Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Have your studios seen instances of dancer's fractures (broken 5th metatarsal, the foot bone attached to the pinky toe)? Given its name it must be fairly common, but we seem to see a case nearly every year. Is it that common?
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
DD's boyfriend had one recently.  He is a soccer player however, not a dancer.

I think at DD's studio there have only been a couple of these over the years and I think they were associated with twisting the ankle/foot.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I have heard it is the most frequently broken bone in the human body.

I don't know of any foot fractures recently. We had a broken foot two years ago, but I don't know the details.

We are a fairly injury free studio. Maybe three or four girls out every year, with almost 300 students at the school. I think that's a pretty good number.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I don't recall anyone at our studio ever having that injury, and didn't know it was referred to as dancer's fracture. My ds actually had that injury a few years ago, but he's not a dancer. He broke it in tae kwon do.
DanceMomLaura

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Yup!  One of our dancers had that happen at the beginning of the season.  She's fine now. 
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
My DD broke it just before last season landing a leap and rolling her ankle.  Took about 8 weeks to heal and is still "tender".  
Klba37

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
we had one of our dancers break her foot/toe in August. She was in a boot and would walk the dances. Now she is out of the boot and doing everything. Kids seem to heal so quick. I had the same break and was in a boot for 12 weeks. Guess that's what I get for being old. lol
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
No, but we have had a couple of overuse injuries of the toe, one sprain, and DD's friend has a broken finger. The 2 overuse injuries are girls who also play tennis, and DD's friend actually broke her finger at school.
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks for all the replies!
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
My son had a hairline fracture on that side of the foot. Fist time when he was 4, jumped down from the monkey bars and landed on it. The second time, same foot showing his sister how to get out of the baby swing and about 7years old.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I haven't seen it at the studio but I broke mine dancing at a wedding a few years ago
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
In the 2.5 years our studio has been open, we've had one that I'm aware of. Didn't realize it was called a "dancer's fracture!" In this one instance, I believe the dancer landed a leap incorrectly. But it's not something we've seen a lot of.
tappingfeet

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I haven't seen it at the studio and I had no idea it was called a dancer's fracture.  I'm no dancer, but I broke this bone last June.  I was stuck in an airboot for 8 week.  The first 6 weeks I wasn't allowed to put any weight on my foot at all.  The last two weeks I was allowed to walk with the boot, but still not allowed to take it off to drive (right foot).  I had 2 months of physiotherapy after removing the boot and my foot is still tender and sensitive when I run, jump, etc.  I have yet to wear heels.  Ugh- it was a much longer recovery than I anticipated.  I'm sure kids/teens with this injury would heal faster than a woman in her mid-40s!  
lauraberney

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #14 

Nope, I haven’t seen these injuries, and they are not common. I know they occur sometimes, but studios need to take care of their dancers and provide quick help and follow the standard process for faster recovery of injured dancers. If a dancer takes care of him or herself and follows proper routine, such injuries can be avoided. If any discomfort is experienced while dancing, dancers should stop dancing and work towards getting better. 

prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Seems like they have happened when landing leaps badly in every case (I've seen 3 in 3 years). Does make me wonder if better landing form should be taught.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimaMomma
This is a little of the topic, but I just want to add that my husband broke that bone a few years ago and the doctor said that bone is one of the slowest healing bones in the body due to it's low blood flow since it is so far from the heart.  I took him quite some time to heal.

We were told the same exact thing when my ds broke that bone in tae kwon do, and it was slow to heal. He was in a boot for 8 weeks, and then it was probably 3 more months before he was pain free.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.