Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
ExpatDanceMom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
We are Americans living overseas in Singapore, and the dance schools here are all tied to the CSTD (Commonwealth Society Teachers of Dance) and RAD (Royal Academy of Dance) curricula. My son has finished his Intermediate ballet training for the RAD. A few of his Australian dance teachers have advised us that if he is planning on continuing in dance, he should continue with the RAD vocational training, which would mean Advanced 1 and Advanced 2. However, he has also been given an opportunity to study ballet with our national ballet's Scholars program (Singapore Dance Theatre). In the coming months, we will need to decide which road to pursue. Because of time commitments, he can't do both.

We don't know where our son will end up for university. He is just beginning high school and we certainly expect, when the time comes, he will look at programs in the United States. My question is simply: How prominent is the RAD in the U.S.? Is it critical for him to complete the Advanced 1 and Advanced 2 certifications in order to be a competitive applicant for U.S. dance programs?

Thank you in advance for any guidance you could provide.

meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
RAD is mostly used by competition dance schools here in the US (although there are a few ballet schools that use it).  I'd say most ballet schools in the US either use a mixed neo-classical style, ABT or a Russian style.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I am no expert.  My daughter is only in 8th grade.  However, we know people who've gone off to college programs and graduates of college programs.  I am strongly under the impression that US programs are interested in how applicants dance at audition over any other considerations.  Admission to the college is in most cases two separate admissions, an academic admission based on grades and test scores, and a dance admission based on talent and skill.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 

RAD is not prominent in the US and the certifications would not be something that the vast majority of private ballet schools, company affiliated schools and/or university BFA programs would look for at all. 

If you have not already, you may want to check out the message board, Ballet Talk for Dancers. It is a US based board, but there are some with international knowledge too. It is a very moderated board with rules about posting in some of their forums, but it is very informative. The other thing to know is that they do not accept web-based email addresses to register (so no gmail but they will take aol and you can make a free aol account... they do take all apple based emails)

dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
No. My DD is a BFA dance major. No universities ask for something like that.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
You know here in Australia doing dance exams is very common. Almost all studios do ballet exams in either RAD, CSTD, ATOD or Cecchetti. And then do exams in other subjects like Jazz, Tap, Muscial theatre, contemporary, hip hop etc in CSTD, ATOD, Glen wood etc.

Despite it being common and the norm for all studios most tertiary/university dance courses don't require them. Sure they can help on your resume, when being selected, as it shows certain standards are being met. But they are interested in getting the best dancers possible for the program. They don't want to turn a talented dancer away, just because they didn't attend a studio that did RAD.
ExpatDanceMom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #7 

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Many of you have confirmed what I suspected. The RAD curriculum has been wonderful for his development. Since I am not a dancer, it has been a great relief to know that he is making progress against an established, internationally recognized standard. It has helped to reassure us that he is receiving good instruction. However, now that he's been given an opportunity to train with a few teachers where I have no doubt about their credentials and expertise, it may be time to move away from the RAD. He'll continue with the CSTD for tap and jazz, because that's what is available here.

Since I don't have a crystal ball or any other means of seeing into the future, I have no idea exactly where he may end up. I'm just trying to make sure we leave as many doors open for as long as possible. 

Again  - thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and insight. I really appreciate it!

mom2rb

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
My son took his RAD exams every year. It was on his resume for college but I truly don’t think anyone cared. Everything came down to his audition.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
No they don't care.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.