Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Emmie46

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I hope this is posted in the right place. Does your studio allow dancers to be on the company team and their high school Pom squad? My dancer will have to choose.
H2mom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Is there a reason given they make them decide one or the other, like due to scheduling conflicts?
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Our studio allows it, but our high school does not. The nearest neighboring school does, and almost their entire team also competes with our studio, but dancers at our school have to choose.

ETA: the school dance team has a very rigorous schedule, around 20 hrs a week of rehearsal, usually six days a week plus frequent fundraisers and performances.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Our studio does allow it, and so do all of the local high schools as far as I know. We've had dancers do both. 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I don't know of any studio that forbids students from dancing on various high school teams. The problem is that the better studios seems to have their dancers there so much that it conflicts with school rehearsals. As such, in this area, the school dance teams, poms, etc are not particularly strong. 
AtTheStudio

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Around here I don't think any of the high school teams say the girls can't be on studio teams. That said, they have extreme expectations on girls' time with attendence pretty much required at everything. As such, the local dance studios seem to have done a pretty good job working around the high school schedules as a way to support their dancers doing both. 
Emmie46

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2mom
Is there a reason given they make them decide one or the other, like due to scheduling conflicts?

I'm not sure of the reason. Poms is a fall winter sport and our first competition is usually In March. Some Company rehearsals can be on during the week but most are on Sunday.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Most studios and schools around us allow both.  Some local studios highly discourage it (and even say no if you are on team), but most help the girls to make it work.  One of our SOs and a couple of DTs are also coaches for local high school Pom teams.  

Having a dancer who did both for 3 years (she did cheer her freshman year), I can tell you it is challenging with the school/Poms/studio balance and time management.  Our Poms state (final comp and generally last performance of the year) was 2 weeks before our first studio comp!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
I don't know of any studio that forbids students from dancing on various high school teams. The problem is that the better studios seems to have their dancers there so much that it conflicts with school rehearsals. As such, in this area, the school dance teams, poms, etc are not particularly strong. 

The toxic studio we went to did forbid it and it was written in the contract that you couldn't be on a school poms or dance team.  So different than the studio DD15 is at now where she schedules rehearsals and classes around the poms schedule so that the girls can do both.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Dd will do both studio and high school dance team next year as will almost all of the girls on her high school dance team.  The studios do not schedule teen/senior classes on Friday or Saturday nights so the girls can perform at games.  Many of the local high schools have excellent dance teams, but they tend to rely on technique training coming out of the studios, so practices are more performance specific.  High school regionals and nationals can conflict with studio activities, so the studios get information about those dates before committing to those dates for studio competitions.
dancer1234

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Years ago the old studio did not allow Ballet or Competition team to be part of a high school team as it too away too much time from serious dance.  That changed after several students left and followed a teacher starting her own studio, where they allowed this.  Then the studio allowed students to do extra activities with their school, but had strict guidance on how many rehearsals that could be missed for outside activities. 
rubydancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Our studio allows it, but most girls choose one or the other because it's so much time. The high school girls who also do their school team miss the first comp because there are many rules about when they can be back at the studio practicing on the studio team. 
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
DD's previous studio didn't forbid it but they talked negatively about poms in general so the girls either didn't want to participate or quit the studio and just did poms or the high school dance team.  Current studio doesn't but there were issues with a dancer not being there.  Of course they scheduled rehearsals for Friday nights sooo.....  They are a new studio so I'm hoping it's a lesson learned.  The SO has shared with me that they are changing a lot of things next year.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Since we are a newer studio, it hasn't come up yet. None of the girls on our senior comp team have any interest. One local studio doesn't allow their comp dancers on the HS dance team. I think the other two are more flexible. DD tells me the HS team isn't very highly regarded. She had zero interest.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
DD's old studio didn't forbid it, but their requirements were so great that it made it almost impossible to do both. As a result, many high school students ended up leaving the studio in order to be on their school teams.

DD is at a new studio this year and they accommodate high school teams. Their requirements are less, and they don't start competitions until April. As a result, they are able to retain their older dancers. DD is in three different senior large groups. At her old studio, there were never enough older dancers to form senior large groups. At the new studio, almost all of the older dancers are on their high school teams too. DD is on her high school dance team and loves it. The dancing isn't super challenging for her, but she has made great friends and loves being more a part of her school. I'm so glad she's able to do both.
hsealover

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
DD goes to an extremely small studio, its more of a company than anything, and since they are so small, they are able to accommodate to almost everyone's schedules. One of the girls she dances with is on her school's dance and pom team. A few of the girls do cheer, gymnastics, volleyball, soccer, basketball, choir, act, or swim and they get along just fine. Not sure she would be so accommodating if there were more of us though! She allows all of our kids to do what they want as long as they maintain a certain level of attendance.

At DD's first studio, which was solely a recreational studio, allowed you to do whatever you wanted. They didn't regulate attendance in any way or put any kind of restrictions on anything, which is probably why their recital was a hot mess. I think its a really great thing for studios to encourage other activities but there should be a regulation on attendance.

DD's second studio allowed you to do any other types of extra curricular activities as long as they weren't dance related. You couldn't go to any other studio for masterclasses, do dance team, etc. They never came right out and said that you couldn't do other things, but they have a really sour attitude towards anyone who even thinks about doing anything else. The SO acts like a high schooler, she'll talk about you behind your back about it, but not to your face. Pretty much everyone on the comp team at that studio has experienced it to some degree. Its a small part of the reason we left, even though DD only does dance and a little bit of acting.

ETA: Only two of our local high schools within a 20 mile radius have a school dance team, and neither of them are very good, so there isn't really a strong desire amongst the girls to be apart of them!
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Our SO has worked around it because we are so small. Not sure if the rule in IL has changed in the last couple years, but it was an IHSA rule that you couldn't compete for a studio and a HS dance team in the same category. DDs HS wasn't serious about competing, so it was not a problem.
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Ours not only allows it, but works around the school's schedules.
dmjrm4

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Our studio practice schedule is way too intense to do both.  My DD dances at studio more than 20 hours per week.  No time for anything else.  Sometimes I'm sad about it but DD is pushing hard to make dance her future after high school, so I let her lead.
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Yes, our studio allows it, and so does the school. (Several of the older dancers that Ktyyyyyy mentioned from her studio are on my daughter's HS song team, and other local school's teams, and we have several girls from our studio on her daughter's HS team...dance is a small, small world) Our studio owner and director work around the various song schedules, and it helps tremendously that song (pom) competitions are over before studio competitions start. That being said, the song coach has put limitations on her dancers that also compete for All-Star studios - that's because it's the same competition season and sometimes, the same competition. 

I think that any studio that doesn't allow it is foolish...they'll find their senior numbers dwindling quickly. My daughter wanted to dance on song (versus a traditional HS dance team) because she wanted a full "traditional" high school experience (which would include sidelining at games). I imagine that other girls feel the same and many would choose song over studio if given an ultimatum. 

That's not to say it's not hard. It is. Song, at least at my dd's school, is intense. Song rehearsals are 10-12 hours a week alone, for only 2 dances (they do a pom and a jazz). Coach expects a LOT - standards are set very high. (It pays off - they are national champions.) Then she's at the studio 2-3 hours in the evening. It can be tough to manage it all, but we've come this far...she's a senior next year. Going all in!
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
I have seen All-Star studios mentioned several times.  I am sorry, but I don't know what these are.  Can anyone fill me in?

dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
I have seen All-Star studios mentioned several times.  I am sorry, but I don't know what these are.  Can anyone fill me in?

Heck, I'm not even sure what "poms" are.
AthleteArtistDancer

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer

All-Stars are usually comp teams w/girls of various ages coming from different schools/towns/cities. At our studio, you could be on your school team and on the All-Star team, which had standard comp categories: Minis/Youth/Jrs/Srs. All-Star teams are really just like a studio team, except All-Star comps often happen in the same winter season as the school team schedule.  NDA/UDA are the big kahunas who sponsor many of these kind of competitions. You can find info on both nda.varsity.com  and uda.varsity.com
AthleteArtistDancer

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988

Heck, I'm not even sure what "poms" are.

*smile*  Pom Poms are colored fluffy things held in your hands. Pom routines demand precision, tight moves, loud "spirit" enthusiasm, kick lines, and often gymnastic tricks are included. Some teams wear the traditional cheerleader-style uniform, others wear more modern costumes.  Here's a pic of our girls at NDA Nationals from a couple years ago.

Attached Images
jpeg Poms.jpg (44.57 KB, 1 views)

Emmie46

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by judie
Our SO has worked around it because we are so small. Not sure if the rule in IL has changed in the last couple years, but it was an IHSA rule that you couldn't compete for a studio and a HS dance team in the same category. DDs HS wasn't serious about competing, so it was not a problem.

I just went to the IHSA rules and you're right. You can complete after the season ends March 31st. . You can also compete in ballet and tap though. Is a Pom team considered a Competition Dance Team or are they two different things?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: