Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
AAADaNcEmOm

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Do you have any suggestions to give my DD10 after class? On Wednesday's she's in class from 6pm-9:30p.m. (with no breaks) and comes home starving.  For me, it's too late for a big dinner, any ideas? 

She's allegric to peanut butter so that's a no.

Thanks in advance!
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My dd just eat her regular dinner at that time. Other girls in her class just eat dinner at 5 and then just have a snack before bed. There really aren't many other options, IMO. There's no such thing as a full meal that doesn't feel like a full meal.
mic123

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I send my daughter with a regular dinner that she heats up at the studio when I drop her off after school (3:30).  She has an hour before classes begin so she eats her dinner and does homework.
She eats a light snack when she gets home around 9.
We also keep a bag of quick snacks (nuts, protein bars etc) in her dance bag in case she needs something in between.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Eat protein and some carbs before class. On late nights, I often brought DD something she could eat in the car on the way home like a thermos with a warm meal, a wrap, etc.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I send my daughter with Rx Bars on late nights. It's easy for her to munch on it in between classes.
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Just let her eat dinner after class and let go of the idea that it's "too late for a big meal".
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I also pack a meal for my daughter to eat on the way home - it is still late but not as late as it is when she gets home (we're 30 miles or so from the ballet school). One of her favorite late night meals is sashimi. We've also done wraps and soup.
HTownDanceMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I also feed DD and early dinner before her class starts and just pack some quick healthy snacks (fruits, cheese and nuts) in case she still feels hungry.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
If her class is at six she should eat before and after class and after class should be something more snack like because she's going to need to go to bed soon.  I pack a container of fruit, an individually wrapped portion of cheese and whole wheat pretzels with PB/Nuttella or a granola bar.  So some fruit, some protein and a bit of sugar
dmjrm4

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
These issue almost made me cry when we switched studios and my DD started getting out so late and we were so far from home. My solution has been,  I bring a hot dinner in the car, and she eats a full dinner at 9:30 pm driving home from dance!  My DD is too thin to miss even one meal with the number of calories she is burning.  Love competitive dance!
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
6PM is a really late start, whenever I had class start that late O would have a full diner at 5PM. That really helped me focus through a full night of classes. As the blood sugar stayed where it should be, it's very hard to focus when hungry.

If this isn't an option for you, eating late is not an issue at this age. Eating late for kids after several hours of dance does not have the same consequences as eating late for adults. Kids have less issues with indigestion somit has less impact on their sleep. The kids also continue to burn exssess calories when they sleep, especially after exersice.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I try to feed Ash dinner before class as much as possible (class starts between 5 and 5:30 for her most days).  That means she eats around 4:30 at the latest.  Then she gets home between 9:30 and 10 and eats another dinner.  She burns it all off and makes (mostly) healthy choices, so I don't worry about it so much.  Of course, she is 18 and headed to college in a few short months, so now I absolutely have to trust that we have given her the right tools to make smart choices!
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
There have been many times we have just eaten when they got home at 8 or 9.  Its fine if you have to do it.   but a snack before is a must. 
NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Typically after school my kids eat their dinner before going to dance and then depending on what time they are done, etc they have a snack.

We've also done the after dance dinner in the car on the way home but found eating more earlier and a little snack later was better for them.

I always have hard boiled eggs on hand for a quick and easy protein boost... it's really crazy after school/work before dance so a lot of times they are eating leftovers of what was made the day before.
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
All of my kids have activities at "dinner time." They eat before after or during if possible. On our days that they start at 6p, my kids eat dinner at 5p. If they are hungry after they can have a protein granola bar or quick sandwich.
MamaOf2

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #16 
We're in the same boat.  DH works from home, but I'm not working right now.  I have a meal ready for her at 5.  When I was working, it was her responsibility (under DH's supervision) to make herself a sandwich with veggies ready and to be eating when I got home.  She also packed a few snacks in a pack-it like cheese sticks or yogurt.  She would either have it (them) in between classes or in the car on the way home.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: