Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
SlackerMom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My tweenage girl often places or gets a judge's award for her solos, but this year is the first time she has ever outscored the top dancer in her age group at our school. She started dancing and competing a few years after most of the other girls, so this is a hard won victory. She doesn't have a lot of impressive stunts, but she is a beautiful dancer who really has a great ear for music.

I haven't talked to anyone at our school about it, but I am secretly delighted that technique has triumphed over tricks. [smile]
rubydancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Congratulations to your DD. You have every right to be delighted. A note of caution, though - I wouldn't use this as a technique triumphed over tricks moment. There are so many elements that go into scoring that are completely subjective. For example, our junior intermediate team outscored our teens in jazz this year. It doesn't mean their technique triumphed. It means they did a cute, clean routine with great performance quality. If a higher score told girls their technique is better, we would have a bunch of junior girls clamoring to make our teen team, which they clearly are not ready for. The hardest elements in the junior dance were done by girls on the teen team, the others had a leap or two. The teen group all did several, more advanced leaps and turns together. Yes, the junior dance was cleaner, but it was also WAY easier. This is just an example, and may not be what is going on in your case, but I have to caution making a score from one comp a "she beat the top dancer". Celebrate the victory, but don't make it about anyone other than your dancer.
SlackerMom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for your comments, Ruby. Your kind words are appreciated. I do not feel comfortable talking about this with my fellow dance moms at the studio. I know not to put too much stock into this, but it is nice to have a little inner celebration. I have not made a big deal of it with dd at all. I guess I made the technique vs tricks comment because I am aware of the full history with these girls. They are both hard workers and exceptional dancers. But their strengths are different. Does that make sense?
dmjrm4

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Glad to hear about your DDs high score.   Like you, I don't want to boast about my DD at her own studio, it is nice to have another dance community to share our proud moments!
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Brag on!!  Its nice to be able to do it somewhere.  You can dissect it anyway you want but a win is a win.  Especially when they don't come often.  Congrats to your DD!
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Congratulations to your DD!

We had a similar situation at dd's first comp.  She found out the following Monday that she was the highest scoring soloist from her team -- just by a point or two, but still.  And as much as we chant the mantra Three Judges on Any Given Day, it was thrilling for her.  Why?  Because she is competing elite level for the first time, she is in awe of the other dancers at her new studio, and she never believed she was truly good enough to compete elite.  Now she is prouder of herself than before, and she will be more confident the next time she steps out on that stage.

And no, I didn't share that info with anyone else except you all.  But I'm happy for her.
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Similar experience a few weeks ago. Feels great! Yes, like the pp, we repeat the mantra of "Three Judges on Any Given Day," but it still was nice for her to be recognized. Congratulations!
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Congratulations!!! That's awesome!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: