Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
louandgrace

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My DD's (8yo) is doing a ballet solo this season, although DD takes ballet as a combi class, our studio is not particularly known for ballet but SO has decided to put her forward as she thinks she's capable. She's the school's first ballet solo. It's a big deal for her.

So, I have three weeks to get a competition tutu as this was all very last minute and I didn't know she was enrolled in the next comp. SO has some in the studio from end-of-year recitals but they don't fit DD that well so I was wondering if anyone had ever bought a plain one and customised it? I would love some ideas.  I have a background in art so i'll give it a whirl.

Are there any rules when it comes to comp tutu? (we are in UK) What style looks best on an eight year old?

Help gladly appreciated!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We just did a little bit of that for my 17 yo.  Initially we were thinking we'd have to start from scratch but were lucky to be offered one that we could alter.  The plate for the skirt we were able to keep, fortunately, but we removed the trim on the bodice and added a lot of new trim/embellishments to both the bodice and the skirt.  It came out great.   Are you thinking platter or romantic tutu?
louandgrace

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Heidi,
I've looked over previous competitors at our competition and they seem to be pancake styles. You'll have to forgive me as I only barely know the difference in styles of tutu. I'm not sure about platters/ classical. 

She's very, very slim. Her legs are long and very strong from dancing so they look lovely in everything, but her top half is very prominent around the collarbones. What style of top do you think would best disguise her prominent collar bones? Are sleeves an asset or a distraction?
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 

Another source for you might be some of the buy/sell groups for tutus on Facebook. There are a few UK based ones. Look for Ballet Tutus and Dancewear for Sale. 

Also, the costume generally matches the piece. If she is doing original choreography, it's not an issue. But if she is doing something from a known classical ballet, the costume should generally looks at least somewhat like it came from that ballet. Some would require a romantic style tutu, others a platter style. An 8 year old is tiny and would need an appropriately sized platter so it doesn't swallow her whole, especially as she is very slim! 

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I'm sorry.. I initially wrote classical but meant romantic which is the long one.  I edited it.

I'd agree that if your dd is doing a variation of a variation (from a ballet) the first step might be to look at youtube for ideas of what the typical costume looks like.  If it's original choreo then you can go with whatever floats your boat but you might want to do the same just to get some ideas.

I'd also agree that buying something ready made would be easier but it could be more expensive. Maybe take a peek at that option first before taking on the challenge of doing it on your own.  Unless the opportunity to do it yourself is truly appealing to you.  We enjoyed being creative but not everyone would feel the same way, I know.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Heidi's comment/question on whether it's original choreography vs. a variation has me wondering - does it have to be a tutu?

For a classical variation, maybe.  But if it's original choreo, you might be able to get away with embellishing a leotard and maybe adding a simple skirt.  We've gone that route.  Pretty sure for last year's trio, they simply dyed a leo to the color they wanted, and added a semi-transparent skirt of the same color, cut to just above the knee.  They looked beautiful.
louandgrace

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for all your replies, I'm taking everything on board.
I did try the FB groups for costume to no avail. We're in Northern Ireland and it seems people aren't keen to post from the mainland. It also means we can't meet anyone to try a costume on. So few dancers here take ballet that we havent been able to find anything locally.

The choreo is original and SO is really nice and very flexible. She's said we can go for whatever DD wants so long as we run it by her first. 

I'm always up for some creative handiwork and regularly customise DD's tap and modern jazz costumes. Ballet's so strict and I want her to be as "correct" as possible. Respect the art, so to speak! 
Perhaps ordering online is the best thing to do given the fact that we are novices and really clueless as to what style will suit her.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Honestly, I think an eight year old would look pretty absurd in a platter tutu, and really it's better if she waits on a real tutu until she's older and has more experience so it's a special moment.

I'd just get her a basic "kids" tutu costume like this https://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_CG17225C.html?pid=27157&Shop=Style&SID=1148144938

Or like this https://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_CG17215C.html?pid=27151&Shop=Style&SID=1148144938
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
Honestly, I think an eight year old would look pretty absurd in a platter tutu, and really it's better if she waits on a real tutu until she's older and has more experience so it's a special moment.

I'd just get her a basic "kids" tutu costume like this https://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_CG17225C.html?pid=27157&Shop=Style&SID=1148144938

Or like this https://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_CG17215C.html?pid=27151&Shop=Style&SID=1148144938

I totally agree these would be perfect choices. I'm not a fan of platter tutus until they are en pointe. Personally, I would reuse a recital costume if she has any suitable ones.
louandgrace

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Would it look tacky if I bought something basic like this:

http://www.movedancewear.com/tutus_and_skirts_tutus-alegra_basic_kids_camisole_tutu_dress/2533/

and added some applique around the neck and on the skirt? 

Be brutally honest. I'm not easily offended!
wvpointe

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I think embellishing that costume would be perfect for an 8 year old's ballet solo. It is nice and basic, so there is so much you can do with it!
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
That's perfect.  I wouldn't put anything on the skirt, just something on the bodice and a pretty flower or tiara for her hair.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Love it!
brizziemum

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Talk to the teacher about the rules. I know from a UK sewing forum that now seems defunct that the rules are very strict for the uk in regards to sparkles, width of tutu and head pieces. Mostly US and Canadian mums may not be your best bet.They seem to wear socks rather than tights for much later too.
louandgrace

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brizziemum
Talk to the teacher about the rules. I know from a UK sewing forum that now seems defunct that the rules are very strict for the uk in regards to sparkles, width of tutu and head pieces. Mostly US and Canadian mums may not be your best bet.They seem to wear socks rather than tights for much later too.

I'm going to talk to her today as DD has a private this morning. She's already said that we can choose whatever style we want, you're correct about the socks, she will be wearing socks with satin pumps and ribbons.

Thanks again everyone.
ScottishDanceMum

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #16 

Hi Louandgrace

I spend a lot of time on the FB page for Ballet Tutu resale - so much so, I ended up as a moderator.  If you need any help navigating the site or looking, please let me know.

I know there's a lot of talk about tutus on young girls, how platter/pancake tutus are a bit "much".  I agree, however, it's often what is the "done thing" - my daughter is about to start competing for the same age bracket, and at the comps we've visited to observe, every ballet soloist is wearing a pancake tutu.  

Give me a shout if you need anything xx

louandgrace

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishDanceMum

Hi Louandgrace

I spend a lot of time on the FB page for Ballet Tutu resale - so much so, I ended up as a moderator.  If you need any help navigating the site or looking, please let me know.

I know there's a lot of talk about tutus on young girls, how platter/pancake tutus are a bit "much".  I agree, however, it's often what is the "done thing" - my daughter is about to start competing for the same age bracket, and at the comps we've visited to observe, every ballet soloist is wearing a pancake tutu.  

Give me a shout if you need anything xx

That would be great, thank you. We've decided not to customise... maybe we will in the future when we have some more experience. DD has picked a couple for us to order (I think they're very grown up, but she wants to be like the other girls) We'd still be interested in 2nd hand. What's the exact page name and I will search it up?

I'm not currently on a ballet tutu page- just generic solo costumes pages. I've also accidentally joined some that are for freestyle costumes in the past which I really need to unlike as my newsfeed is full of pony cones and feathered headpieces lol.
ScottishDanceMum

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #18 

Anything I can do for you, please give me a shout [smile]   Check out this page on FB - it's all forms of dance costumes, but there's tons of tutus.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1417886585123947/

We have members all over the place - while it's mostly UK, there's a few from the US, Ireland, Australia, Cypress, all over!  So far people are very accommodating about postage abroad (especially to places like Australia, where it's often cheaper to buy costumes and pay postage from the UK than try to source them from their own country).  

I've wandered into the Freestyle Costumes site myself... oh my heavens!  I didn't know what the heck a pony cone was but now I do!  I didn't think that much glitter existed.  

I totally understand your daughter wanting to look like the other girls.  I spend time on the Balletco Forum (more UK based - come check them out too!), and most members seemed to think that pancake tutus weren't necessary for beginners.  But when we saw the calibre of costumes at the competitions here in Scotland, we didn't want to stand out in the wrong way.  I bought a gorgeous navy tutu for £40... and it would have been perfect if my daughter wasn't so tiny.  I didn't realise they were limited in how much you could take them in.  So I sold it, and bought a few very inexpensive ones to fix up.  In the meantime, I found a maker on that site who I adored, and ordered a custom one for my daughter as she's a hard fit... The money I made fixing up the other ones has paid for it.

You can rent them too...  this site has them.  The rental price is for 2 weeks.  It might buy you some time in case you want to get something for later in the year?  

louandgrace

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Oh wow. I love the idea of hiring. I'll be on here all night checking out tutus now. Thanks again!
ScottishDanceMum

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #20 
You can find me at dawnsmail at yahoo dot com [smile]

ScottishDanceMum

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #21 

Quote:
Originally Posted by louandgrace
Oh wow. I love the idea of hiring. I'll be on here all night checking out tutus now. Thanks again!

You are very welcome!  

That's how I ended up moderating there...  I spent so much time there looking at costumes that the owner noticed and recruited me [wink]  I'm now a bit obsessed, I just wish I could sew better (I can embellish, but sewing isn't my strong suit).  

The hire shop has come well recommended by the other forum I'm on - the owner is a member there and has lots of fans.  I think she's saved lots of dancers who've hit a growth spurt and jumped sizes right before competitions.  

If you have an idea about what you're after (preferred colours, budget, etc), you can put a post on the FB group I posted above, looking for a tutu.  People will submit ones they have for sale, and if you see one you like, you can check the measurements and see if it would suit your daughter.  

louandgrace

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Well, just to update, we've went for a very soft little pancake tutu from Revolution. We ordered 4 (Thank heavens for sale!) and the least favourite one on the screen was the very one that was just right for her.

Someone earlier mentioned that a platter would look ridiculous, and yes we didn't even try on a platter, but one of the tutus we ordered had a wider skirt and she couldn't carry it off at all. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Now I'm just left to puzzle over peach or pink socks and shoes [confused] [crazy]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: