Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I dont usually watch this show but it was on when we turned the TV on and my hubby and I sat and watched a few minutes of it.  I thought it was ballroom dancing but last night I saw contemporary and such?  Is this new or has this show always had it.
MMTwins2002

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
It started with ballroom but they quickly added other types of dance.
kellymom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
They added contemporary and jazz a few seasons ago.  Also, it has turned into quite a production! "Concepts" have gotten more complex over the past few seasons with lots of routines having back-up dancers incorporated and very elaborate sets, lighting, and props.  I watch every week.  I must say I so much appreciate the judges on DWTS--much more than SYTYCD.  They have thoughtful and knowledgeable feedback and I find myself actually listening to the judge's comments vs. fast-forwarding through them like when I would DVR SYTYCD.
EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I have tried watching this show at least once almost every season but for some reason it's just so loud/noisy/everything flashing all the time that I just can't get into it. Maybe I should try again.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I've tried watching in the past but couldn't get into the show either.  But dd got me watching because she's a fan of Hayes Grier (the 15 year old Vine guy).  I personally fell in love with Bindi Irwin and now that Hayes was eliminated watch it for her.  I do find it more interesting now that they have added other types of dance.

If you haven't seen it this season, I highly recommend checking out Bindi.  She's just amazing to watch.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I think I am the only person I know who doesn't watch.   As much as I love all things dance I just can't get in to it.  I have tried a few times and just haven't stuck with it.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I do like the way DWTS tells the back stories and some of the dances are becoming wildly creative (not just a straight forward cha cha, for example).  I also think the remarks from the judges are actually fairly helpful to a non-dance audience.  Yes, they gush and yes they give a lot of perfect scores, but there's also a lot of talk about the emotion and story telling of dance, about eye contact and musicality and all kinds of little tidbits that any dancer who stands before judges could use.  

When they do contemporary or jazz routines what stands out is the complete and utter lack of technique.  You REALLY see it in those dances (although Bindi Irwin was a recent exception to that).  No matter how creative the choreographers make it, there's no mistaking the lack of extension, pointed feet, turnout, etc.  

Because DD is a long time fan of Alexa PenaVega from her Spy Kids days, I taped her performance from this week for her to watch.  She told the story of her bulemia in a contemporary piece, which I thought Mark Ballas did a magnificent job of choreographing.  At the end, instead of gushing or weeping, DD said, "unless I'd heard the backstory, I'd have had no idea what that dance was about."

Got me thinking ... on all these dance shows, isn't that the case?  Without the backstory, how many of us know what we're watching?   Do we care about what the story is?
FantabulouslyCherry

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I don't watch it either. I loved it for the first 5 years, but I got tired of it.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom
I do like the way DWTS tells the back stories and some of the dances are becoming wildly creative (not just a straight forward cha cha, for example).  I also think the remarks from the judges are actually fairly helpful to a non-dance audience.  Yes, they gush and yes they give a lot of perfect scores, but there's also a lot of talk about the emotion and story telling of dance, about eye contact and musicality and all kinds of little tidbits that any dancer who stands before judges could use.  

When they do contemporary or jazz routines what stands out is the complete and utter lack of technique.  You REALLY see it in those dances (although Bindi Irwin was a recent exception to that).  No matter how creative the choreographers make it, there's no mistaking the lack of extension, pointed feet, turnout, etc.  

Because DD is a long time fan of Alexa PenaVega from her Spy Kids days, I taped her performance from this week for her to watch.  She told the story of her bulemia in a contemporary piece, which I thought Mark Ballas did a magnificent job of choreographing.  At the end, instead of gushing or weeping, DD said, "unless I'd heard the backstory, I'd have had no idea what that dance was about."

Got me thinking ... on all these dance shows, isn't that the case?  Without the backstory, how many of us know what we're watching?   Do we care about what the story is?

As far as not know the story without the background, I'd say that's the same with most competition dances that I've seen.  I mean some are obvious by the song lyrics or costumes but most are not.

As far as technique goes, these are trained dancers.  What our kids train for from 3-18 is not something a non-dancer can learn in just a few weeks even if they are training many hours a day.  I really don't expect them to have stellar technique.
3dancinggirls

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
This week Bindi & Derek danced to a song called 'Roses & Violets' (I think). From the snippet I heard, it sounded beautiful. On the show it mentioned the song was written by Mark Ballas' (another pro dancer) friend. Anyone catch the name of the singer/songwriter or heard this song before?

BTW: My DDs & I are huge fans. Started watching a few seasons ago when they started adding jazz, lyrical, contemporary to their ballroom.

Hmmm...maybe I'll start another thread on what shows everyone watches with their kids....
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Sometimes I feel that on these competition shows (not just DWTS but SYTYCD and American Idol and X Factor and the like)...that it's a backstory competition, not a dancing or singing competition. That annoys me.  Can we just dance or sing and not have to hear about how X and X and X happened to you and made your life hard, and therefore, here you are? Just dance! Just sing! Am I the only one? 

That being said, we too really have no time to keep up with those shows.  When we go to conventions and there is this famous teacher and that famous teacher...my dd really has no clue who they are.  She has no time to watch television. 
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Yes. I too am over the back story!
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I like the back story
EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I don't mind hearing the backstory once, but I feel like they keep milking it throughout the season: the montages, the repetitive interviews, the tears in every episode. It starts feeling forced and manipulative. 
purplerain

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Just going to say it. I hate that Derrick won. It was a setup from the beginning.
3dancinggirls

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Really? Why do you say that? I like Derek. I also like Mark & Val & Keo. I really wish Keo gets better partners. He's been the first or second gone since he started mms - I want to see him dance more!
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain
Just going to say it. I hate that Derrick won. It was a setup from the beginning.

I'm interested in what you mean by this?  Was he given the best dance partner or are you saying they didn't deserve to win and it was rigged?  I watched the season and Bindi was by far the best dancer on the show so I'm curious to see what your thinking is.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I kinda get the anti-Derek sentiment in that he's very rarely given a Paula Dean or a Chaka Khan to dance with.  Out of the box he has something he can work with.  Having said that, he's also an extraordinary choreographer and coach who is obviously able to take "good clay" and model it into something amazing.  And that's a true talent that goes beyond being a great dancer himself.  But without that good clay to begin with .....who knows.
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
I love Derek, but I can understand the feeling that it's set up. He does get pretty good, if not above average partners from the get-go. He wins a lot too. However, imo he's a phenomenal choreographer and teacher. I wouldn't say bindi was the best partner I've ever seen with him, but her attitude is infectiously joyful and charming. I'm sure that had a lot to do with their win too.

I'm happy Len's returning next season. I'm not a Julianne fan as a judge. I'd prefer to see her dancing again.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittenmom3
I love Derek, but I can understand the feeling that it's set up. He does get pretty good, if not above average partners from the get-go. He wins a lot too. However, imo he's a phenomenal choreographer and teacher. I wouldn't say bindi was the best partner I've ever seen with him, but her attitude is infectiously joyful and charming. I'm sure that had a lot to do with their win too. I'm happy Len's returning next season. I'm not a Julianne fan as a judge. I'd prefer to see her dancing again.

Yeah this is the 1st season I watched it completely.  I just said she was the best dancer on the show this season.  I can't speak for his other partners.  It's good to have some of the background as I've never been able to sit through more than a few shows in previous seasons.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #21 
I like the pros on the show but I really can't appreciate the "stars." Every now and then they have a star who has a dance background and they're ok but mostly I just don't want to see the show. The lack of technique just can't be overlooked.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmom
I like the pros on the show but I really can't appreciate the "stars." Every now and then they have a star who has a dance background and they're ok but mostly I just don't want to see the show. The lack of technique just can't be overlooked.

Yeah it was quite different to watch the pro-dancers dance with other professionals in the finale.  You could definitely see that they were holding back with their celebrity partners.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
And I see this the total opposite way; I thought the show was supposed to be about taking a "star" that had never danced before and see how they progress from week to week in learning technique.  I hate it when they have a star that obviously has a dance background - sure they're great to watch but I thought the show was about amateurs and it's not fair if the star has dance experience.  
Ellie'sMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #24 
My mother has been watching it since day one. My dd16 and I watch it on and off. I agree that there have definitely been celebrities who have a 'leg up' (no pun intended [rofl])  over others because of their reason for being famous (i.e., any ice skaters, and even Jennifer Grey, albeit her 'training' for DD was 25+ years ago). Any boy band celebs have had some sort of dance training, but I wouldn't say its the same. I'm surprised that the athletes don't do as well, and that people with no (alleged) dance experience (Rumor Willis, Bindi Irwin) manage to prevail over them. Most of the 'older stars' don't even stand a chance (yet again, most of them are just walking around waving their hands, lol).

I feel like I watch it more for the pros, not the stars. I really find it amazing what these dancers can turn some of these celebs into. And my dd is in love with most of the male pros [love][love] 

As for Derek: they will never put him with someone who is hopeless. The reality is, he is good at his job; motivating them and finding choreo that works for his partner. Not saying the rest aren't good, but I think his personality lends itself to teaching movies better.  I feel the worst for Tony; he tends to get the 30-40 something women who most people don't like (with a couple of exceptions).
3dancinggirls

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #25 
I'm always interested/curious in how they match up the pros to the celebrities. Do the the more 'senior' pros get to have a say who they get? Do the celebrities get to choose? Anyone know?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.