Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Cupcake

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
For those with older dancers planning on careers in dance, or who have children who already dance professionally....

How old was your dancer when they decided that dance was what they wanted to do?
jujusmom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My dancer has been saying this is what she wants to pursue since 7th grade.  We sit down before every season and discuss whether this is something she really wants to keep doing... not going to lie, I would not complain about the money I could save LOL  She's now waiting to hear if she's been accepted into the college programs she has been researching for years.
cram

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My DD17 decided one year ago, but she said she was afraid to say it because family would always ask (including my husband) what 'real' career she would study for. Finally a year ago she said it was what she wants to do. I wish I would have known earlier since it would have helped to make better decisions for her earlier on like sending her to good summer intensives and such, but oh well, she is talented and driven and although it makes me nervous, I know there are many avenues she can take in this performance career.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
12.  When she saw First Position.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
15-16, sophomore year of high school is when she started making the shift.
hopefuldancer17

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DD was finally able to say it out loud at about 16 or so. She trained as though it was always her path, but she was afraid to really say it out loud for a long time.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 

I'm not really sure when it happened. 

She used to run around the house posing saying "I be ballerina!" as a toddler, before she had a single creative movement class.  Does that count? LOL

I remember at 10 that I purposely introduced the difficult life of an artist to her. We looked at NYC apartment prices, dancer salaries and I had a dance teacher who had been a professional talk to her about that (as part of our little research project #onceahomeschooleralwaysahomeschooler). So, it was something in her mind already by then. 

I think she was about 15 when she first realized that she might actually be good enough.  I think my hefty dose of realism plus her place in the proverbial line at her local ballet school had made her think this was something that she'd like to do but something that she wouldn't be able to do.  I admit that it is still amazing that she achieved her goal. Her goal has never been to be the star. She just wanted to dance. 

Lad16

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
DD who is 18 will be starting her BFA in dance this fall expressed her desire to pursue dance probably when she was 12. I think she told her dance teacher at the time before me! That was the year she did her first summer intensive. Her passion has only grown and she is so excited to start this next phase.
dancelivelovelaugh

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #9 
My DD is 14 and has finally talked about wanting to do this professionally beyond the few commercials/ music videos she has done thus far. Most of her hesitation has come from the fact that she thought her Dad wouldn't support her decision. The irony is that he would support anything she truly wants.  I just think he doesn't want her to be a "starving artist."   
I think she needs to decide if she wants commercial dance vs performing arts.  It's not my dream or decision and I'm sure she will find her own path.  

I still wonder if she will choose to attend college and pursue BFA in dance or attend conservatory or just pursue dance career without either.  I think this is the difficult decision, but again, hers to make.

Motherhem

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
My daughter knew at 9 she wanted to go pro. Then at 13 she waivered. She has been wish washy ever since. She loves to dance to I told her keep doing it until she is sure what she wants. Now she is sure she wants a B.F.A. and to dance later.

I think part of the problem was she was afraid she would fail. Knowing the statistics, she knows her chances are slim to be a Prima. But as she improves and as she sees small reinforcements, here and there, it solidifies her decision so far.
hopefuldancer17

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motherhem
Knowing the statistics, she knows her chances are slim to be a Prima.

The reality is that any dancer's chances of being paid a living wage to dance classical ballet are pretty slim, let alone reaching the level of principal or beyond. At this point, my daughter would be thrilled to just get paid to dance. To do what she loves and get paid, too? The dream will have come true.
Motherhem

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldancer17

The reality is that any dancer's chances of being paid a living wage to dance classical ballet are pretty slim, let alone reaching the level of principal or beyond. At this point, my daughter would be thrilled to just get paid to dance. To do what she loves and get paid, too? The dream will have come true.

Too true!! We have had the: If you go pro you will have to work multiple jobs talk AND have a roommate talk
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.