Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
llisam

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello, my family is thinking of moving to Phoenix. We're looking for a good studio offering strong ballet training in the Phoenix or Scottsdale area. DD (13) has been to SIs at SAB and PNB - her training has been Balanchine focused to date. Has not done any competitive dance. We've looked at Master Ballet Academy, Ballet Arizona and Ballet Etudes. Want somewhere where she can continue to have strong performance opportunities, as well as continue pre-professional training to the level of the top SIs. Wouldn't mind switching to Russian training for the right studio. 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
PasDeChatMom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My daughter has danced at all 3 ballet schools over her many years in ballet - of those I would recommend MBA for training hours and quality of training. It is Russian influenced but not strictly Russian - definitely not Balanchine, though. Ballet Etudes is more classical and they've got a strong record of students going on to attend SAB year-round - Gabriella Domini just 'graduated' from SAB and is now an apprentice with NYCB. Her younger sister as well as a couple of other former BE dancers are at SAB and a former BE dancer is now at PNB's PD. There's another BE girl who will very likely receive an invitation to attend SAB year-round after summer 2018. That being said, I'm pretty sure if some of MBA's dancers attended SAB's SI they'd also get year-round invitations. A former BE dancer is also a member of Houston Ballet II at 17.

MBA also has more diversity in their class offerings and the biggest draw, IMO, is that they offer a partnering class for girls soon after they go on pointe. Does your daughter want to compete in YAGP or join a contemporary-type competition team? Does she want to join a pre-pro program that has afternoon classes 3 days a week? 

llisam

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks, so helpful! Do you have any opinion on Ballet Arizona? I'm asking because their curriculum tracks closely with my daughter's current program and they seem to have some teachers with NYCB credentials and training. 

My daughter has met many competition dancers through her SIs. Majority of girls her age there did compete. She'd be interested in competing, not a must, but likely through YAGP rather than contemporary. 

The only drawback I saw with MBA is that she'd be at Int or Adv PrePro level and not sure how that schedule works with school - at least three days a week leaving school in early afternoon. We're trying to balance finding a place which would allow her to attend a very good high school, heard good things about Scottsdale charter schools. Not sure if they'd be up for that flexible a schedule though.

PasDeChatMom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I'm going to PM you. [thumb]
Eliwel

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
If you are going a bit farther north valley you should look at AZ School of Classical Ballet https://www.azballet.com/ The staff there are absolutely wonderful
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.