Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Thanks for the info.  To the best of my knowledge no one does All-Star dance comps around here.  Most of our local high school teams compete in some combination of jazz, hip hop, and poms routines at UDA regionals and nationals. (and the dance teams, are separate from the cheer teams).  
dave9988

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AthleteArtistDancer

*smile*  Pom Poms are colored fluffy things held in your hands. Pom routines demand precision, tight moves, loud "spirit" enthusiasm, kick lines, and often gymnastic tricks are included. Some teams wear the traditional cheerleader-style uniform, others wear more modern costumes.  Here's a pic of our girls at NDA Nationals from a couple years ago.

So is there a difference between "poms" and "cheer?"
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988

Heck, I'm not even sure what "poms" are.

Around here the HS dance teams are called Poms teams or squads.  Which can be very different than studio dance.  Although a few studios around here do cater to the Poms style, so more hard-hitting, sharp and unison dancing, and not as much ballet, lyrical, cont, tap or storytelling.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
To me the easiest way to think of the differences is that dance team would perform a fully choreographed pom routine (such as you might see at a halftime show of a basketball game for the purpose of crowd entertainment) with leaps and turns, but without shouting or stunting.  This basically looks like a sharp competition jazz number while holding small pom pons.   Cheerleaders cheer while the game is going on and use their voices to generate crowd enthusiasm during the game - this is usually less dance based and more athletic.  The dancers around here usually have strong opinions about which team they are interested in joining! 
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Cheerleaders lead cheers, songleaders lead songs (so they dance), but they also cheer along with the cheerleaders at games. Cheerleaders typically do stunts, tumbling, pyramids, etc, while songleaders dance. Songleaders dance with poms, though not always...cheerleaders sometimes use poms but not as much as they need their hands free for stunts and tumbling. 

While my daughter might be standing sideline at a football game holding pom poms, she's not a cheerleader. She's a songleader. While the cheerleaders are doing their stunts and such, the songleaders are dancing. We have JV Song and Varsity Song (and there is JV Cheer and Varsity Cheer), and some schools also have freshman squads. 

Together, the cheerleaders and the songleaders (and the mascots) make up the PEP SQUAD. Hope that makes sense. Not all schools have songleaders...many only have cheerleaders. 

Some schools only have their pep squad do sideline at games. Some also compete. My daughter's school is one that competes. Her team is very good and draws dancers from studios from all over the area...many transfer to her school just to be on this team. They won NDA Nationals (in Orlando) this year at the advanced level. They compete in pom and in jazz. They don't attend regular dance competitions like we mostly discuss here...they attend All-Star competitions. NDA, USA, UDA, USSL, those are the biggies. Most also have cheer divisions. And most cheer gyms also have dance teams...these are the type of dance teams that will attend an All-Star competition and what we refer to as an All-Star studio. All-Star studios will not compete against high schools, however. But it will be at the same competition. And if you have a kid that dances on a high school song/pom team as well as an All-Star Studio, you might have a kid that is competing for two different teams at the same competition. 

A pom routine is when they wear their school competition uniform - looks like a cheer uniform but it's all blinged out - and dance while holding poms. A jazz routine is just like a regular jazz routine that any studio will do and they wear a costume. You don't typically see lyrical...when you do it's usually not that good. 

All-Star dance competition season typically runs from December-March. And since studio (regular) dance competitions typically don't start until March or April, and run until July, this is why being on both a high school team and a studio team isn't so much of a conflict. 

My daughter absolutely loves both song and her studio and is heading into her fourth year doing both. 

Hope that helps clarify things...

Emmie46

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #31 
That was a great explanation. Thanks for your response.
Noel

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #32 
The All Star experience, in our area at least, is hugely dependent on a lot of things, particularly for the younger ages. Pertinent to this post, yes, the pom category is a big part of All Star dance.

I would have to disagree that it is very much like a studio experience in the same way that one studio experience can be very very much unlike a different studio. I mention it at all because I think it really matters when selecting a studio and parents can get eyeball deep at an all star studio before really understanding All Star's place in the larger dance world.

I'll just put it out there that if you're interested in my opinion of All Star studios and what I think you need to know before you invest, please feel free to PM me.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: