Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
I am cool with no tights when the dance is barefoot. Other wise skin/shoe mismatch looks tacky.

The one shoe trend drives me insane.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by judie
I am cool with no tights when the dance is barefoot. Other wise skin/shoe mismatch looks tacky. The one shoe trend drives me insane.

This weekend, I saw a dancer with a shoe (half-sole) on 1 foot and a dance paw on the other foot!  She did that for her solo and also in a group dance where the other dancers were wearing half-soles on both feet.  Made me long for just one shoe!!
renmars21

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #28 
We've seen this at every competition this season where kids were wearing bra tops, tiny tiny briefs in all areas and no tights. For me, it was very hard to watch especially with straddle jumps and tilts in the mix. Our studio is on the conservative side. My DD12 has a 2 piece costume for her jazz solo but its a long sleeve crop top and high waisted bootie shorts and tights. She is tall with long legs and beautiful lines. While I'm not saying it's right for everyone, it works for her and us as her parents.

Edited for spelling[smile].
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancedaughters

My daughter is wearing a leotard for her solo costume this year and no tights - first time for her.  The norm for her studio is to always wear tights, but it is much easier to keep the leo in place without tights, and we've had no problems.  IMO the wardrobe failures look pretty bad even if the dancer is wearing tights.  So for me, tights are not the issue, nor are they the solution to a costume that rides up.  The solution is to keep the costume in place.

I just read an article on fb from a comp judge and she said she wished all dancers wore tights. They are usually sitting below the stage looking up at dancers and she has seen way too many things she did not want to see lol. She said if you insist on no tights then talk to dancers about waxing and placements of tilts and extentions.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsealover
I actually really like the way the no tights trend looks(its more natural imo), but only if the costume fits appropriately and the dancer uses stick it to keep it in place. If your costume isn't very stable, get a new costume or wear tights!

Unfortunately, I see lots of dancers who do not know how to use stick or tape. Or maybe they don't care? But when I am watching you dance, I want to focus on your performance. I do not want to be cringing, seeing your butt cheeks or thinking about your wax job.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
The no tights thing has not taken off here. In fact a few of our competitions have the "no tights, no dance" rule.
elastigal

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #32 
At the comp we were at this weekend I found it very distracting seeing the clear straps from bras - they shine when the lighhts hit them and you can't help but notice them, it was especially annoying when the costume was designed as halter style. A trend I liked seeing was boy cut leos under skirting, when the girls extended a leg you didn't see anything, with or without tights. The one thing that drove me nuts was a few times I saw tags sticking up from the backs of costumes.
dave9988

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
It's all context. . .

My daughter's costume was tiny, a small sports bra top and low cut briefs that she wore without tights and we bought it small so it didn't cover as much of her belly as if we'd gotten a larger size (but she's got a tiny butt and waist).  But the top had lace over one shoulder and there was a short lace skirt attached to the briefs, making it a sweet and pretty costume.

[Girls-Ladies-Modern-Dress-2-Pieces-Latin-Dress-Lace-Overlay-Camisole-Top-and-Skirts-Lyrical-Performance] 
So, not a lot of fabric but totally appropriate for any dancer who can pull off a two piece no matter the age.  I don't know if I've really ever seen a lyrical or ballet costume (assuming that it fit) that I thought was inappropriate (although I'm sure someone could find me one. . . .).

A lot of Jazz and Hip Hop costumes however combined with the choreography (boob and butt shaking) are inappropriate even if they cover more skin.  It's not about the amount of skin it's about weather the look the dance implies is age appropriate.

This is gorgeous!

dave9988

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCKDAD
Whenever we don't wear tights we have to wear some sort of undergarment.... always "double layer" is the rule. Lol

Good rule!

Personally I do not like "no tights" unless accompanied with shorts and/or a skirt.  Besides the danger, I find myself wondering why the dancers are so anxious to get to the swimming pool.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: