Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
musicboxdancer

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Our child's dance classes have gone up to $100 a month (for one class per week). We cannot afford this anymore.

She is interested in jazz and various other types of dance, but not ballet.

So I'm looking for a dance studio that charges less, in Plano. Would consider Frisco or Allen if I can't find what I need in Plano.
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I'm not familiar with Plano but our local parks and recreation department offers low-cost dance classes, that may be something you can look into.
musicboxdancer

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm hoping to get her into another dance studio where she could do recitals since she enjoys doing those. Our budget for one class would be $75 a month or lower. If I can't find that, I'll consider the recreational facilities you mentioned.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
That is insane.  DS was at unlimited and I only paid $250/month.
musicboxdancer

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Yes, she was in a karate class for a while, it was unlimited classes per month for $140.

So the $100 a month class is pretty insane.  It's also a Monday class. Many holidays happen to fall on a Monday, so there is no class on those days. So we're paying $100 a month, even with those missed days. 

It's not even a one-hour class even though it is supposed to be. I would like to talk to the studio about why it costs so much (I'm just curious) but I don't think they would take that very well.

I had previously asked about the chance for some kind of scholarship for a reduced fee, but they never got back to me about that. I think most of their scholarships go to older dancers, anyway. I decided just to enroll my child somewhere else in the fall. She will be sad to leave but if I can find her a place she loves, she may not care anymore.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
For what its worth, I would share your thoughts. Even as simple as "we need to look for a more affordable option." Many times the more hours you take the less you pay hourly. But at our studio at $100 you are getting 2 full hour classes if I recall correctly. Studios know that (particularly with younger dancers) there will be some annual turn over, but they do like to know why people move on... especially if they move on to dance elsewhere vs. not dancing. Just a thought. Our studio does a price analysis with competitors every year so hopefully they are doing their groundwork to know what the going rate is and haven't priced themselves too far above!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
$100 for a once a week class means $25 for a class, so $25 for less than an hour. You can take a class in NYC for less than that and it will last anywhere from 60-90 minutes!  Are they including costumes or other things in that fee? 

I took a look at a school in a pricey neighborhood. A once a week one hour class runs about $80 a month. I looked at 2 other schools just outside of that town. Both charge $72 a month for a weekly one hour class. I bet you will be able to find something more in your price range if you shop around. 

Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Ours is over $100/mo for 1.5hrs a week. It is a competitive team. The price has gone up every year we're here. (probably something to do with their retention rate is so low they need more to cover what the number of students who have quit would have brought in)
txmomx3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Look into Prodigy Dance & PAC in Frisco. My DD was a co. Member for 9 yrs., she's now in college. They've always had great instruction, the owner/director is very nice. They moved into their new location a couple yrs ago, beautiful facility and they have reasonable tuition rates.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: