Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyklane

Ahh.. Yes. I just saw it.

I'll have to add - it did not seem a highly technical dance? Choosing my words here. At least with the quality of their dancers..  I've come to expect more now that I have had real experience at comps - outside of costumes/etc - it wasn't very interesting..

(maybe they didn't' show the good parts.. lol!!!)

I may get slammed for this but I honestly don't think that most of these girls rank much higher than your very average 'good' comp dancer. They may have one who is 'very good'.  But nothing I've seen makes me think of any of these girls as even close to amazing.  They  have definitely stalled.  And they don't even look like... I don't know how to say it.... let's say that they aren't in tip top dancer's shape either.  This definitely isn't about 'dance' anymore.  It's about celebrity.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

I may get slammed for this but I honestly don't think that most of these girls rank much higher than your very average 'good' comp dancer. They may have one who is 'very good'.  But nothing I've seen makes me think of any of these girls as even close to amazing.  They  have definitely stalled.  And they don't even look like... I don't know how to say it.... let's say that they aren't in tip top dancer's shape either.  This definitely isn't about 'dance' anymore.  It's about celebrity.

I agree. I think if you put those girls up against solos/groups competing at the Dance Awards or even conventions in bigger cities they'd get blown out of the water. 
2dornot2d

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcrew

I agree. I think if you put those girls up against solos/groups competing at the Dance Awards or even conventions in bigger cities they'd get blown out of the water. 

I saw one of them and her sister at The Dance Awards NY 2015 and another girl at Vegas 2016. They all placed top 10-20 but their solos and techniques were not even close to any of the others who made top 20. Our Kids were a little disappointed to see and realize those girls were not THAT good but still made the top.
lovemykids

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #29 
I just had to look it up since I don't watch the show anymore. Wow! Beyond inappropriate! And the dancing was TERRIBLE! In fact there was very little dancing involved, just posing and whipping. You could tell they were clearly uncomfortable in those high heels and that they are not used to dancing with them. Horrible choreography, no technique, terrible costume. Everything about it was wrong. I can't understand how those parents allow their girls to be exposed like this on TV.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

We have kids at our studio who could easily beat them, I think. And we have certainly competed against better. Peaking early as some of them did doesn’t make for better in the long run especially when you aren’t focused on the actual training.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
I don't think they ever got better.  They were really good little dancers but they're not any better than they were when they were ten.  The fact that Chloe (who hasn't been training) was able to keep up with them says a lot about their skill.

emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
I don't think they ever got better.  They were really good little dancers but they're not any better than they were when they were ten.  The fact that Chloe (who hasn't been training) was able to keep up with them says a lot about their skill.

I actually find a couple of them cringe-worthy while dancing actually. So sad, but they gave up on dance training many years ago in their pursuit of fame and fortune.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:

My husband just said that! And the posture on some! Yikes
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #34 
It'll be interesting to see how long the girls can stay in the spotlight after the show is over and become adults.  Will they transition to other reality TV?  Start hosting?  Go live normal lives?  Get acting careers?

I would love to see Maddie and Chloe on The Amazing Race together though.  That would be entertaining [tongue]
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Slightly off topic, but in line with the 'what will happen to'. I was just thinking today, what ever happened to Lucas from dance moms Miami. So talented with great training! Checked his Instagram out today and I admit I am disappointed. Looks like he stopped dancing 😕
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Sophia Lucia seems to at the very least to have stepped her training back in a huge way. . . . .
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Sophia Lucia seems to at the very least to have stepped her training back in a huge way. . . . .

Certainly some examples of why it might not be the best choice of career path to be doing what they were doing at such young ages.
AnnaBeav

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2228
what ever happened to Lucas from dance moms Miami.

Dance Moms Miami? This was a show??
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #39 
Yes.

Why were there so many kids wearing ALDC garb on stage at awards?
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #40 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBeav

Dance Moms Miami? This was a show??

Yeah, lasted one season (8 shows) and didn't take off.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #41 
Quote:
Originally Posted by judie

Why were there so many kids wearing ALDC garb on stage at awards?

The competitions are staged for TV. Only a small amount of groups/solos from studios that are picked by production are invited to come. I won’t say that they are outright fake, but they are highly manipulated and results are televised in such a way to forward the storylines. Our studio was invited years ago when they did some competitions in St. Louis. Our owner declined. I know that there are no entry fees for the invited studios, but you have to purchase a ticket to be in the audience, I’ve heard at $40/person.
DonnaO

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmymom

I actually find a couple of them cringe-worthy while dancing actually. So sad, but they gave up on dance training many years ago in their pursuit of fame and fortune.

So well said.

Sad too that, to me at least, it looks very much like Kendall, Kalani and Nia aren't even trying that hard any more. They're mailing it in.

If we can be honest, Kendall was never going to be great. Nia Either. Not going to add to that.

But Kalani was special. On AUDC she was wonderful. She could have gone farther.

For all of the remaining originals, when it's final that the show is cancelled - and it appears that way - I would be shocked if any of them ever took another lesson or perform again on stage.

They just look burned out.
dancingymnast

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaO

So well said.

Sad too that, to me at least, it looks very much like Kendall, Kalani and Nia aren't even trying that hard any more. They're mailing it in.

If we can be honest, Kendall was never going to be great. Nia Either. Not going to add to that.

But Kalani was special. On AUDC she was wonderful. She could have gone farther.

For all of the remaining originals, when it's final that the show is cancelled - and it appears that way - I would be shocked if any of them ever took another lesson or perform again on stage.

They just look burned out.

I hope the minis keep dancing. I think those two girls have a lot of potential, so hopefully the show ending will be a good thing for them allowing them to concentrate on dancing again.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #44 
Many kids drop out of dance as the year go by, with or without a television show contract and the world looking on.
ballerinamom13

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #45 
I know 9 year olds who are so far past those "dancers", it wouldn't even be a contest.  The show is a huge  joke.  I don't really understand why it's still on.  I haven't watched for years.
DonnaO

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #46 
Everyone seems to be very much in agreement on the DM girls as they are now. Rightly so I think.

But were these things as true five years ago? What I mean is, were they ever among the best in their age group? Most people didn't think so at the time. If they were then the fact that they're so far behind now would seem to prove that the show has had a bad effect on their dance careers.

But if they weren't ever that strong then maybe being a "celebrity" and having 88,000,000 Instagram followers was always about the best they could have hoped for anyway.

My suspicion, please forgive me, is that it was always and only about Maddie. I won't say that she carried the rest of them but she was a spark and someone you had to work hard to keep up with. Say what you want but nobody outworks the kid. Maybe it's Melissa, or maybe she's just driven. And talented. And her dance has progressed (from what little I see) way beyond the girls she left at ALDC.

Sorry didn't mean to make a speech.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #47 
Maddie and Chloe were both very good and Kahalani was even better.  Chloe basically stopped training so she's like one of those kids who drops out when they're thirteen who had the potential but not the will, puberty was not kind to Kahalani (although she could have made it as a commercial dancer had she kept dancing).  The others were good for their age but not that special.  Maddie is working now but once she's off the SIA train she won't be able to keep up with dancers who spent these years really training (unless she is taking class regularly), but she (and the others) could continue to get dance jobs due to her name and connections.  Chloe has made a good name for herself on social media and I wouldn't be suprised if she ends up being able too swing that into a hosting gig (and lifetime/halmark movies) in the future.

I got the idea that none of them were training in their middle school years the number of hours (of technique) that serious dance students are training.  That they just weren't taking class.

I hear Bree is back at home and has joined the cheerleading squad.

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaO

But if they weren't ever that strong then maybe being a "celebrity" and having 88,000,000 Instagram followers was always about the best they could have hoped for anyway.

There's no way of knowing really.  Some kids seem like they are amazing from day one and just keep on soaring.  Some kids seem amazing from day one and then plateau, never to rise to the top.  Some kids start off slow and don't really hit their stride until they reach their teens.  Who knows what would have happened with these dancers if they had never entered the world of reality tv... if their focus had just been on consistent, high quality dance training.  I guess I only hope that they didn't enter into this circus with unrealistic expectations.  If they went in just looking for an adventure... well... that's what they got and they should be happy.  But if they thought it was a ticket to the big time... my guess is that the whole lot of them are going to be disappointed in a few years when they fade into obscurity.     
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #49 
See it all the time at the studio, when they are little there are certain dancers who just stand out and seem so far ahead of the others. But then the others mature and catch up and those dancers don't stand out so much anymore.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #50 
I believe their training hours decreased as the show became more popular - other “obligations” took priority and they spent less time in true classes and I imagine probably got a little burned out from working so many hours for tv. So while many showed talent and promise while yoing, those dancers who continued training hard far surpassed them... and by that point they probably didn’t care.

Also I agree having Maddie was a driving force probably and more so than someone they didn’t have such a long history with... but even before she left for good there were declines with others seeming ability IMO.

And Jacaranda was on point too... some dancers “peak” early be it natural flexibility or an early sense of body control or whatever but then you see it al even out and others surpass. One of our strongest at 7 is one of our least strong as a teen.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.