Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,

Class of 2017, sniffles, mom checking in for the first time. At this point, DD17 is not considering a major in the arts. But she has been a comp dancer for 7 years, sings in a very highly rated HS choir and performs in musicals as much as she can. Now that we are zeroing in on college choices, I think a factor would be what kind of opportunities DD could have to sing, dance or act outside of a major. Are these things available on campus?
tapstermom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
It might depend on where she attends.  My dd is not a dance major, however, she was still able to take dance classes.  She did have to take some placement classes before she started her freshman year, but that was fine.  Some of her teachers at her studio, had also studied at the college, which was nice as they will able to help with which classed to take. We also have some nice adult classes around town which she has taken a few times.  She still is involved in dance as she now teaches at a local studio. and still tap dances in several shows.  
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
The secret to being able to perform in the arts as a non-arts major in college is to go to a school that doesn't have much of a program for majors.  If you are someplace where there are tons of arts majors, there won't be parts for the non-majors (or even all the kids who are in the major). 
3girls

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
My daughter isn't a dance major but she wanted to keep dancing so she joined the school's dance team. She gets to practice about 3 hours a day and has performance opportunities, they also do a few college level dance competitions each year.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I've heard really good things about Muhlenberg College.  You may want to check out College Confidential as a resource. 
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
My DD college has an open campus dance production each year for nonmajors.  The majors do choreo and lead parts but anyone else on campus that wants to dance gets to.  The Greek organizations all have a dance off as part of Greek week as well so there are lots of dance options.  Most colleges have a dance team as well and often the musical theatre dept will have open call for some of the shows.  Just ask about those options as she tours.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.