awards - not necessarily the most expensive flashiest ones.  We won the costume award for the entire competition with a production where costumes mostly came from the kids closets and the party store.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I think what matters most is the costume fitting the dance (and also the dancer- lol)
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I agree. DD13's contemporary costume last year was a plain black leotard.
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Big studio still reuse costumes for S/D/T, especially the little ones.
sarahannexo

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimisMom
My dd (7) was offered a Lyricsl solo (along with a trio and other groups). We haven’t started choreography yet and I have no idea what the song is going to be but I’ve been looking at different options of costumes for her. There are obviously a lot of beautiful costumes you can order or have custom made but I’ve also been looking on buy and sell sites to see if anyone is selling something that could work. I won’t lie, I’m trying to keep costs down as much as possible and I know the studio is pretty open to reusing, unless they have a specific vision. My question is, on stage...in front of judges...does it really matter whether the costume cost $30 or $300? Does it impact the marks? Can you really tell? Our studio does s lot of rhinestones so you can see the sparkle. I guess it could always be added.

Nope. Not at all. You're only losing marks if it's inappropriate.

I've spent a mortgage payment on a solo costume and the best that solo ever did as 2nd place overall. DD grew more, the following year, when she had a black leotard from discount dance supply that her (then new) teacher stoned. We learned a huge lesson in switching studios.. Dance isn't a fashion show and I wish someone we trusted would have taught us that sooner.

Don't get caught up in the bells and whistles. Swarovski won't make a bad foot look better.
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannexo

Nope. Not at all. You're only losing marks if it's inappropriate.

I've spent a mortgage payment on a solo costume and the best that solo ever did as 2nd place overall. DD grew more, the following year, when she had a black leotard from discount dance supply that her (then new) teacher stoned. We learned a huge lesson in switching studios.. Dance isn't a fashion show and I wish someone we trusted would have taught us that sooner.

Don't get caught up in the bells and whistles. Swarovski won't make a bad foot look better.

THIS!!!!!
lovemykids

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
We do very nice -and pricey, in the $300s- custom costumes every year for most of our dances. I actually have a very cute lyrical costume in perfect condition from when she was a mini that I could sell you for half the price. I don't know how to send you a private message but if you do and are interested, message me
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
^Agree! I've seen some pretty out of this world costumes that must have cost a crazy amount and they made no difference to how a dance placed. Our Musical Theatre group actually won a costume award last year because the costumes were a perfect fit for the theme of the routine and helped tell the story - costumes were custom but they weren't blinged out like a vegas showgirl! I did drop in on one comp last season that we weren't attending, it was just next door to my work, and saw a girl doing a tap solo wearing tap shoes that were completely covered in rhinestones - those things were blinding! but her technique was lacking against the others I saw in that session so I'm sure she didn't score any points for the shoes.
Mumof4

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Everyone here pretty much hit the nail on the head. My minis solo teacher lets me look for custumes that fit our budget.
She placed first for jazz in a second hand costume that I got for $25 dollars and altered and a headpiece i cut off a $3 kmart headband!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.