Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 6 of 11     «   Prev   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   Next   »
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #126 
I didn't DVR last night's episodeā€¦ but Kaylee Quinn is one of the Insta-famous dancers my DD10 follows on instagram. She used to dance at Dance Precisions (Molly Long's fierce mini dancers) My DD would love to see her!

ETA: Kaylee used to dance at Dance Precisions not my DD [smile]
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #127 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktyyyyyyy
I had heard the Quinn sisters were going to be on Dance Moms this season, but it was still very disappointing to see. Kaylee, especially, does not need Dance Moms. She is a working actress, a model, and an amazing dancer. She won the Hope Award at YAGP this year! She came across as a spoiled brat on the show. She clearly didn't want to be there, but her mom forcing her to be on the show just made Kaylee look bad.

In what Regional did she win the Hope Award?
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #128 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13

In what Regional did she win the Hope Award?

Las Vegas
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #129 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancexoxocolleen
From what I read that Kaylee herself posted online, they were treated very very poorly in the 4 days they were at the studio. She didn't have an issue with dancing with younger kids (she said she did mini groups with her sisters last comp season), so i think it was things that we the audience didn't see that were causing her behavior.

The conversations they showed between her and her mom made it very clear that she was upset to be dancing with the minis.  She did not want to be in a stupid monster dance with minis.  She fully expected to be in the older group right off the bat and was not impressed.  Don't know how much of that attitude came from mom though.  They both came off as very witchy.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #130 
The show certainly did not do that family, especially Kaylee any favours.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #131 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom

The conversations they showed between her and her mom made it very clear that she was upset to be dancing with the minis.  She did not want to be in a stupid monster dance with minis.  She fully expected to be in the older group right off the bat and was not impressed.  Don't know how much of that attitude came from mom though.  They both came off as very witchy.

I have a feeling that this was a set up.  They told her that she was dancing with the older girls & then changed it when they got there.  Also, reality tv shows are known for editing this out of context. So I wouldn't judge either of them from this small snippet.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #132 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktyyyyyyy
Las Vegas

Thanks - I finally had time to look last night and found the results. 
Finals are going to be very interesting in the Pre-Comp. category since Master Ballet has 4 or 5 Hope Award winners going this year. 
TAP

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #133 
I've never commented here before, but this topic hits close to home. The Quinn's dance at the same studio as my daughter. They are lovely and hardworking girls, and are extremely disappointed in the show's editing. Kaylee is a successful actress (she plays the re-occurring role of young kirsten in ABC's "Stitchers"), model (Pearl Yukiko, California Kisses, Cb dancewear, many other dancewear companies) and an incredible dancer (won the Hope Award at YAPG, 1st runner up mini best dancer at TDA, numerous national titles). She does this all while attending regular school and receiving straight A's. Kaylee has remarkable talent, but most of all of her drive, commitment and work ethic to her craft is unparallel.

After being begged to appear on an episode of Dance Moms numerous times, they finally decided to give it a shot and see the environment for themselves. Kaylee and her sisters treated it just like any other job they booked, but unfortunately soon realized that it wasn't an environment they would like to be in. They were lied to by the producers (she booked the job on the premises of dancing with the juniors the week) criticized and belittled by the moms, and were overall not happy. And btw, they didn't leave a day before the competition, that was all editing....also notice how they edited scenes of her looking behind herself, or looking frustrated and edited in corrections to make it seem as though she was being disrespectful? I am disgusted at why adult producers feel this is right to do to a child!

Kaylee is definitely at (or in my opinion, beyond) the level of the dance mom girls, and will one day become a star. See her talent for yourself:

2015 solos:

2016 YAPG contemporary:

Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #134 
That is so dissapointing to hear. From some one who had no idea who these girls were it really came across on the show like Kaylee was disrespectful and putting in very little effort. These producers are basically damaging that girls career. Surely this show must have some lawsuits against them already for defamation of character.
TAP

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #135 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaranda
That is so dissapointing to hear. From some one who had no idea who these girls were it really came across on the show like Kaylee was disrespectful and putting in very little effort. These producers are basically damaging that girls career. Surely this show must have some lawsuits against them already for defamation of character.

For years now the producers have been calling Jeannie (the mom) and asking her daughters to appear on the show, and she has declined because of training commitments (to both comp and ballet studios) and negative rumors about the environment. The were even offered full contracts by the producers for all three kids at the beginning of the season (without even ever showing up to "open call auditions")....well they decided to try it out for one episode and the environment was worse than any of you could imagine! Apparently Abby loved her kids, but shockingly, the issues were with the other moms...Jeannie couldn't stand them and the kids were very confused why the moms were saying such mean things about them when they were standing 3 feet away!
DonnaO

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #136 
While I am largely sympathetic to the Quinns finding the atmosphere on the show to be toxic, exploitative, manipulative and fake, I'm afraid there's really a limit to how much moral outrage they can fairly claim.

If they weren't aware of how the show is operated, then they're the only people in the dance world who have missed it. Prudence might have suggested a call to the Lukasiac or Hyland families for some insight.

As for the girls themselves - I have zero sympathy for their mother - they should have been told that everybody yells and says mean stuff but that it's just for show, nobody really means it, just treat it like a game and remember it's a TV show performance not real life.

Throwing those poor girls into that ugly mess unprepared was simply bad parenting. More importantly it ought to serve as a warning to all the lovely people - Moms and dancers alike - who the show is desperately trying to bait into appearing that they just need to say no.

tappergirlmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #137 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaO
While I am largely sympathetic to the Quinns finding the atmosphere on the show to be toxic, exploitative, manipulative and fake, I'm afraid there's really a limit to how much moral outrage they can fairly claim. If they weren't aware of how the show is operated, then they're the only people in the dance world who have missed it. Prudence might have suggested a call to the Lukasiac or Hyland families for some insight. As for the girls themselves - I have zero sympathy for their mother - they should have been told that everybody yells and says mean stuff but that it's just for show, nobody really means it, just treat it like a game and remember it's a TV show performance not real life. Throwing those poor girls into that ugly mess unprepared was simply bad parenting. More importantly it ought to serve as a warning to all the lovely people - Moms and dancers alike - who the show is desperately trying to bait into appearing that they just need to say no.

I have to agree.  I mean, come on, the show has aired for six seasons now.  How can they act like they had no clue what they were in for.

Many people had never heard of Kaylee Quinn.  Now they have.  I think that was the objective of the family all along...instant infamy.  I don't know how dense or naive they would have to be to expect anything different.
tinydancers

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #138 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappergirlmom

I have to agree.  I mean, come on, the show has aired for six seasons now.  How can they act like they had no clue what they were in for.

Many people had never heard of Kaylee Quinn.  Now they have.  I think that was the objective of the family all along...instant infamy.  I don't know how dense or naive they would have to be to expect anything different.

Yes! Dense and naive at best, but most likely the mother is a woman following Melissa's playbook.
TAP

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #139 
The Quinn's were asked to be guest dancers for one week. It sounded like a good opportunity to Jeanne as it would show off the incredible talent of her children and put their names out there, while making connections. One week only. Similar to what was done by Sophia Lucia, or even Brynn and Kalani before they were asked to come back full time. Her girls have worked with Abby before, and had not experienced anything nasty, and Abby was ok with the girls coming. It could of been a valuable work experience just like any other job they book. Unfortunately, as many have guessed, the moms hateful comments do not stop when the cameras are not rolling...it is not scripted or staged at all [crazy]

I guess the theme of "three talented sisters come as guests for the week, but leave shortly after discovering that the environment was not right for them" is not something the producers could put out...because after all, isn't every little dancer in America dying for a chance to go on dance moms? Aren't that supposed to try and do anything to stay! Isn't dance moms the be-all end-all? Aren't they only supposed to leave once Abby deans them unsuitable? Why would anyone in the right mind choose to leave the show...LOL. It is sad that these adults thought it would be fair to them flip it on Kaylee and a "bad attitude". Kaylee was wondering why they kept the camera on her face 24/7...while looking at the ground or looking frustrated when waiting to start filming a scene, or waiting for Miss Gianna to fix a problem with the music, or rolling her eyes at her sister when Coco was trying to be funny during a break. They took all the scenes and edited them to further their needed theme!

Luckily the Quinn's had more self-respect than a lot of other families who have taken part in the show. Abby often goes on about how it is a privilege to wear her name of your back, but after what they experienced in the studio, the Quinn's decided that they did not want to represent the ALDC either.

mom2summer

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #140 
We haven't watched this episode yet, but it is a shame to think that the producers would try to over dramatize a bad attitude of a young girl....

Anyways, just popped in to say that the videos posted of this girl are spectacular, she definitely is talented. Love the second one "Out of Dirt". Her feet are incredible at 2:05!
happytappyfeet

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #141 
I haven't seen the episode either. I would never judge a child based on this show. However I will totally judge the parents. The parents were willing to trade their and their children's dignity for the exposure. I get it. They were hoping it would lead to something bigger as it has for Maddie. But please don't tell me how they didn't realize they could be lied to and manipulated and how they didn't want to continue with the show, especially when they were asked to make just a one week appearance. That I don't buy. As the parents they should just own their decision.
tinydancers

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #142 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAP
isn't every little dancer in America dying for a chance to go on dance moms? >

Umm, no.
And even if my dds were, it's my job to protect them from harmful things they think they want. Most sane mothers wouldn't sign on with anything so widely understood to be reprehensible. Mom obviously thought it was a fast track to a larger audience. Maybe she was right or maybe it'll be a fleeting moment of infamy and their 15 minutes are over.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #143 
I don't think any semi-sane person in the industry would judge these children based on the show. I think it is well known how the show portrays dancers and their mothers.  This children have apparently worked enough already (at least Kaylee as described above) to have established their own positive reputation. 

Of course, I have not seen the episode either. I am sure we will see much more of Kaylee in the future. 
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #144 
Well perhaps she did get something out of the going on the show. I had never heard of Kaylee Quinn or the Quinn is items here in Australia. I had seen the video of her on YouTube as a 5 year old but had no idea who it was. Now I have heard of them all. Perhaps this was a leg up to more international recognition.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #145 
There is no doubt that Kaylee is a beautiful dancer with a ton of talent.  I find it hard to believe that their mother didn't know what she was getting into.  Watch one episode of this show - especially lately with Brynn and Ashley - and you can see how the moms are and the world knows what a world class b*$%h Abby can be.  Everyone in the dance world know this.  Claiming ignorance now that it has blown up in their face is questionable.

As far as "every" dancer wanting to be on the show that is a stretch.  I can tell you that 100% of my dance mom friends from Canada and the US would never put their kids on that train wreck no matter what they promised.
happytappyfeet

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #146 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
There is no doubt that Kaylee is a beautiful dancer with a ton of talent.  I find it hard to believe that their mother didn't know what she was getting into.  Watch one episode of this show - especially lately with Brynn and Ashley - and you can see how the moms are and the world knows what a world class b*$%h Abby can be.  Everyone in the dance world know this.  Claiming ignorance now that it has blown up in their face is questionable.

As far as "every" dancer wanting to be on the show that is a stretch.  I can tell you that 100% of my dance mom friends from Canada and the US would never put their kids on that train wreck no matter what they promised.

There was suppose to be a Canadian version of this show, but I don't think it ever materialized. The casting director, producer, or some such person had a mutual acquaintance of ours approach me about my DD and I participating. Not only did I say no, I was somewhat offended. Did they really think I would say yes to something like that?! I would like to think it never materialized because they couldn't get enough crazy parents to agree to it.

Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #147 
I had received an email about the Canadian version. It was right after season one or two. Even before the show got really crazy. No, I did not apply! Even season one was too much!
happytappyfeet

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #148 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2228
I had received an email about the Canadian version. It was right after season one or two. Even before the show got really crazy. No, I did not apply! Even season one was too much!

You're so right -- even though it was pretty early on, you could see it was a train wreck. That's why I don't have any sympathy for whiny by parents afterward.
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #149 
I haven't watched the most recent episode, but I did watch the few before. The moms have become so hateful! It's really sad to see grown women act that way. They have put themselves on pedestals and are so blind and caught in their own little world that they can't see what they've become. Just really, really sad.

5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #150 
As far as Kaylee and crew, they obviously didn't have much footage at all to support their agenda. They were barely on the episode. I was disappointed they didn't show more of her dancing after reading this thread. I think they should have known what they were getting into but I also respect that they walked out.

I can't believe that this show was renewed [frown]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: