Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
musicboxdancer

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I am posting this topic here because I am fairly new as a mom of a dancer. My daughter is six and has taken creative movement for two years, one year of pre-ballet and now is in a ballet class.

I wanted to get her into another type of dance class at the same school. Its too late to enroll her in tap, I'd have to wait until next year.
However, the school said they have a creative movement class for kids aged 6 to 10. I said, she already took creative movement when she was 2 and 3.  They said this class is somewhat different, it allows the children to come up with their own choreography to the music. That its not quite the same as the little kids creative movement class.  Is anyone else familiar with this and would it be worthwhile to enroll my daughter in it? Would it enhance her ballet practice at all? I am not a dancer so I really don't know.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
It sounds like an "improv" class.  To answer your questions , I wouldn't tend to believe it is going to enhance her ballet at all, but at her age I wouldn't worry about how much ballet she is taking just yet.  It sounds as though she is progressing and moving along as far as classes, and that this alternative creative movement seems to be age appropriate.  I think at the age of 6 this new class could be fun for her.  She is a bit young for it to all be about serious ballet. You can always research other studios in your area and see what is offered for a 6 year old. 

I would sign her up for the "creative movement".  She may just love it, and if she doesn't she can always drop it.
musicboxdancer

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks so much!
Mitzy

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Sure, I think it would be great for her. My daughter is 17 and wants to dance professionally and still takes improv classes! It's great to try something outside of the structure of ballet.
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I would have her try it out and keep her in the class if she enjoys it.  At this point the main thing is to foster her love of dance.  
musicboxdancer

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
She is actually getting kind of bored with ballet class now, because her favorite teacher does not teach there anymore. So I thought maybe a new type of class would peak her interest again. I don't want her to lose interest in dance and just quit while she is still young. She is already saying "I don't want to do ballet anymore" and acting like she doesn't like ballet class.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
A lot of ballet schools don't start "ballet" classes until 8.  The exercises require a concentration and muscle awareness and control that many kids don't have before age 8 or older.  Without that awareness, control, and appreciation for what the concentrated movements will yield for them as dancers, ballet can be, well, boring at 6.  Creative movement/improv. sounds great to me for a 6-year-old.  I wish  dd 11 had more opportunity for improv.  Thanks for reminding me to keep that in mind as we decide on her training for next year.
Cookmomx3

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
At our studio 6 year olds take 1/2 hour of tap and 1/2 hour of ballet in a combo class. They also had a tap / jazz combo class last year, but I don't think it received much interest as we don't offer it this year. You can also take a hip hop / jazz class. Those are what most kids that age take. The hour long classes of one genre don't begin until 7 or 8 depending on your skill, and just the child itself. My own 6 year old is quite an old soul and has begun everything early. She is currently taking several classes and on company so she is a different example. Oh, and there is also a tumbling class for beginners that 6 year olds take as well!
jeanne4379

Triple Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
It sounds like an improve class to me.  It might be a good thing for her to take.  It'll help her transition from the structure of the ballet class to the fun of dance.  Eventually she will see the connection between the two and have a deeper appreciation for the ballet - and keep her joy of dancing at the same time.  Just a reminder that real ballet is only just beginning for her and most schools still have their dancers in a pre-ballet class at 6, the real course starting at 8.  
musicboxdancer

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I know this is an old post but I wanted to resurrect it to say that I did take the advice about the creative movement class, and my daughter did it last year and loved it. So thanks for the recommendation. She is doing creative dance again this year, along with her regular ballet class.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: