Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dancingymnast

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I'm surprised no one is discussing the new season.
So, last night's episode. I'm new to dance, but wondering what more experienced parents think. Is it really possible to throw together a dance the night before the competition, and still win? Are they really that good, or is there more to the story than what they show us?
dave9988

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingymnast
I'm surprised no one is discussing the new season.
So, last night's episode. I'm new to dance, but wondering what more experienced parents think. Is it really possible to throw together a dance the night before the competition, and still win? Are they really that good, or is there more to the story than what they show us?

It's possible to teach the choreo 15 minutes before, and still win ... if you are only competing against yourself.
grandaughter

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I have been in competitive dance 13 years now and totally enjoy it....I don't believe this is realistic...I think this show is a insult to dance.  She treats her dancers and the moms are no better.  Please do not let this make you believe dance is like this.  Have fun
dancingymnast

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988

It's possible to teach the choreo 15 minutes before, and still win ... if you are only competing against yourself.

That was my guess too, that competition just wasn't that strong. But they kept talking all episode how the competition is so tough in Arizona. Is it not true? Just curious. I know it's just a show, and they are trying to add to the drama as much as they can. [smile]
Kfish1987

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
These are not regular competitions. Studios get a call and they say in 2 weeks Abby Lee is going to have a competition at so-n-so theater. Can you provide this many solos and groups. At the day of the competition, all the Abby lee girls dance their solos in the beginning of the competition and then Abby lee and the dance moms leave. Rest of the studios dance. Abby Lee's group dance the last dance and then they do Awards. I am sure that they did that 15 minute routine before.
dave9988

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfish1987
These are not regular competitions. Studios get a call and they say in 2 weeks Abby Lee is going to have a competition at so-n-so theater. Can you provide this many solos and groups. At the day of the competition, all the Abby lee girls dance their solos in the beginning of the competition and then Abby lee and the dance moms leave. Rest of the studios dance. Abby Lee's group dance the last dance and then they do Awards. I am sure that they did that 15 minute routine before.

And while Abby & the moms wait for the group dances, they probably plot out who will fight with whom and when, to create drama for the next show.  Then they do a fist bump and head off to the auditorium.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingymnast

That was my guess too, that competition just wasn't that strong. But they kept talking all episode how the competition is so tough in Arizona. Is it not true? Just curious. I know it's just a show, and they are trying to add to the drama as much as they can. [smile]

The competition is extremely tough in AZ. I don't watch the show and will never watch the show, but I do know the granddaughter of one of my dd's former teachers was supposedly on. She is 8. Grandma is the owner of Second Skin Costumes.

My personal opinion is, and always has been, the show is a joke.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
So, last night's episode. I'm new to dance, but wondering what more experienced parents think. Is it really possible to throw together a dance the night before the competition, and still win?

The way the show does the dances, yes. This may be reality TV but it does not mean what you are seeing is real. They have always presented that they learn a new dance and compete it that week. The truth is that they learn these dance far in advance. For example, they may learn the dances for the fall in the summer. If you watch, you'll also see a lot of repetition in phrases of the dances. There are a few youtube videos out there that show how alike many of their dances are. 

So, no, I don't think they really learned the dance the night before the competition. They just pulled it out of their "playbook" of dances for the show.
SSminimom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Although for the typical NYCDA or Break the Floor comp in AZ the competition is brutal, this one was off the radar and would be unlikely to attract serious studios.. I received a call from someone 3-4 days before this competition asking if my daughter or her friends would be interested in going to compete against the Dance Moms girls. We had no interest whatsoever. There was probably no one there. I have never even attended a comp held in a high school in AZ. There are too many good ones held in better venues to choose from.
dancingymnast

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks everyone! This makes much more sense now. [smile]
mic123

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Also adding that they do not film at their real competitions (if they even do them anymore).  We were at Jump (Orlando) three or four years ago and several of the girls were there (with one or two moms and ALM) and there was absolutely no filming and interestingly enough, no drama [smile].
It was a normal convention/competition and they were no different from everyone else there.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
If you are curious, this is kind of a fun link showing some moves from the Dance Moms playbook.  

Yes, sections of dance are definitely repeated for this TV show.  

LittleDancersmom06

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
One of our teachers actually was a guest master teacher for Abby Lee in Pittsburgh. I was told they learn the dances over their summer intensives and then clean the week before. Also, they shoot all the time here (Las Vegas) and several of our teachers are guest judges. These are not real competitions. Those you see as competitors have signed waivers to not only be filmed but also to keep silent. It's entertainment only.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I have watched a little this season. All of these kids could have been so much better with proper training.  
DanceForFun

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I found myself feeling skeptical as well. WHat are the chances of the kids (and ok Gianna) throwing together something that good that late in the game? And what about the gorgeous costumes that went so perfectly with it?  Somehow I don't think so.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
And what happened to the swimming themed routine that Abby was talking about
Kitsune

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Hi all - I really don't post much as I usually don't have much to add. My kids are pretty young still. But--

We did see ALDC at a real competition this spring in Pittsburgh. There was no filming going on, and no yelling/drama in the dressing room or the audience. Everyone seemed pretty normal.  I don't remember seeing Abby Lee at all, I'm not sure if she was even there.  I think most of the craziness of the "Moms" is scripted just like any other TV show. (But I have heard that Abby Lee in real life is pretty similar to what you see on the show.) I was kind of wondering why they would even bother to do a "real" competition at this point. Maybe they still need to prove that they can win at a real "non-staged" venue??  I have to admit, their dances were very good.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: