Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 11      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
I think they are going for the "Aw, isn't she adorable" factor with the high ponies and she does look super cute. My 10 year old had a dance last year where they all wore 2 high ponies. It worked with the costume/theme.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #27 
I wish more 11 year girls would feel comfortable wearing their hair like that.  Seems to me we should be encouraging 11 year olds to be the little girls that they are, not criticizing them for it.

Of course, I know people who go bananas over any women over 50 with long hair.  Everyone has an opinion.
FantabulouslyCherry

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #28 
The #FreeAbby t-shirts? [rolleyes] This does not convey how hard my eyes rolled!
dancypants

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
This season, like every season after the first 2, sucks. Yet, we still watch, mostly because we started watching from here (and no one in my house danced) and we are back here. I was surprised they brought up Abby's legal woes, I did t think they would on the show. It's weird, but I actually feel almost as sorry for her as the girls now- it seems like she is as much a victim to the show (not her legal stuff, her portrayal on the show doing weird things and looking awful) as the girls. The monster she created is eating her! It's clear she doesn't want to do the show, and that the show is showing her in hot rollers, acting crazy, etc...can she really not quit? Can they all really not stop this? It's made her and the moms a lot of money and is a huge stone around their neck at the same time. It's sad, be careful what you wish for I guess.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancypants
This season, like every season after the first 2, sucks. Yet, we still watch, mostly because we started watching from here (and no one in my house danced) and we are back here. I was surprised they brought up Abby's legal woes, I did t think they would on the show. It's weird, but I actually feel almost as sorry for her as the girls now- it seems like she is as much a victim to the show (not her legal stuff, her portrayal on the show doing weird things and looking awful) as the girls. The monster she created is eating her! It's clear she doesn't want to do the show, and that the show is showing her in hot rollers, acting crazy, etc...can she really not quit? Can they all really not stop this? It's made her and the moms a lot of money and is a huge stone around their neck at the same time. It's sad, be careful what you wish for I guess.

IDK if I believe that she, or any of them for that matter, are victims.  Or that she doesn't know exactly what is going on and is a party to it. She knows when she's being filmed.  She's been doing this for how many seasons now?  Renewed her contract how many times?  Agreed to do how many spin-offs?  If she doesn't want her legal woes brought into the show she doesn't have to talk about it on camera.  If she doesn't want to be seen with curlers her hair, she doesn't have to go out with curlers in her hair.  Imo she's the equivalent of a character and is playing it to the hilt.  As are the rest of them.

Of course, I do realize I could be wrong.... but if I was a betting woman, I would put some serious money down on the chance that I'm right.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Does it not bother anyone else the unsafe nature of the tumble track in the studio! The track is right next to an unpadded wall, there is no way that kids will always go straight and no one will crash into a wall. And there are no mats on the floor at the sides or the ends of the track!

A few years back this caused a death in my State. This was at a gymnastics club and the coach had removed a mat from the end of the track to use it elsewhere and did not put it back. A girl crash off the end and her head hit the floor and she died.
lotsofdancers

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Its hard to take this show seriously with all the hair extensions the moms have gotten.  [biggrin]

Also, I can't believe there are still mothers that will sign their kids up for this crazy show and subject their daughters to Abby.   Are people that desperate for fame? I mean looking at most of the girls, its not like their technique is out of this world good, so I guess they are just going for the exposure?
Midge

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #33 
I wear pigtails and I'm in my 30s.  Sheesh.
FantabulouslyCherry

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #34 
I don't know if anyone saw this past week's episode, but Jill has lost her mind right along with Abby! Screaming at Brynn and telling her to have a brain? I know this crap is fake and everything, but who would subject their child to that? Oh that's right, money and fame, got it! And is it driving anyone else crazy that Kendall has been told for the past 5 years to work on her facial expressions and she still hasn't?
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #35 
I was gobsmacked watching Jill chastise Brynn like that.  And what is the matter with that woman?  That's a big studio with 3 people in it.  If Kendall thinks Brynn is dancing in front of her, then MOVE.  And you're right about the facials.  It's almost as if she's got LESS face as the years go on instead of more. And how about the new minis.  Wow.  Could any of your kids dance like that at age 6 or 7?  But finally a tiny beam of hope in that mom whose daughter was crying and she simply asked her, "do you want to go home?" The child nodded and the mom didn't hesitate ..."okay, let's go".  Unfortunately, the producers grabbed her in the parking lot and it looks like she comes back in but at least that mom has an iota of common sense.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantabulouslyCherry
I don't know if anyone saw this past week's episode, but Jill has lost her mind right along with Abby! Screaming at Brynn and telling her to have a brain? I know this crap is fake and everything, but who would subject their child to that? Oh that's right, money and fame, got it! And is it driving anyone else crazy that Kendall has been told for the past 5 years to work on her facial expressions and she still hasn't?

That's because Jill was stupid enough to believe that Kendal was Abby's #2 girl. She figured now that Maddie is out there working most of the time she'd focus more on her kid only that isn't happening. In swoops Brynn who is a much stronger dancer/performer and steals away her spotlight...or the spotlight Jill thinks she should have.
dancypants

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #37 
Dance Moms, I wish I could quit you, because you are really, really lame. But I suppose we will watch to the bitter end- and I'm sure it will be bitter.

Kendall drives me nuts because she so clearly does not love to dance. She likes making her mom happy, and Abby, but she doesn't like to dance and it is so painful to watch her.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancypants
Dance Moms, I wish I could quit you, because you are really, really lame. But I suppose we will watch to the bitter end- and I'm sure it will be bitter. Kendall drives me nuts because she so clearly does not love to dance. She likes making her mom happy, and Abby, but she doesn't like to dance and it is so painful to watch her.

Amen! I would rather see less technique and more joy onstage.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #39 
Watching now on demand (don't tell my husband who thinks I could give it up, lol!) My thoughts so far:

Jill has lost her ever loving mind. That was way over the line when she was yelling at Brynn.

Those minis are good...but that's kind of ridiculous that Abby is making it look normal to beauditioning minis who have clearly already invested many hours into learning to dance. That's not the way you grow a studio or start a team (unless you are on TV!)...you have toddler classes and pick from there! It's not like she auditioned her original team! Also...why?? Why are these 6-10 year olds made up like that and doing those skills. I don't want people who aren't in real studios to think that is normal! Our mini team taps, and takes maybe 2-3 hours a week of a creative movement (ballet terms taught), tap, tumble class!

Abby telling the mom her mini dancer needs more ballet. OMG, most reputable ballet teachers/schools won't even consider teaching a kid who is under the age of 7-8 real ballet lessons! Creative movement only.

Those little kids are being set up for overuse injuries training that much, unless maybe they are just all prodigies (which I guess is possible since this is TV!)

Kendall has no passion or technique. It's such a hard age to be living out on TV. These kids are really not keeping up with real life dance comp kids, IMO. They really do need more class like the moms have been yelling about.

And I still have 30 minutes left to watch! Wow!
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #40 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoesx2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantabulouslyCherry
That's because Jill was stupid enough to believe that Kendal was Abby's #2 girl. She figured now that Maddie is out there working most of the time she'd focus more on her kid only that isn't happening. In swoops Brynn who is a much stronger dancer/performer and steals away her spotlight...or the spotlight Jill thinks she should have.

That's the other thing.  She kept saying that Kendall was one of the "original" girls.  No she wasn't.  She came along in year 2 or 3 I think; left to go to Candy Apples for while, and then came back.  Brooke, Paige, Chloe, Maddie, MacKenzie, and Nia were the originals. Even Vivi was there before Kendall was.  (Vivi still owns the the classic line from the show "I hurt my finger.  I don't know if I can dance."  
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #41 
The minis are there to experience a "real" competition??? Lol! 2 things are lies about that...these little girls all are comp dancers already, no doubt! And this is not a real competition! There is no one in the audience!

I think Abby is upset because her studio in Pittsburgh lost all of their dancers and teachers. And I'm sure the legal stuff too.

Kendall's solo was distasteful IMO. I loved Jojos!

Good for them for doing hip hop! If they are trying to be commercial dancers, they need to be doing lots of it. I liked the dance. I know nothing about hip hop, but it was entertaining.

Enough with the Maddie FaceTime. She's not there, it's ok. The other cast members all but dropped off the face of the earth when they left.

Can't wait to watch this train wreck. I hope this is the last season for real this time. The smartest people involved are the Hylands and Luckasiacs (idk how to spell that!) because they got the heck out.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #42 
Ok, so I haven't watched this show in a long time, but this thread made me watch OnDemand (Mainly when I heard Brynn joined the team and Debbie Allen made an appearance).  I only watched a couple of episodes (no Debbie yet. [frown] ), and I remembered why I stopped watching!  LOL  It's so funny how, in the early years of the show, Abby used to say Kathy couldn't take credit for any success of her team because they weren't kids she'd trained.  She put her down for auditioning and bringing in kids for the express purpose of beating Abby's team.

Now, aside from the original team, the only other dancers we've seen that are actually from her studio are Sarah and Payton I don't think there's been one other dancer from her studio on the show.  And when I watch the show now I feel like the girls are only alright dancers.  The actual competition dancers out there now (from what I see) are far better than the girls who grew up in ALDC.  Even Kalani seems to have gone backwards since she joined the cast... and she's still the strongest dancer who is a regular member of the team.

I hate that Brynn and Gavin joined the cast.  I don't know why any of these talented young dancers would want to be on that show.  I mean, not if dance is what they want to do.  Maybe if they just want to be famous... but it does nothing to grow them as dancers.  And it seems like winning The Dance Awards guarantees you a place on the show... at least as a mini or junior.  That makes me sad.  The amazing young dancers could do so many other things, but they decide to go on Dance Moms instead.  It just makes my heart brake for them.

And if I hear Jill say these girls have become "America's sweethearts" one more time.... LOL  What???  No they haven't!  Who lied to you Jill?  LOL
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #43 
My guess is it is a fame thing. Like it or not, this show can be a springboard for other opportunities(as in Maddie's) case so those dance moms seeking that kind of fame for their kids will do the show.

Brynn is a beautiful little dancer and I kind of like how her mom pushes Melissa's and Jill'sbuttons lol.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom
Ok, so I haven't watched this show in a long time, but this thread made me watch OnDemand (Mainly when I heard Brynn joined the team and Debbie Allen made an appearance).  I only watched a couple of episodes (no Debbie yet. [frown] ), and I remembered why I stopped watching!  LOL  It's so funny how, in the early years of the show, Abby used to say Kathy couldn't take credit for any success of her team because they weren't kids she'd trained.  She put her down for auditioning and bringing in kids for the express purpose of beating Abby's team.

Now, aside from the original team, the only other dancers we've seen that are actually from her studio are Sarah and Payton I don't think there's been one other dancer from her studio on the show.  And when I watch the show now I feel like the girls are only alright dancers.  The actual competition dancers out there now (from what I see) are far better than the girls who grew up in ALDC.  Even Kalani seems to have gone backwards since she joined the cast... and she's still the strongest dancer who is a regular member of the team.

I hate that Brynn and Gavin joined the cast.  I don't know why any of these talented young dancers would want to be on that show.  I mean, not if dance is what they want to do.  Maybe if they just want to be famous... but it does nothing to grow them as dancers.  And it seems like winning The Dance Awards guarantees you a place on the show... at least as a mini or junior.  That makes me sad.  The amazing young dancers could do so many other things, but they decide to go on Dance Moms instead.  It just makes my heart brake for them.

And if I hear Jill say these girls have become "America's sweethearts" one more time.... LOL  What???  No they haven't!  Who lied to you Jill?  LOL

OMG I forgot Jill said that.  It totally annoyed me when I was watching it.  Most of America doesn't even know who they are.  Seriously!
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #45 
Great point way up the thread about giving legal custody of your child to Melissa! WHAT!!! Holly would be the only choice for me.

And for Kendall - after watching her solo this week, my dd said " if I ever feel embarrassed or uncomfortable about really performing on stage - I will remember how much more aweful this is". - no smile, no energy, no entertainment value.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #46 
I loved the group dance. It was great to see them so excited to do it, and it was great to see them do a new style. It was a fun dance and it came together very well.

I loved Jojo's solo as well, that make up was pretty incredible and she does play the character well. I loved her attitude, she gets all the crazy parts and she just embraces them. Other kids get given weird parts that are not so pretty and they complain, but Jojo gets excited about whatever she is given and then embraces it. Like last week in the bubble, any other parent would have had a heart attack after all the panic about not having air. But Jojo and Jess took it in their stride.

I was also very disappointed in Kendall's solo. That would not even place in the top 50 in her age group at our competitions. For me I think the personality on stage is a huge part of performing. I dance all through my childhood, teen years and early adulthood and in those days there was a lot less emphasis on tricks and a lot more emphasis on stage presence and using the body to make what we did look good. We didn't do 100 turns in a row but we spent many hours learning to turn the shoulders in such a way as to accentuate the head line and so on (but we still did triple and quad turns). Kendal displayed such poor personality, but the dance didn't exactly have that much skill to and up for it either.

I liked the idea that the other girls were learning the solos too. The emphasis was only constantly learning. The focus on their education as a dancer rather than just learning routines for a show.

I lov d the idea of bringing in the Mini's. One of my favourite things about dance studios is the beautiful interaction between the older and younger kids. The little ones look up to the older ones like big sisters and want to be like them and the older ones love the little ones like little sisters. It would be lovely to see all of that happening. It was quite funny to hear Abby say that they were going to experience a real competition, when no doubt those kids have all be competing for quite some time and at much bigger competitions.

You know in Australia we don't have the notion that real ballet does not begin until age 8 or above. Most studios have the kids taking their ballet exams from around 5 years of age. Our kids do 2 ballet classes a week and take ballet exams as well as a role in the ballet production from 4 or 5. They are doing proper barre work from age 5-6.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #47 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaranda
I loved the group dance. It was great to see them so excited to do it, and it was great to see them do a new style. It was a fun dance and it came together very well. I loved Jojo's solo as well, that make up was pretty incredible and she does play the character well. I loved her attitude, she gets all the crazy parts and she just embraces them. Other kids get given weird parts that are not so pretty and they complain, but Jojo gets excited about whatever she is given and then embraces it. Like last week in the bubble, any other parent would have had a heart attack after all the panic about not having air. But Jojo and Jess took it in their stride. I was also very disappointed in Kendall's solo. That would not even place in the top 50 in her age group at our competitions. For me I think the personality on stage is a huge part of performing. I dance all through my childhood, teen years and early adulthood and in those days there was a lot less emphasis on tricks and a lot more emphasis on stage presence and using the body to make what we did look good. We didn't do 100 turns in a row but we spent many hours learning to turn the shoulders in such a way as to accentuate the head line and so on (but we still did triple and quad turns). Kendal displayed such poor personality, but the dance didn't exactly have that much skill to and up for it either. I liked the idea that the other girls were learning the solos too. The emphasis was only constantly learning. The focus on their education as a dancer rather than just learning routines for a show. I lov d the idea of bringing in the Mini's. One of my favourite things about dance studios is the beautiful interaction between the older and younger kids. The little ones look up to the older ones like big sisters and want to be like them and the older ones love the little ones like little sisters. It would be lovely to see all of that happening. It was quite funny to hear Abby say that they were going to experience a real competition, when no doubt those kids have all be competing for quite some time and at much bigger competitions. You know in Australia we don't have the notion that real ballet does not begin until age 8 or above. Most studios have the kids taking their ballet exams from around 5 years of age. Our kids do 2 ballet classes a week and take ballet exams as well as a role in the ballet production from 4 or 5. They are doing proper barre work from age 5-6.

DS did his first RAD ballet exam at 5 here in Canada.
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom
I was gobsmacked watching Jill chastise Brynn like that.  And what is the matter with that woman?  That's a big studio with 3 people in it.  If Kendall thinks Brynn is dancing in front of her, then MOVE.  And you're right about the facials.  It's almost as if she's got LESS face as the years go on instead of more. And how about the new minis.  Wow.  Could any of your kids dance like that at age 6 or 7?  But finally a tiny beam of hope in that mom whose daughter was crying and she simply asked her, "do you want to go home?" The child nodded and the mom didn't hesitate ..."okay, let's go".  Unfortunately, the producers grabbed her in the parking lot and it looks like she comes back in but at least that mom has an iota of common sense.

Not to take away from any of the minis, but at least a couple of the girls who were on that episode are 9/10. Alyssa is 9. We compete against her often.

5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #49 
I'm sure there are places in the US with ballet at a younger age than I said. I'm just not aware of any in my experience.

I wish we did ballet exams around here!
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #50 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaranda
I loved the group dance. It was great to see them so excited to do it, and it was great to see them do a new style. It was a fun dance and it came together very well. I loved Jojo's solo as well, that make up was pretty incredible and she does play the character well. I loved her attitude, she gets all the crazy parts and she just embraces them. Other kids get given weird parts that are not so pretty and they complain, but Jojo gets excited about whatever she is given and then embraces it. Like last week in the bubble, any other parent would have had a heart attack after all the panic about not having air. But Jojo and Jess took it in their stride. I was also very disappointed in Kendall's solo. That would not even place in the top 50 in her age group at our competitions. For me I think the personality on stage is a huge part of performing. I dance all through my childhood, teen years and early adulthood and in those days there was a lot less emphasis on tricks and a lot more emphasis on stage presence and using the body to make what we did look good. We didn't do 100 turns in a row but we spent many hours learning to turn the shoulders in such a way as to accentuate the head line and so on (but we still did triple and quad turns). Kendal displayed such poor personality, but the dance didn't exactly have that much skill to and up for it either. I liked the idea that the other girls were learning the solos too. The emphasis was only constantly learning. The focus on their education as a dancer rather than just learning routines for a show. I lov d the idea of bringing in the Mini's. One of my favourite things about dance studios is the beautiful interaction between the older and younger kids. The little ones look up to the older ones like big sisters and want to be like them and the older ones love the little ones like little sisters. It would be lovely to see all of that happening. It was quite funny to hear Abby say that they were going to experience a real competition, when no doubt those kids have all be competing for quite some time and at much bigger competitions. You know in Australia we don't have the notion that real ballet does not begin until age 8 or above. Most studios have the kids taking their ballet exams from around 5 years of age. Our kids do 2 ballet classes a week and take ballet exams as well as a role in the ballet production from 4 or 5. They are doing proper barre work from age 5-6.

DS did his first RAD ballet exam at 5 here in Canada.

RAD is the same no matter where you are so of course children in the US follow that syllabus as well. A 5 year old in ballet is not doing the same kind of work as an 8 or 9 year old. That's just due to being 5 not the country in which you live. My daughters were both in RAD programs at 5. That's one of them as a 4 year old in my profile pic.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: