Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
MyGirlsDance

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #26 

Go to about 1:14 and you'll see the turn combination has both regular a la secondes and the ones we see Maddie doing.

(I'm only posting for comparison of what what we see on "Dance Moms.")
floridamom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #27 
I don't think those are the same as Maddie's.  Hers aren't pronounced enough (to me) to be the second type, they look like poorly executed "standard" a la secondes.  Rolling out of a long turn sequence might be okay at 8 or 9, and might be excused as choreography choice once in a while, but when the choreography calls for "rolling" out of the turns in a "new" solo or group dance every week, it becomes obvious that it is camouflage for a technical weakness.
kt923

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Even more than Maddie's constant turning, I'm tired of that sideways leap out of a turn with the leading leg bent, arms forward, that takes her straight down to the floor into a roll. She's been doing those since the show started. I'm not sure if it's a common move in competitions now - it wasn't when I competed - but it looks ridiculous. 
kt923

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Also, does Ava remind anybody else of Chloe? 
Kechara7881

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGirlsDance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaranda
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancemonkaymom
So I went back and watched the episode and yup, the umbrellas were changed! And the umbrella flipping wasnt even that much of a disaster and she did dance right thru it. Why did Abby yell at her? Umbrellas sometimes flip it wasn't the end of the world.

As to the comment about all the turns, we had a dancer at our studio who couldn't turn to save her life but she had beautiful extensions and flexibility and her solos usually placed in overalls with maybe a double and no fouettes.
Just wondering if anyone noticed that Maddie drops her leg in the fouettes. Is that on purpose because my DD was always told to hold leg up perpendicular.
I always got the impression that it was done one purpose to create a different leg line. It just seems deliberate.

It's deliberate.

The first time I saw it done was by the Virginia studio Strictly Rhythm a couple of years ago. They used that move in various routines, including large groups where all the dancers did it.

So I asked DD about the turns (the video you posted is her studio)...she said that the turns are supposed to be a la secondes into pirouette back into secondes into fan?? (Sorry couldnt quite catch it she was already walking away as she answered) turns. She also critiqued and said that in the fan turn the legs are supposed to go higher. [smile] not sure if that's what you guys are talking about Maddie doing but that's what they are supposed to be doing in the video
MyGirlsDance

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #31 
I tried to post the "Kill It" video, too, but it says the user doesn't allow it (which is odd because it's on the Starquest YouTube channel.)

Anyway, I think in this video and in "Kill It" they do a beautiful job. I just remember that the first time I saw Maddie do it (or her version of it) I thought "Hmm, I wonder if they got that move from SRDC!"
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #32 
I dont think it was shown in this episode (it was just the constant turns), but I'm sick of Maddie's switching sisonne leap... It was amazing when she was 8, but the rest of the comp dance world has caught up w/ her and most girls her ago can do it just as well now - she needs to come up w/ a new leap.
kt923

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #33 
This is essentially a compilation of how little progress Maddie has made over the course of the show. 
kt923

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #34 
And here are turns: 
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #35 
All her turns are on the same side too...you'd think Abby would have her turning from both sides if she is so advanced.
kt923

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #36 
This is a good example of why Abby is afraid to compete her girls against real studios. This ten year old could dance circles around Maddie's technique. 
armydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt923
This is essentially a compilation of how little progress Maddie has made over the course of the show. 

Wow,I though that the DM girls haven't improved over the years,but this really proves that they haven't improved and are falling behind.
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #38 
I think Maddie has improved some when it comes to turning, but for everything else, she was just so advanced at 8 that it was really hard for her to get all that much better. Like a lot of those leaps and such that are from those early videos, we're already pretty darn good. Her foot arch and turnout really hasn't improved much (which is the big diffence between her and the Tate girl in the other video), but that honestly may just be a limitation in her genetics and no amount of training is going to fix that. My opinion is that Maddie was about 90% as good as she'll ever be during the first or second season of DM - all the training she does from now on is just getting her that last 10% (if she doesn't regress some too). Many young dancers have only reached 30/40% of their potential at 9, but Maddie just got really good younger.

The 10 year old Tate girl was amazing - of course, my bet is she's always been pretty amazing cause she was born w/ great feet and legs. Not much improvement can happen w/ her either, she's probably 90% as good as she'll ever be too - which is better than what 95%+ of dancers will ever be no matter how much they train, and Maddie is included in that 95%+.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoesx2
All her turns are on the same side too...you'd think Abby would have her turning from both sides if she is so advanced.

That is interesting because Abby was very big about that when she was judging the Abby's ultimate dance competition.  she would jump up and down at people for wearing 1 shoe because it showed they could only turn on one leg.  Get she offered a great deal of praise to any dancer who performer jumps and turns on both legs.
lovetowatch

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #40 
I don't believe that Maddie's lack of turnout and foot arch are genetic as much as a lack of ballet.  I know lots of kids (on of my dds included) that were not blessed with natural turnout or much of a foot arch, but after the amount of ballet she has had, you would never know it.  
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #41 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymmommy71
I think Maddie has improved some when it comes to turning, but for everything else, she was just so advanced at 8 that it was really hard for her to get all that much better. Like a lot of those leaps and such that are from those early videos, we're already pretty darn good. Her foot arch and turnout really hasn't improved much (which is the big diffence between her and the Tate girl in the other video), but that honestly may just be a limitation in her genetics and no amount of training is going to fix that. My opinion is that Maddie was about 90% as good as she'll ever be during the first or second season of DM - all the training she does from now on is just getting her that last 10% (if she doesn't regress some too). Many young dancers have only reached 30/40% of their potential at 9, but Maddie just got really good younger. The 10 year old Tate girl was amazing - of course, my bet is she's always been pretty amazing cause she was born w/ great feet and legs. Not much improvement can happen w/ her either, she's probably 90% as good as she'll ever be too - which is better than what 95%+ of dancers will ever be no matter how much they train, and Maddie is included in that 95%+.

I have to disagree.  As we say so often around here, dancing is more than turns and leaps and tricks and flexibility moves.  In fact it really isn't those things at all, those are the extras.  So while I agree that Maddie didn't have much more to learn in the turn and leap department, her dancing (and her technique) absolutely had a long way to go... and still does.  And Tate?   She has a long way to go too. Yes, that little girl is amazing for 10 but if she were 17 we'd be thinking she was your average "very good" dancer.   If only it were that easy to reach your full potential.  Just think of all the money dancers could save on training if it were [wink]    

Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaranda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoesx2

That is interesting because Abby was very big about that when she was judging the Abby's ultimate dance competition.  she would jump up and down at people for wearing 1 shoe because it showed they could only turn on one leg.  Get she offered a great deal of praise to any dancer who performer jumps and turns on both legs.

I should add in that video of her turns they were the same side. I remember Abby making a big deal over turning from both sides that's why I found it weird. I don't recall if she had other routines where she did turns from both sides.
ballerinamom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #43 
The thing I noticed is that Maddies is using her extended leg to lever herself around when she turns a la seconde.  I think that is why her leg drops then raises she is using that force to execute the turn.  Not to mention she rarely puts her heel down and she falls out of most turns.  I have seen better turners in a ballet class of 11 y/o who are considered merely average.
sansha

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #44 
In any dance that requires it, Maddie's feet, turnout, and her lack of ability to finish a move are frustrating (for me) to watch. Most of all her feet. A lyrical dancer, which she seems to want to be, needs that arch. Her dances look sloppy and rushed without these. Ballet would certainly help.  Plus,  calming/slowing down to finish those moves. She always seems to hurry to the next move before the last is done, as if she's anxious to get off stage. 

Thanks for posting the Tate video. Lovely girl.  I liked the contrast between her exceptional dance,  and her unassuming walk on, concluding head nod and walk off.
iceberg*lover

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #45 
I will sing hallelujah if I ever see Maddie come out of a turn properly, without it ending in a leap or collapsing to the floor. Poor thing has no control and her re
Eve is low.
Poor thing, she really needs some good training.
kr12

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #46 
What was with that singer writing a song for Maddie because she is so inspirational...barf... It seemed super creepy.

Maddie has been doing the same solo for 3 yrs now.
bw182

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #47 
I think Kendall has been improving a lot, she's catching up with Maddie. Nia is improving too, but she's not on the same technical level as the others. I think part of that is something she can't fix, like she doesn't have good feet and she can only change that to an extent.

Quote:
I'm tired of that sideways leap out of a turn with the leading leg bent, arms forward, that takes her straight down to the floor into a roll.

I agree. I think she sort of flies out of control at the end, and doesn't have the control/ability to end her turn cleanly so they use that move to camouflage it. They should probably work on that. 

Quote:
Also, does Ava remind anybody else of Chloe? 

Yeh, I do see a similarity.. I thought Chloe looked so, so much better with the new group. She's got the same build and dances in the same style. She sticks out badly in the old group with the shorter, more compact girls.
bw182

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
This is a good example of why Abby is afraid to compete her girls against real studios

I think that the real studios go to real competitions, which don't allow filming, so that's why they go those dinky, made up comps. However, Abby does pull Maddie when the competition at the DM comps is too tough. For example, Sophia Lucia's old studio competes against them in Nationals and the competition was really strong. Between the new and old team, Chloe got the highest solo score at 5th overall... Maddie was listed to have a solo, but it was pulled before she could compete it. Abby doesn't do Maddie any favours making sure she doesn't lose. Its a good learning experience to lose; to learn how to lose gracefully and give you motivation for  next time.

Quote:
Plus,  calming/slowing down to finish those moves. She always seems to hurry to the next move before the last is done, as if she's anxious to get off stage.  

Yes, exactly. It's so frantic. I wonder if it's choreographed like to hide a lack of control. Her most recent solo, with the weird made-for-her song, was so so rushed.
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #49 
I honestly think Maddie is pushing her natural abilities about as far as they can go when it comes to a lot of things. I think, although blessed w/ a lot of physical talent and coordination (especially at an early age), she just doesn't have the feet, and the natural control, turnout and flexibility of many of the top dancers out there that she has to compete against (I'm not talking just about ballet) if she goes to a top comp.

Abby and all those people telling her that she is the best dancer ever are misleading her. Maddie has to be old enough to realize what they are doing though when they pull her solos cause they don't want her to lose. I know my DD would figure something like that out in a heartbeat.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #50 
This was an old thread [eek]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: