Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Mama2aHappyDancer

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
If you were going to give your child a dance "experience" gift for Christmas, what would you do? I am thinking a convention, some privates, or an intensive. 

She's 8. Competes. Takes classes in jazz, ballet, lyrical, musical theater, hip hop, and  tap (as well as technique classes.) 

What would you do? Or do you have a different idea? Dance is everything to her and we're hoping to give each of our kids experiences this year. 
performancemom2003

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Privates are a nice idea (what I'm giving my DD this year), maybe in her favorite style? As far as experiences go, a convention that she hasn't been to yet could be a very memorable one for her. Good luck!
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Travel to major city, find a show and a drop in class. NYC ?
hopefuldancer17

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Something memorable! I wouldn't give privates, but I could see buying tickets to a show. We've done that a few times over the years, and it's nice to have those memories.

Edited to add that I think it's nice to expose kids to professional dance and support those performances, too.
Mama2aHappyDancer

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 

We go to a professional performance of the Nutcracker every year so I think we've got that covered. 

I wish that I could afford to take her to NYC, but that's probably out of the budget for us. That would be amazing, though! 

cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
How about an overnight trip to Charleston in February to see Shaping Sound?
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I love Shaping Sound, but probably not for an 8 year old. It’s pretty sexy. A convention or winter intensive might be a fun experience gift though!
Mama2aHappyDancer

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks everyone. I am leaning towards a convention or intensive, but she asked today for some privates so I may end up doing that. 
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I would do the convention or workshop hands down over privates. 

There is so much to be learned at conventions and artistic inspiration will surround her.  Your DD will not only learn and be inspired by the faculty, but also by the dancers along side of her.  

Such a better use of funds than privates!  
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I’m going to play the other card and say the privates with a favorite teacher may be more meaningful for an 8 year old. While the entire convention experience is exciting, my older daughter wasn’t fully ready at 8 to truly capitalize on the entire experience... and my current 8 year old certainly isn’t. But everyone has what’s right for them.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCKDAD
I’m going to play the other card and say the privates with a favorite teacher may be more meaningful for an 8 year old. While the entire convention experience is exciting, my older daughter wasn’t fully ready at 8 to truly capitalize on the entire experience... and my current 8 year old certainly isn’t. But everyone has what’s right for them.

I would agree with this.  Plus and maybe it's just my jaded experience because DD only went to 1 convention when she was 11 and it was a miserable experience.  Thankfully it was a no charge to us one.  I feel like privates would be a much better investment with you money.  Your DD can work on things that she needs to work on.
Mama2aHappyDancer

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Another thought is that a ballet company near by offers a summer intensive. But - it is months away AND it's an audition only intensive. I am not sure how great a gift it would be to say "You can audition for this thing. In a few months. And you wouldn't actually go until July. And there is a chance you wouldn't make it." I think that intensive could be a great experience, but getting a "maybe" as a Christmas gift might not be as great. 

rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
When DD was younger, we gifted privates during Christmas break with a favorite teacher. Now, she's older and we gift conventions or intensives.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
My daughter has never done a mainstream convention, but there are some very cool masterclasses and workshops within driving distance for us.

Different schools in the area bring in hiphop names, SYTYCD alumni, Modas teachers, or dancers from the area who are now working in the business.  There is a circus arts studio within driving distance that offers clowning classes and introduction to circus skills workshops a couple times a year. 

A local competition school brings in a dancer from a traveling broadway show a couple times a year for a class where they teach some of the choreo from the show.  It is very cool to take class with one of the dancers and then go to the performance in the evening.  

Often a master class or workshop is cheaper than the cost of a private lesson and can be a chance to try something new or get another perspective on a favorite style.  Maybe a workshop or two and a few privates as well?

I was really quite surprised when I started searching and looking at websites of local studios how much is out there in our area, which is not a big cultural center.  I also found some facebook groups from nearby areas that list workshops and masterclasses.  

2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
For an 8 year old, I would gift a private... Not just a technique private, but I would ask her favorite teacher to choreograph a short combo to a fun song that incorporates challenging moves she can work on. The "mini-solo" private would be memorable and your DD can benefit long term?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.