Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #51 
I know this thread is 2 years old, but I had to resurrect it because our mini team certainly feels like we are at our wit's end with props. "I hate props!" has been us parents mantra this season. Every mini dance our team has this year has big, multi-piece props. The studio is doing a production number as well that has numerous big props. Our prop trailer is crammed to the gills and things have already been damaged just taking to/from our pre-season showcase. And we parents are responsible at each competition for getting said props from the loading dock onto the stage and then back to the loading dock to be packed away. Argh! I've had the fun task this week of starting to round up volunteers for prop duty and am hitting brick walls of parent silence. Thankfully my kid is only in 3 of the 5 mini routines and I have nothing to do with the production props. But sheesh, I'd like to see my kid dance on stage at least once and not be stuck by default with prop duty. Thankfully for my DD9s solo she only has a cane prop - I just have to remember to actually bring it to comp! 

Anybody else up to their eyeballs in props this year?
mom24

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #52 
Put a cooler full of beer and a portable grill in the prop truck, and let the dads know they are welcome to hang out back there with the other dads instead of sitting in the auditorium all day.  I swear we have too many dads back there now.  Dads that never came to comps will come hang out and tailgate all afternoon and help with props just because they are having fun "helping".  😉  
Billpayer2000

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carriesmom
I am not a fan.  DD had a prop for her solo several years ago (SO's idea - definitely not mine or DD's) and we had Nationals clear across the country, such that I had to either ship that d*%$ thing or find someone that was driving because there was no way we could take it on the plane.  Fortunately we found a family that was driving and had room, as there was only room for the group props in the small truck SO rented and soloists were told they were responsible for their own props.  Unless they really add something to the danced I think they are sort of an unnecessary complication.

Side vent but one thing that always bugged me at competitions were the studios that had gigantic props that took up the whole backstage area and took a ton of time (and an army of dads) to set up.  I remember DD being in a group number several years ago that involved some of the girls having to switch sides of the stage behind the curtain in the middle of the dance - the girls raced over only to smack right into a group of dads wheeling an enormous black (ie not really visible in the dark) spider web thing right in the dancers' backstage path.  One of our dancers got hurt in the collision; the dads apparently jumped the gun in wheeling the prop in and the backstage manager for the comp had no idea that the thing was coming right in the dancers' path.  When the "spider girls" came onstage after a huge delay so they could finish the prop they didn't even use it at all in their dance, just danced in front of it in costumes with webs on them.  Unnecessary.

IF my dancer gets hurt on someone else's prop...I might get in a fight in the parking lot. 

AnnaBeav

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #54 
I live in a city so my one car is tiny. I would need to buy a larger car or a trailer if I was responsible for transporting a large prop. I wonder if choreographers ever take that into consideration? 
2dornot2d

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBeav
I live in a city so my one car is tiny. I would need to buy a larger car or a trailer if I was responsible for transporting a large prop. I wonder if choreographers ever take that into consideration? 

Usually our studio gets a U Haul to transport props if they are too big to fit in a parent's car. One of the teachers/choreographers drives it to competitions. Parents help loading/unloading. It's the studio's responsibility to support the choreographer's vision. I don't love multi-piece-as-big-as-stage props but when it's used well it actually add different dimensions to dances. If it's a solo and parents could work with the choreographer.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.