Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
bw182

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 

Abby switches Chloe and Christi with the Select Team's Jade and Loree; Abby announces that Nationals are five weeks away, inspiring both teams to impress her; Jeanette and Ava learn that the odds aren't in their favor in a competition against Maddie.

Kechara7881

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I will be watching, one of DDs friends came in 2nd to Maddie so I want to see if they show it right!
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kechara7881
I will be watching, one of DDs friends came in 2nd to Maddie so I want to see if they show it right!

That's awesome for her!  I can't wait to hear if they showed it right.
sansha

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Question: Given these are staged comps, how do they compete in 'Nationals' ?  Is there a legitimate comp that lets ALDC film and compete for real?
dirtchic

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansha
Question: Given these are staged comps, how do they compete in 'Nationals' ?  Is there a legitimate comp that lets ALDC film and compete for real?

I've been wondering that too. I heard that Abby and Maddie were at The Dance Awards in NYC but I didn't see Maddie anywhere in the winners. Could it be that Maddie was there and didn't win???
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I think that even though they are not open competitions, the competition circuits still consider them legitimate competitions. Molten they are listed on the competitions website. So it makes sense the girls can still qualify.

Apparently at nationals Maddie was done to do a solo, but they were told they had too many and she chose to give up her solo so someone else could have a chance.
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaranda
I think that even though they are not open competitions, the competition circuits still consider them legitimate competitions. Molten they are listed on the competitions website. So it makes sense the girls can still qualify.

Apparently at nationals Maddie was done to do a solo, but they were told they had too many and she chose to give up her solo so someone else could have a chance.

I heard that Abby pulled maddies solo when she saw the competition and realized there was no way Maddie would win. I'm sure they will change it and make it out to be something else, but her name was in the program so it's highly unlikely they did all that inky to say that " you have too many soloists entered". Sophia Lucia's dance studio was there along with many other really good studios and Abby couldn't have Maddie lose, so she scratched it. I believe that. Abby never outs her up against anyone who could beat her, so I'm sure she didn't want to do it at nationals.

I believe the story that Abby just didn't want Maddie to lose over it being anything altruistic on Maddie's part.
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Ugh - I watched it, but I wish I hadn't. Those moms are so pathetic - acting like jealous, middle-age fools, who let an egocentric *dance teacher* have so much power over their lives, thoughts, and self esteem, and their child's self esteem, that you'd think Abby was a cult leader and they were blind followers. What a bunch of idiots they are - I can't believe they could be that hungry for fame that they would allow themselves to be portrayed this way, and harm the reputation of dance moms around the country by making the general public think we are all like that.

Maddie's solo - way too many turns. I'm getting sick of dance being all about turns. Turns are the new tricks of competitive dance.

I wonder if the Ava umbrella thing was scripted - if not, Abby was being a real b$@@h to her - you know she never would have acted that way towards Maddie if something like that had happened to her.

Both group numbers were boring IMO - same old choreography they keep doing. I thought ALDC had some minor timing issues, and Nia and McKensize drug them down. The results made sense to me.
sansha

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymmommy71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani
Quote:
I think that even though they are not open competitions, the competition circuits still consider them legitimate competitions. Molten they are listed on the competitions website. So it makes sense the girls can still qualify. Apparently at nationals Maddie was done to do a solo, but they were told they had too many and she chose to give up her solo so someone else could have a chance.
I heard that Abby pulled maddies solo when she saw the competition and realized there was no way Maddie would win. I'm sure they will change it and make it out to be something else, but her name was in the program so it's highly unlikely they did all that inky to say that " you have too many soloists entered". Sophia Lucia's dance studio was there along with many other really good studios and Abby couldn't have Maddie lose, so she scratched it. I believe that. Abby never outs her up against anyone who could beat her, so I'm sure she didn't want to do it at nationals.
I believe the story that Abby just didn't want Maddie to lose over it being anything altruistic on Maddie's part.

Since when has Abby/Maddie reportedly ever been altruistic about giving other team members equal opportunity for air time, privates, special parts or solos?  Do they think viewers are so dumb they don't remember past behavior? (Setting aside the 'you have too many competing' nonsense)

Interesting how altruism comes out when she's about to get beat. 

I don't think it's possible for anyone to like Maddie as she's been portrayed on the show, but it's past time for her to compete even when she knows she can't win and lose graciously,  without her mother, her dance teacher and the producer sleeping, conniving and bribing their way into skewing the results.

Dancemomjus

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Did anyone else notice Ava had 2 different umbrellas in her solo. She started w/ a sparkly one w/ an edging around it and it was a solid blue one that broke on stage.
Lesley

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancemomjus
Did anyone else notice Ava had 2 different umbrellas in her solo. She started w/ a sparkly one w/ an edging around it and it was a solid blue one that broke on stage.

Pretty sure her mom said she got a new umbrella, though I'm really not sure why.  I'm sure it made Abby even madder about the umbrella going inside-out though.
Dancemomjus

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
No if you watch the solo during the "comp" scene the umbrella changes. DD and I noticed that. 
purplerain

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:

I never heard of this at a competition. Usually if there are too many entries the comp won't allow anyone else to sign up. They don't prevent someone from not performing if they already entered and payed before the deadline.
dncmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancemomjus
No if you watch the solo during the "comp" scene the umbrella changes. DD and I noticed that. 

I hadn't seen that but DD says you're right! I think they film each dance twice so maybe it flipped during the adjudicated dance and she used another umbrella for Lifetime's "lets-film-twice-in-case-a-kid-falls-or-messes-up-which-makes-for-good-tv" one
Momtodancer

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
The same here!
My daughter said "I've lost all faith in this show", they changed the umbrella.
From a nice rhinestoned one with fringes to a plain one that conveniently broke.

Maddie is a turner and it gets really tiring seeing her solos being all about how many turns she can do, also Maddie's faces are really annoying.

gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I hate all the turning too - competition dance is essentially becoming the sport of "competitive turning". Like if you can't turn, don't even enter or bother to dance. It's dumb.

They should just have a contest where all the kids go up and show their best turning sequence and then name the winner.
dancemonkaymom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
So I went back and watched the episode and yup, the umbrellas were changed! And the umbrella flipping wasnt even that much of a disaster and she did dance right thru it. Why did Abby yell at her? Umbrellas sometimes flip it wasn't the end of the world.

As to the comment about all the turns, we had a dancer at our studio who couldn't turn to save her life but she had beautiful extensions and flexibility and her solos usually placed in overalls with maybe a double and no fouettes.
Just wondering if anyone noticed that Maddie drops her leg in the fouettes. Is that on purpose because my DD was always told to hold leg up perpendicular.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Maddie looks like she has totally drunk the kool-aid. Poor kid isn't going to know what hit her when reality hits and she learns she isn't the most amazing dancer/performer ever like Abby tells her.

Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancemonkaymom
So I went back and watched the episode and yup, the umbrellas were changed! And the umbrella flipping wasnt even that much of a disaster and she did dance right thru it. Why did Abby yell at her? Umbrellas sometimes flip it wasn't the end of the world.

As to the comment about all the turns, we had a dancer at our studio who couldn't turn to save her life but she had beautiful extensions and flexibility and her solos usually placed in overalls with maybe a double and no fouettes.
Just wondering if anyone noticed that Maddie drops her leg in the fouettes. Is that on purpose because my DD was always told to hold leg up perpendicular.

I always got the impression that it was done one purpose to create a different leg line. It just seems deliberate.
crazymom4

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Ok I couldn't help myself...While watching the actual show, I never paid any attention to the umbrella until it broke because the whole time I was looking at Ava's rib cage, thinking how thin she was. I always tend to wonder if it's healthy to be able to count every single bone in your whole torso. SO my curiosity was peaked about the umbrella. I went to Youtube and looked for Ava's solo and watched. And right dead in the middle of a turn sequence the umbrella changes. I actually laughed at loud because when I saw her start to turn I thought it would be funny it she turned and the umbrella changed. It did....

Wow...this show is stretching it. SOOOOO far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MyGirlsDance

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancemonkaymom

I always got the impression that it was done one purpose to create a different leg line. It just seems deliberate.

It's deliberate.

The first time I saw it done was by the Virginia studio Strictly Rhythm a couple of years ago. They used that move in various routines, including large groups where all the dancers did it.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
I think it also helps them turn faster. Dd was taught not to drop her leg in second and that that was cheating.
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Chiming in late. I watched like the fool I am -lol! I truly think this show has jumped the shark. The producers are out of material and its contrived and ridiculous now.

Both group dances were nearly identical and boring. I didn't care for either one. Chloe looked better this week and I was glad to see her team win.

As for maddies turns. Absolutely deliberate, but even still I don't care for it. It looks sloppy to me. Funny, my dd13, who is a turner, always remarks that maddie often does unfinished turns. She rolls out of them. Drives my dd crazy to see that even though I'm sure it's choreographed that way.

I can't stand any of the new moms and I see christy and Sarah are back next week. I truly feel bad for maddie. She's what...11...now, been competing since she was 5,6,7 and still hasn't learned how lose graciously. Her incredulous face when she loses could be a good bit of acting, but somehow I think it's partially genuine.
krb

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #24 
I don't necessarily think maddie is a bad loser I think that she's knows that if that team loses that it's an opportunity for drama and being yelled at. Abby said while she was walking out before they danced, may the best team win, I think all of those girls feel like if they lose they will have to endure being yelled at and it's just a huge plot point. I think all of those girls are not disappointed in losing as so much as they know for the next week they will be told that they were not good enough, etc....
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoesx2
I think it also helps them turn faster. Dd was taught not to drop her leg in second and that that was cheating.

Agree, I always thought the leg should be at a 90 degree angle in a la secondes, and that swinging thing Maddie does drives me crazy. Also, the way she comes out of her turns is almost always a leap or a roll to the floor, which dd says makes it so much easier. You don't really have to "land" them then.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: