Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Lots of great reasons have been mentioned for why it could be important to be there for that group photo even if you don't intend to buy it.  Before being swayed by them, however, you have to determine if any of those reasons apply to your situation. I know they wouldn't have applied to me when dd was at the old studios. Photos weren't displayed in the lobby or in recital programs. And she's now on studio #4 since the age of 3... so we wouldn't know those kids she started out with from a hole in the wall. Class photos at the studios my dd went to were for no one but the parents.  And you could always count on at least a handful of kids opting out. 

IDK  I just know that it's not always as simple as "just go for the class photo even if you aren't going to buy it".  Some people have other children, multiple commitments, the studio could be a distance away... lots of things to consider.   Again, don't let other people's priorities pressure you into doing something you really don't wish to do if your decision doesn't impact them.  The sooner you understand that it is you who are in control here the better.  Trust me, if you stick this dance thing out the pressures to do this, that and the other will only get worse as the years go on.
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
We have picture week too and we've always participated and purchased packages. However, reasonably priced packages were available. I've done everything from one 8x10 and some wallets to larger pkgs. these days dd 13 is in 6 dances so buying one of every costume is just too much. I get the groups and then she gets to pick an 8x10 of her favorite pose.

Never in 10 years have I done professional hair, make up, etc. a bit of overkill for a preschooler IMO. I say, do whatever you are most comfortable with. [smile]
bbismack

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #28 
I always purchase the group pictures and then buy some of the proofs. I scrapbook, and we are not allowed to shoot pictures while the professionals are shooting. We do take alot of pictures before and after the photographers. We do not have any kind of mandatory purchases. DD is graduating this year and it will probably 2020 before I get all the dance pictures in a scrapbook!
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Ah yes, I remember now the main reason I don't buy the whole package. For the pictures, they take the kids in the room with no parents, so I didn't even get to see what I was buying, and wasn't happy with the pose they chose.(Which is why they don't allow parents, takes longer)
Her studio focuses on being a family studio, and many of the kids stay together through out their whole dance years. They have all the group shots in a big frame for each year that the studio was open displayed in the lobby and hall. I know when we pull out the pics, it's all fun memories she has of the girls over the past few years. Honestly the girls that are only there a year, she doesn't remember their names, and it's no loss if they were not in the picture. I have my profile pic on Facebook actually of my DD waiting to go on stage with one of her friends at 6 years old. They are still in the same ballet class at 12 years. I danced one year at another studio, my DD went to a workshop there, and I am still on their wall! So neat to show my DD.
tappingfeet

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer

I love pictures. I've stated it many times. Of the moms on this board that follow each other on Instagram? I'm the one that posts the most. I need Instagrammers Anonymous! Our studio doesn't do group shots but more like individual sport photos which I like because it has the name of the dance, the teacher, the class, etc. I have bought every single picture in every single costume. I buy the pics at comps - unless I can take the pics myself that is. (I also think I take pretty darn good dance pics!) I am also a scrapbooker so that may make a difference because I actually 'use' the pics and they're not just sitting in a box in a closet.

I  love your pictures, 1tinydancer, and you are a great photographer!  

I am also a huge picture person and an avid scrapbooker.  Our studio does not do photo day and I really wish we did.  I do buy the professional photos from comp, but it is really hard to get pictures of the dances my DD does not compete in (Ballet, Modern, etc).  Pictures are one thing I don't mind spending money on.  We get so much joy looking at the scrapbooks, I know I am never going to regret having pictures.  But professional hair and makeup for preschoolers-totally unnecessary IMO.
LeapYear0208

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #31 
We already had our picture week. I have 2 kids, 3 costumes each this year. I paid $85. I got 2-4 poses of each costume and a sibling picture on a disc. It was well worth it to me this year. The first year my oldest one danced the CD and pics were HORRIBLE and they didnt even take individuals of my DD in one of her two costumes. Last year it was just my youngest dancing and I didnt bother with the CD. After the fiasco with our first year, I started taking the girls to a photographer here in town and she redid the dance pictures as well as taking their sibling and individuals I get done every year. She did them for me this year too, but a lot of the studio pictures turned out amazing. I don't regret spending $85 on top of what I paid our photographer for her unlimited package (I got my graduation pics done with her too).

I did hair and makeup myself. I wouldnt pay someone to do it at all. Our styles are fairly easy, it depends on the class/costume, this year we have half up half down(tap for both kiddos), high pony (youngest acro and oldest jazz, a 'funky' style (oldest hip hop) and pig tails (youngest-team).

I don't bother with the group pics because they are in the program. 

We don't have to buy all of those extras at our studio for recital either. We buy tickets for anyone coming to watch. They need proper tights and shoes as well. Only other thing really is the shirt, which I do buy each year for my dancers (this year both kids). When they are older I will have a quilt made out of their special shirts. 

Meant to add that we do have to pay a $5 fee per group to be in the pic, but there is a not to exceed price. This helps pay for the programs. Which are amazing. An obviously the costume fees, we pay those in the fall each season.
dirtchic

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #32 
So I have to admit for the first couple of years of nutcracker I paid to get dd's hair done. I'm not a girly type person and had no clue how to do a bun. Dd also had a cute short hair style so the bun took a bit of extra effort. Once I figured out that I would have to be doing buns 10 times a year, I figured out how to do them. But I never had it professionally done for pictures.

I do buy at least one 5x7 of each of dd's costumes and then a group shot from my favorite dance. Our new studio uses the same photographer as the old studio and the prices are about the same. They are way more expensive than the soccer pictures I got but not $50 for the cheapest package. I think it's $10 or 15 for a 5x7 which seems reasonable until you times it by 8 company dances and 4 recital dances.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #33 
I have always bought a small package of whatever turned out cutest--so I definitely don't have the studio pics of every costume they've ever had. We are unsure whether we are having studio pics this year, but if they have them, I will definitely buy some. No sense in having to do it in studio (which, when we do have pics, everyone has to be there for groups and such) and then spending the time and energy to do it elsewhere as well. My time is worth more than whatever minimal savings I may scrape up going somewhere else.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #34 
For whatever it's worth... I think the benefit of going elsewhere has to do with getting more for your money not necessarily spending less (although you certainly could spend less if that was your goal) since you aren't restricted to a set of predetermined packages.  Or a limited number of poses.  I remember a friend of mine who has four girls in dance.  She took her girls to some place like the Picture People and got an amazing selection of shots of all her girls. The same amount of money would've gotten her significantly less... in variety, quality and quantity... if she'd spent it on the dance studio packages.
dancypants

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #35 
I've never bought any recital or comp dance pictures (the year she did that), I bought one from Yagp (too expensive!). I did set up my ghetto home studio (home made foil reflectors, a black felt background) and take some myself in all her comp dance costumes before we turned them in the year did that, I never bothered with her ballet school recital. I could seriously wallpaper my house with dance photos- I try to limit what comes in!

And it's only been not quite 3 years she has danced...in another 5 I guess I will have to move to a warehouse!
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
For whatever it's worth... I think the benefit of going elsewhere has to do with getting more for your money not necessarily spending less (although you certainly could spend less if that was your goal) since you aren't restricted to a set of predetermined packages.  Or a limited number of poses.  I remember a friend of mine who has four girls in dance.  She took her girls to some place like the Picture People and got an amazing selection of shots of all her girls. The same amount of money would've gotten her significantly less... in variety, quality and quantity... if she'd spent it on the dance studio packages.

I can see that, and having a couple of dancers, I generally do try to figure out the smartest option on things financially. I tend to be annoyingly into getting the most bang for my buck with a lot of things.  

However, the times we have had in-studio pictures, we had to be there for all of the scheduled classes my girls would have throughout the week. It always ended up being pretty close to a full week of messing with costumes, hair, and sometimes make-up and I generally feel burned out on pictures by the end. I have never been in a hurry to have to do it again, even in pursuit of what may amount to a smarter option. 
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #37 
Our studio does have picture week, and group shots as well as individual shots are available for all the classes AND comp routines (plus solos, if applicable). For my DD, this means 14 different group pictures, plus solo and possible individuals. I'm not going to buy all of them! I already know a couple I'm skipping because I'm not going to love the recital costumes. The others, I'm kinda hemming and hawing about to be honest. I'd like for her to have some mementos of this year, I'm also a huge picture person. However, I have purchased the pictures from one of the competitions so I do technically have pictures of everyone in her group routines... Do I really "need" to spend $20 on one group picture in costume for each of those dances..? I have some decent action pictures of her in her solo costume, and I also take plenty of beautiful dance pictures myself so I can certainly take some of her in her solo costume if she wants. I'll probably end up choosing about 5 group pictures to buy and skipping the rest, most of the classes are the same people anyways...
Daniella03

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #38 
I bought photos this year. It was $65 for a disk with all her groups and individuals in each costume.

Our photos are done at a pretty spot outside and if the weather is bad inside at the studio.

We've already seen some sneak peeks and I'm super happy with how they look even if they're not of my kid. I can't wait to see them. I can email off and put them on Facebook and print as many as I like.

We are required to have their hair in the required style for that dance. Ours were ballet bun and curly pony tail. We also had assigned hair and make up but weren't told a brand or shade other than lipstick. But we're given pictures of how they would like it to look.

I would if it's feasible bring your daughter for the group photo, I wouldn't pay for professional hair and make up.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #39 
I have always bought the class pictures, as they are fun for me to look at, and I suspect fun for the kids when they're old.

We just got the picture day announcement. No group photos this year, only individual shots. I'm very disappointed. [frown]

Last year they didn't do group shots for the team dances, which I totally supported.  But none at all seems odd to me. I can take a picture of my son in his costume anywhere. I will never get one with him and his classmates in a cute pose.

I'm not even going to go to picture day. Sad, sad thing.
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #40 
My oldest dancer just graduated and for her gift the SO gave her a multiple-year poster print of about 7 different pictures through the years.  It is like looking at her growing up through the years and has the studio name and the years she was there.  It is beautiful!  And if she hadn't gone in each year to get her picture taken with the group, the SO wouldn't have had them.  Having just put 15 years of pictures our for a graduation party, I would recommend that you always take your DD and make sure she is a part of the group photo and that you do at least one individual picture each year.  Don't spend a fortune but I don't have a group pic from her first year and I regret it.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #41 
I will give you my point of view now that my dd has moved on to a professional level.  I was just moving some things around last week-end and found the box with the "dance photo albums" in it.  I have, literally, thousands of photos in boxes, not organized, not dated, etc., BUT her dance photos are in albums, by date. 

I looked back on her recital and competition photos and cried and yes, I have every recital photo ever offered, including groups and solos.  And we also had to pay for EVERYTHING, like the OP mentioned.  They are so flippin' cute and so many things went through my mind about how this very long journey all started.  To me, looking back, I would be so sad if I didn't have them.

That being said, everyone is different and I'm giving my point of view from hindsight - the money's gone, can't and wouldn't change it and to me, totally worth it.  For me now, it's all about the great memories.  I got much worse at keeping hard copies of photos, once everything went electronic, so those photos mean the world to me.  And some of them are so dang funny!!  But you should do what feels right for your family and don't get caught up in the "hype" that starts to happen around recital time. 
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #42 
I'm a big fan of photos. I love photos as memories and I love looking through them now and then and reminisce. Dance/recital pictures included. I have DDs from her first year in dance on up, and the first ones are soooo adorable!
That said.... Last recital (our first with this studio) I purchased a group shot of each dance, I bought the individual pic only of one dance, but group shots of all others. This year, I purchased one individual pic of one of her ballet dances, and a large individual pic of her solo. I also purchased one individual pic of my younger DDs ballet (she does only ballet and hip hop). DD got to choose, she could have asked for more and I would have paid for them but she only wanted those. We will purchase the DVDs of the performances, and she has plenty of nice pictures from the competition routines already. Lots of nice action group shots as well as some very nice frames of her. So, we both felt that it was a little excessive to purchase a lot of them.

If I would have purchased a "memory mate" (one 8x10 with both the group and individual, the cheapest option available) for each dance DD is in plus the 2 my younger DD is in.... It would have set me back over $350. That, to me, is insane. The prices went up this year, well deserved I am sure as the photographer was supposedly very good, but still....

I should mention that I'm pretty handy with a camera and I do frequently have photo shoots with my daughters. We will go out and take some nice pictures in a few of the recital costumes, just for fun. Some I won't bother with as neither me nor the girls like them.
greenhorn

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #43 
We have great turnout for picture day.  The kids look forward to the composites being displayed. Now, I am a picture freak, I buy the comp pics, I take multitudes of action shots throughout the season, and I buy costume pics.  I love to document these things in their lives, probably because I have decades of my life where there is no photographic evidence of my existence. Everyone is different- for sure!
danceJ15

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #44 
I usually get a few pictures of her individually for DH, me and my parents then get memory mates of all her groups. We put those in an album. It's fun to look at her and the groups over the years.
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #45 
I love love love having photos of my girls.  But I like action shots.  We used to have professional photographers for recital and they would take group shots at dress rehearsal and then individual shots of the kids in their costumes.  I think I bought a couple the very first year and that was it.  

At our recitals now, we have no posed shots but there is a photographer (a dance dad with awesome photography skills) who takes photos of all the dances and then shares the digital images for free.  So we have it good - everyone gets nice shots of their kids onstage and nobody has to pay anything or try to get their own photos at recital (though a few people always do take their own photos and that's fine).

As far as when a studio IS having a picture day, I say go if you want to, opt out if you want to.  Other people may want the class picture to include the whole class, but they'll get over it pretty quickly if someone is missing.
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #46 
As a follow on, this week was picture week at the studio. I just plunked down $80 for 6 groups and a small pkg with one individual pose. Dd13 chose her ballet costume in pointe shoes.

I love pictures and I have purchased studio photos every year for dd. this year, however, she wasn't into it. Not one bit and I really think she would have been fine skipping the whole thing. Seems she wasn't alone because there were several girls missing from the groups. The studio was not the usual flurry of girls, costumes, feathers and sequins either.

I'm not thrilled with the photographer the studio uses. They're ok, but not great. I think I'm going to take dd out with pointe shoes in tow and take our own pictures outside. I think she might be growing out of the posed studio shots.
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #47 
Our picture weekend was last weekend.   We just had to pay a 15.00 sitting fee (for all dances, not each) wich includes the choice of a 5x7.  we will get a link and password in a week or so and beable to choose what we want, if any.
bopmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #48 
I am not buying another photo from our studio unless they changes the style and how they do it.
I always get one in each costume "just to have".  But you now what.....I DON'T like them.  They are boring and basic and expensive for no reason and I have finally had enough.

From here on out, I will hire my own photographer and get photos and poses we actually like and are more creative and more her.
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #49 
I do buy them, though they are not mandatory. The pro photos go into a yearbook type book, though, for the studio, and it's fun to see DD in there. I also stink at taking photos myself and prefer digital, so it's actually more convenient and the same price to do photos at the studio vs Picture People, JC Penney's, etc. Also, now that DD is 7 and doing more tricks, it's also worth it because they get the action shots, like the ones where she's leaping in midair and her extension is so beautiful. I never see shots like that coming out of the non-dance specific portrait studios out here. Also, at our studio, we can pay for booster ads in the recital program for our dancers, and we go in with DD's BFFs families and purchase one ad for the three dancers to share, and the professional photos help when designing these.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.