Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Lad16

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
We are in the very beginnings of looking at college programs and where and what will be a good fit. Is it very common for dancers to receive scholarship money in your experience/opinion? And is the scholarship based on academic, dance ability or both? (Or is it up to the college?)
Thanks!
LasMa

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
It's completely up to the college, and there is wild variation in merit money given by various colleges.  This thread is from my favorite website about literally everything having to do with college.  There is also a subforum dedicated to dance:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/52133-schools-known-for-good-merit-aid-p106.html 

A couple of other things about cost.  First, while your dancer should certainly apply to one or two safeties (schools where admission is virtually assured AND you could pay the full cost without borrowing), she can also apply to some schools where the sticker prices is relatively higher.  Private schools can be, and sometimes are, far more generous with the merit money than state schools.  My D ended up paying a lot less to attend an expensive private school than she would have to attend a state university.  The private threw all kinds of money at her.  :-)

The other thing is that you'll want to complete the FAFSA when the time comes, in January of senior year.  Schools use this to determine eligibility for need-based aid (student loans, work study, grants), and many schools also use it to determine merit-based aid (scholarships).  Don't think you can't possibly qualify; FAFSA is the gateway to virtually all college money.
Lad16

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you LasMa I will check out that link. I started looking on collegeboard.org also and trying to narrow down by location and size of school, but that list has 88 schools, so going to each of the schools websites and checking out the programs is at least a start. Some actually did say they give scholarship money for dance and or academics. Glad we are starting to look early, right now it is a little overwhelming, all advice is helpful. Thanks again!
LasMa

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
You're very welcome.  I remember how overwhelming it is.  Good luck!
heromom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
My DS graduated from
AMDA-LA. He had a 4.0 in high school and a pretty high ACT score. AMDA didn't offer anything based on academics. He did receive a pretty good talent based scholarship. I do know 1 dancer that graduated with him had a full ride scholarship. AMDA is very expensive. The program is very intense. He and I both feel he has been very prepared for the industry. Most of the faculty are still working in the industry so he graduated with great contacts. Based on his contacts with faculty, within in two weeks of graduation he booked a video with Paula Abdul. He worked with Tyce DiOrio and Michael Rooney. He also was hired for a workshop with NappyTabs. He also was in a show called The Shout. He has been auditioning a lot. He graduated in June so I feel what he gained at AMDA vs the cost is money well spent.

He was also accepted to Pace and OCU. He was offered academic at both and additional talent based at Pace.

Good luck

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: