Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
parapluie

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi! 

We're new to the north Denver metro area and I am looking for a studio that has an open participant Nutcracker (i.e. not for studio students only).  We are signed up to start classes at a local studio in the fall, but they don't do a Nutcracker and my DD8 just really wants to do the show, since we didn't get to do it last year (we thought we'd be relocating around Nutcracker season so I didn't sign her up, but in the end, it took a little longer for the orders to go through [frown] ).  I know this type of "open" Nutcracker is a little unusual, but it seems like some studios do them, and I'm hoping I can find one.  I would also be willing to do a single ballet class a week at an alternate studio, if taking at least one class at the Nutcracker studio was required. Before I launch into a huge Internet search, I figured I'd ask you all first! [smile]

Thanks!
ggsmith

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Not from your area, but I believe there is at least one open nutcracker in your area, the traveling "Moscow Ballet Great Russian Nutcracker."  This is a professional adult troupe that travels throughout the US staging Nutcracker that invites local children to participate.  It is generally coordinated by a local dance studio.  We haven't done this, but we know people who have and felt it was worthwhile for them, and others who did it and felt it wasn't worth the time and expense.  I'm sure you can find more about it in other threads on this site.  They are selling tickets on their webpage but detailed information for student dancers doesn't seem to be posted yet.  http://www.nutcracker.com   

For what it's worth, an "open" Nutcracker isn't that unusual in our area.  There is a competition studio in our small town that does Nutcracker most years and invites participation by outside dancers, DD's ballet school holds open auditions, and another small ballet school that recently joined forces with a competition studio about 30 miles from us also does open auditions.  It may not be that hard to find a positive experience for your little ballerina.  Good luck!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Was going to make the same exact suggestion! This particular group manages to travel all over the US (I suspect they have more than 1 group on tour at once). Your dancer may be just the right age for that one. We never did it, but I would not recommend it for an older dancer. In my neck of the woods, it is a local not-so-great competition studio that is the host/coordinating studio. 

In my area, the Nuts by the local ballet companies are limited to their own students but there are at least 3 schools that do have open auditions too. We are in an area where you cannot throw a stone and not hit a school doing a Nutcracker. They are everywhere! Good luck with your search!
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
International Ballet does a really nice Nutcracker and auditions kids from other studios to be in it.  A girl from our studio auditioned this year and got a few parts.  She had a great time. 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Ballet-School/182940175083836
Dancemomjus

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
We had a girl from our studio perform in the Lone tree arts center performance of Nutcracker and she loved it. May be something to look into.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DD did Moscow Ballet when she was 6.  She was a baby Snowflake and it was a great experience. I would recommend it if you can't find another local studio. 

Her former ballet studio has "open" auditions for Nut.  They charge a fee to audition and almost no one from the outside gets a part.  I think it's a money maker personally. But that's just my experience.  Their Nutcracker is extremely hard core as far as rehearsals and the amount of time, so maybe part of it is outside people cannot make the commitment.   I hope you find one!
parapluie

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Thank you all for the suggestions! Now I have some direction. [smile]

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: