Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Mamala

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
what do you do about dinner if your dancer is in class through dinner time? My DD will be starting late afternoon and going through dinner time until about 7:30/8:00. She's used to eating around 6:00. She has a good appetite and gets hungry. I think she'll be famished if she has to wait until 8:00 to eat dinner. Plus, she comes home, showers, and goes right to bed after dance. I can pack her a dinner, and she can eat in between classes and on breaks, but the teachers dont recommend having a full stomach for dance class.
momcrew

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I pack healthy snacks and she eats when she gets home. It's not ideal but it worked for us last year when she was at the studio until 8:00-8:30 four nights a week. 
dave9988

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
After school snack, snacks for breaks, then a late dinner.  The teachers are correct, you can't fill up exactly, but you do need some calories.

Some of the items from our rotation include trail mix, Nutella sandwiches, fresh fruit, chicken salad wrap, crackers/cheese packs ...
tinydancers

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
My dd typically eats an applesauce cup and a pack of peanut butter crackers on the way to dance. That fuels her enough until she has a late dinner after class.
mic123

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I pack her a regular dinner (small portion) and then she has a bag of snacks in her dance bag that we refill as needed.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Do whatever works for your family.  My kid eats dinner at 3:30-4:00 and then eats second dinner when she gets home at 9.  She has a pretty high metabolism and 2 dinners often aren't even enough. 
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Broth or soup in a thermos is quick and easy, and will stave off her hunger until she can have a light dinner at home. DD would often eat dinner at 4:30 and then eat a healthy snack when she got home.
mykidsrock

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee
Do whatever works for your family.  My kid eats dinner at 3:30-4:00 and then eats second dinner when she gets home at 9.  She has a pretty high metabolism and 2 dinners often aren't even enough. 

I do the same - make extra dinner on her off days then she has leftovers on dance days at about 3pm - snacks for while she is there - and then something like a bagel and cream cheese after she is done.

jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I usually feed Ash some sort of dinner before she goes to the studio (5:15-5:30), then she will come home between 9and 10 and eat another "dinner."  She also carries snacks to tide her over.
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Drea has a snack between school and dance and then she packs a healthy snack like yogurt or hummus with gluten free crackers. She will then eat a small meal while she does homework.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
We would do a healthy snack before dance and, frankly, I used to bring her a dinner to eat in the car or go to a nearby restaurant. There were some quick-serve type places very close by the studio. She never had breaks between classes to eat, so it was something before and then something more afterwards. 
cram

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I have two DDs and they are opposites in every way, even in eating.
I 'trained' them early on when they danced right after school to eat a light lunch (salad with protein or wrap) so they would be very hungry after school. since then they have eaten dinner immediately after school. Now that they start a little later (5pm) but end at 10pm they eat their dinner in sections. So, one likes to eat the salad and protein and leave the carbs for night when she gets home and the other DD likes to eat the protein and carbs and leave the salad for night time when they get back. They rarely have a break because they also teach and assist.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
It's hard to balance between filling your starving belly and knowing how that might make you feel in class.  I remember one of my favorite stories from last year...we were rushing between a tech rehearsal at school and class at the studio.  She was starving but we had almost no time.  She begged for a bacon cheese burger from Wendy's so that is what we did.  Not healthy, I know...but you do what you have to do. She sat in the parking lot scarfing that thing down and then ran into ballet.  My kid is pretty naturally skinny...like 5'4 and 102 pounds.  The ballet teacher spent the class staring at her and finally blurted out, "Hey, is your butt getting bigger?" Ahaha....gotta love ballet teachers.  Dd asked me when she got out....can a cheese burger make it to your butt in an hour?  I think that was the last time she ate that before ballet.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I use the slow cooker A LOT and prepare casserole type dishes ahead of time that someone can easily pop in the oven.  We usually plan for dinner to be ready around 3:30 so DD can eat even a small portion before dance.  She packs a snack and will usually eat a little more after dance. 
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
During our 4-10pm days, Dd14 had a heavy snack before leaving to go to dance and the 20 minute drive is long enough for digestion. At our old studio, she would go next door to the local deli and have dinner with her friends. there just wasn't a good place in the studio to eat even if we did pack a meal. Fortunately, classes for the older dancers start later so she can enjoy dinner at home.

Heavy snacks were often sandwiches or a roll up of some sort and fruit. Hard boiled eggs were a favorite too. We try to get some good carbs and protein.
kattididd

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
On long nights (4 to 9) with no breaks the parents go together and started providing a group meal for all of the students at the studio. We all pitch in and the girls eat throughout the night. We have had things like walking tacos, pasta, sandwiches, pizza, and there are always fruits and veggies for the girls to snack on. We have a pretty awesome group of parents that look out for all of the girls. When we went the DMA nationals in July the parents organized a meal for the girls (and families) for every day. We made arrangements with several places like Subway and Papa John's in advance. It was so much easier for everyone and we used it as a bonding experience. We had many compliment from other studios that they wish they would do that.

This year most of our days are 5 to 9 so the girls will have a meal before classes start and then snack on fruit and veggies between classes.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
DD eats salad in the car on the way to dance around 430ish. She brings a granola bar on a longer night to have on the car ride home and if it's an earlier night she has a smoothie or fruit at home afterwards.
ChelleB70

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Snacks, snacks, snacks....then a late dinner.  Some moms will drop off dinner for their dancers to scarf down between classes but my dd doesn't like to rush so I only do that if she has an hour in between classes.  Besides, I like to try to keep our family dinners going even if we have to eat at 9:30.  I just pretend we're European! LOL
carriesmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
For the 4-9 dance nights DD usually had a salad with protein in it (grilled chicken, hard boiled egg, chick peas....) as soon as she got off the bus around 3.  She always had a protein bar or some peanut butter & crackers in her bag if she got hungry in between classes or had a break.  When I picked her up at 9 I would usually bring her something else (half a turkey or tuna wrap, pita and hummus....) to eat in the car on the way home, because as soon as she got in she would want to hit the shower and then get busy with homework.
EvryDayShufflin

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #20 
For 4 to 5 pm start times my kids eat an actual dinner at 3:00... Usually slow cooker meals in the winter. In between classes they grab a fruit cup or something else quick that I have packed. Then by the time they get home at 9ish it's snacks again during homework. This process usually tides them over - and doesn't cause stomach discomfort because they've learned how much they need to eat to be satisfied but not too full to dance. It's a process tho!
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Jess eats a protein bar after school because there's no time after getting home, getting dressed and doing her hair to eat anything else. I think Monday will be our only tough night with her getting out at 7:30.  It's just us on Mondays at home until really late so we'll probably just do leftovers that can be zapped quickly.  Wednesdays she's out at 6:30, home by 7 and Fridays 5:30.  There's no food allowed in the studio and there's no time to eat anyway since she doesn't have a break between any classes.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #22 
I was lucky that I had someone at home with DS his entire life.  They made sure that he had dinner ready when he got off the school bus and that homework was finished before class.  After class he would come home and have a small snack.
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
I was lucky that I had someone at home with DS his entire life.  They made sure that he had dinner ready when he got off the school bus and that homework was finished before class.  After class he would come home and have a small snack.

I either beat the bus home or am there within 5 minutes of it coming.  We have about 15 minutes between getting off the bus and leaving for dance dressed and hair ready.  We only have one more year of this schedule.  When she gets to middle school, she'll have about 40 minutes before class.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
We have 2 light dinners per night, actually. DD comes home from school and grabs a sandwich, fruit, power bar, pasta salad, or whatever else she can find. She usually packs something for during breaks, too. Then when dance is over, she eats whatever is for real dinner, which lately has been something from the grill. We're dreading Tuesdays this year. She starts at 315 for solo. Then she has a 1 hour break. Then she dances from 445-945 with a 30 minute break, and has to get up for school at 7am. Fortunately, every other night she is done by 8!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: