Register Calendar New Posts

Author Comment

purplerain

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
DD14 is preparing to audition for a few dance intensivesfor the summer. She is going to audition for the rock school summer intensive next month. She did SAB & Joffrey New York a few years ago. She wanted to do Juilliard but is too young for their summer program. She wants to try something different and work on her weakest style in dance. I don't want her to travel too far but she loves the Debbie Allen intensive and wants to audition. Most of the intensives she has done have been ballet. Since she wants to try something different I'm trying to look for ballet, tap, jazz, and musical theater intensives. There are a few in my area I came across at peri dance and Steps on Broadway that offer what she is looking for. A few dancers at my studio attended the Rockettes intensive. I've also heard of SOCAPA, which was recommended to me by another parent. Any other suggestions?
tendumom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
She might be interested in the Alvin Ailey intensive. Strong ballet but strong in contemporary/modern and other dance forms as well.

A friend of dd's did Peridance and loved it. We know someone who did the Steps Intensive a few years ago. My impression, which could be wrong, was that it was a ballet intensive (maybe they have more than 1 program ? Not sure). 

If she wants a ballet intensive that also has classes in jazz, modern, and hip hop, I can recommend one that won't be too far for you. Will send you a PM.
tendumom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Hmm.. can we still send PMs if we aren't premium members?
JojosDanceMom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
Hmm.. can we still send PMs if we aren't premium members?

Yes, if you click on the person's name beside their post a menu pops up with "Private Message" as an option.  I'd be interested in knowing more about this intensive with multiple dance styles that you mentioned as well.  [biggrin]
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
What about Pointe Park? That one has a strong ballet emphasis but covers a range dance forms. 

I would say that if you want to do Rockette, it draws a lot on a classical form.  You wouldn't think so but that choreographer was a Fosse dancer (Linda Haberman) and she favors a classically trained dancer.  Many of the Rockettes are bunheads who learned tap. I would not do it if you are not likely to reach 5'6.  The Rockette heights are 5'6 to 5'9 and they don't bend.  They do employ a small group of Ensemble dancers, but the ROckettes are the heart of that organization. 
My2DanceLoves

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Not sure where you are but NYSSSA has a ballet summer intensive but also a seperate "dance" program. My DD's are auditioning this year

The dates for the dance program are here.

http://www.oce.nysed.gov/nysssa/SOD/auditions.html
momtodancinggirl

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 

We are in the "Intensive Search" route ourselves- we are looking at UNSCA- with the magnificent fabulous "my favorite teacher ever ever ever" according to DD- Casey Noblett. We're looking for ballet with more this year as well! Last year she was accepted to many but we ended up at Next Generation, and while the program was super organized and the lodging/food/overall experience was amazing, DD didn't feel very challenged, so this year we are looking for MORE!

tendumom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
It's a small intensive in NJ- Princeton Dance and Theater. It is a ballet intensive, but they do also get classes in other genres which is something my dd prefers in an intensive.

They have daily ballet technique and pointe classes as well as variations class.  Also weekly partnering, Broadway jazz, hip hop, character and modern. Not sure how often pilates and stretch occur, but at least once a week. Last summer, there were also classes in contemporary ballet. When dd went a few years back, there was also salsa. The main guest teachers are very well known, fabulous teachers who are actively involved (not just teaching a class, all at the program for multiple days)- Susan Jaffe (it's the school she founded so she returns every summer), Cynthia Gregory, Kyra Nichols and Roy Kaiser (PA Ballet). Add to that, the regular teachers are fantastic, hands on, and nuturing. It's a small program- limited to 20 per level (usually less per level as in 12-16). There is housing (a house at the Lawrenceville School) and excursions such a trip to see ABT in NYC, water park or Six Flags and more. 

DD is a little lost looking at intensives this year. She barely auditioned for any last year as she got her first choices very early on which was this one for June/July and ABT for August. She feels like she needs to audition for company-school-related intensives this time around. 
purplerain

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
She might be interested in the Alvin Ailey intensive. Strong ballet but strong in contemporary/modern and other dance forms as well.

A friend of dd's did Peridance and loved it. We know someone who did the Steps Intensive a few years ago. My impression, which could be wrong, was that it was a ballet intensive (maybe they have more than 1 program ? Not sure). 

If she wants a ballet intensive that also has classes in jazz, modern, and hip hop, I can recommend one that won't be too far for you. Will send you a PM.

Thanks for the info.. I don't know much about Alvin. A few dancers I know did go to Steps& Rockettes intensives. I know The Rockette intensive is very competitive and hard core. I know tap is a requirement that you must have to audition.
purplerain

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by classydance
What about Pointe Park? That one has a strong ballet emphasis but covers a range dance forms. 

I would say that if you want to do Rockette, it draws a lot on a classical form.  You wouldn't think so but that choreographer was a Fosse dancer (Linda Haberman) and she favors a classically trained dancer.  Many of the Rockettes are bunheads who learned tap. I would not do it if you are not likely to reach 5'6.  The Rockette heights are 5'6 to 5'9 and they don't bend.  They do employ a small group of Ensemble dancers, but the ROckettes are the heart of that organization. 

My DD is currently 5'8. However tap is her weakest style. She does want to work on it. DD is fine with ballet. How advanced is the tap for the Rockette intensive? Pointe Park we haven't really looked at. She has looked at Debbie Allen. We recently came across NC dance. They offer a ton of things that she is looking for.
purplerain

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2DanceLoves
Not sure where you are but NYSSSA has a ballet summer intensive but also a seperate "dance" program. My DD's are auditioning this year

Thanks for the link, I read that it is a modern dance program.
My2DanceLoves

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2DanceLoves

Thanks for the link, I read that it is a modern dance program.

Yes that is correct. I had forgotten that.  We have too many things coming up :/   So not what you are looking for ... sorry. 
wannabedancemom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
D said that the Rockette Tap wasn't that advanced, and she considers tap as a weakness for herself and said she felt confident during the audition. You need to be able to learn the tap quickly obviously though and know terms, what D has said. If anyone has any other questions about the audition I can ask D and relay the answers on here.
purplerain

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabedancemom
D said that the Rockette Tap wasn't that advanced, and she considers tap as a weakness for herself and said she felt confident during the audition. You need to be able to learn the tap quickly obviously though and know terms, what D has said. If anyone has any other questions about the audition I can ask D and relay the answers on here.

Thanks for the info. How far advanced is it? What things does she need to know? Also how many are chosen for the program? Thanks for the info
wannabedancemom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
D said the combination wasn't that bad doesn't remember much, nothing awful though, she said there were some beginner tappers there and they did alright. They do ask you to do a triple or maybe double triple time step by yourself as part of the audition though. D wasn't accepted, we think because she's short, but she wanted to try. So, we are unsure of how many were accepted, I believe it's somewhere on google though.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: