Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Lampens777

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I'm fairly new to this. Do kids wear jazz shoes for dance with acro tricks like back tucks or are they too slippery?
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Depends on the kid, depends on the dance. Ours regularly do side and front aerials in jazz shoes, tennis shoes, and turners because that's the costuming. I don't see our studio ever implementing back tucks. You could always add a stickiness factor to the shoes with rosin or coke before going on stage if they need to have more grip.
MNDanceDad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My son does a lot of acro and he wears jazz shoes for it.  They need to be pretty fresh and new though.  We go through them quickly.
Lampens777

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Wow...I didn't think I would get such a quick response.  Thank you both...your awesome!  Very helpful! 
Lampens777

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Does your son use anything for stickiness?  If so...what does he use? 
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Our girls use Jazz or Half soles (lyrical shoes) when doing acro.  If it's an acro only routine, they will have bare feet, however we do a lot of "open" so there are turns as well.
Lampens777

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #7 
How do they keep from slipping with jazz shoes?
lovemykids

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
My daughter would either go barefoot, with foot paws or with half soles when there's a lot of tricks. Maybe a single aerial or a back handspring has been done in dances were the costume called for jazz shoes, but the ones that have had more tricks they haven't used them. I feel like the jazz shoes are definitely more slippery. The best grip for the tricks comes either form sneakers or the foot, that's why footwear that leaves part of the foot exposed is preferred if wearing any at all
MimisMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
If it’s a jazz or hip hop dance, then yes they do aerials in jazz or running shoes. I’ve even seen some of our kids do a back handspring in tap shoes. But most of the time they are barefooted for acro routines.
MNDanceDad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampens777
Does your son use anything for stickiness?  If so...what does he use? 

He relies on the "tackiness" of a newer shoe.  Once the soles get worn down and smooth, we get a new pair.  He goes through a pair every 6-8 weeks maybe??

I'm sure there's a better solution, but we haven't really explored it.  I guess I'll take notes from the replies you get!  [smile]
Lampens777

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Thank you!!
3mama5678

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Any acro tricks = bare feet.
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
My dd will use rosin if its available or wash (dampen) the bottom of her shoes just before going on stage to give her some tack and remove the dust/dirt if she has a lot of acro and the costume requires shoes.  

ETA - yes she does back tucks in jazz shoes. 
Lampens777

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I would so prefer bare feet but her teacher wants her in jazz shoes. She is fine on a mat...but the dance floor scares me for back tucks. Thank you all for your advice!! If there are parents with kids that have done tumble sequences with back tucks in jazz shoes...please weigh in on the experience to either build my confidence or allow me to share with her teacher for safety measures
MNDanceDad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
I would so prefer bare feet but her teacher wants her in jazz shoes. She is fine on a mat...but the dance floor scares me for back tucks. Thank you all for your advice!! If there are parents with kids that have done tumble sequences with back tucks in jazz shoes...please weigh in on the experience to either build my confidence or allow me to share with her teacher for safety measures

My son does back tucks in jazz shoes.  The past 2 years, he's done 2 pure acro routines and wears his shoes.  That's about all I can say.  The funny part is he practices in bare feet, but then does the routine in jazz shoes.
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:

I have answered your question about shoes above, but I understand you are worried about safety.  My other concerns are how high is the back tuck? and how solid is the landing?  If she is ever off in her take off, low during flight, or landing short/badly on the mat, I wouldn't send her to the floor.
Lampens777

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #17 
MNDancedad: I am in awwww....he must be very good!!

Pranced: I agree with you....I may ask her teacher to take out the back tuck if they don't get more consistently stronger. She has her days where she gets tremendous height and lands them flawlessly...but she also has days that scare me to death because she almost looks like she's in slow motion.

Thank you all so so much for the feedback!!😀
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.