Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Billpayer2000

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Just returned from a comp and I can never recall seeing so much skin ever in the under 12 ages. Think sequined bikini tops and bikini bottoms (booty shorts would have been conservative). I'm not a "clutches pearls" type of person, but I've been to shows in vegas where there costumes had more fabric. I get wanting to see the lines, technique, etc ... but most of this costuming didn't add to the dance. We compete only a couple of times per year and was curious as to what other people were seeing and opinions as to how Much skin is too much for children?
rubydancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Our studio follows YPAD guidelines. However, a few of the competitions we've been to this season had some girls pretty much dancing in sequined or stoned bikinis. It was so much so that the judges started making comments to our girls in the tapes about how they appreciated the age-appropriate costuming. There was a mini group a couple weeks ago that shocked me. 
HTownDanceMom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
We are definitely seeing more of the barely there costumes too and are also hearing more of the appreciative comments about costumes being age appropriate.  One of our dancers competed in a "extra" comp last weekend and her mother was telling us how there was one child that looked to be no older than 12 yo in what seemed very similar to a thong...talk about being shocked!
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I will add that I don't like the nude costumes that appear to cover someone only with strategically placed appliques. 
hsealover

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
I will add that I don't like the nude costumes that appear to cover someone only with strategically placed appliques. 

I have such a love/hate relationship with costumes like that. They are absolutely gorgeous(most times) but they show a bit too much skin for me.
Billpayer2000

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I actually couldn't watch anymore. It has me questioning if our conservative studio should even continue to attend competitions. I don't want to hand over money to organizations that normalize this behavior.

4 years ago when we started competing, it seemed to be the exception to have revealing costumes, now it is the norm.

Are there even competitions that are YPAD certified?
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
The two piece, barely there trend has been around here for years, nothing new.  Nude costuming is a huge trend for sure and sometimes they can be carried out well enough with appliques and such that it doesn't bother me too much.  But those very popular crotch shots to the front in nude briefs or leos...highly disturbing!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 

@Billpayer2000, love your screen name!

I don't think there are any YPAD certified competitions yet. YPAD is certainly growing and maybe that will happen some day. They do have a FB page that I think is open for anyone to join. Would be a nice topic of discussion. 

It's interesting how immune you can become to this. My dd has been in the dance world for quite some time, I danced and we had cousins who danced in between myself and my dd's eras. I've seen the changes over the years. OTOH, my sister had not and it was a shock to her to see as much skin as there is today and how small some of the costumes have become, compared to even 10 years ago. 

minidancem0m

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
My daughter is one of the little ones in the tiny stoned outfits. She does a lot of acro and you can see her movements better in a two piece. Judges have complimented her costume at every competition she's been to. I don't let her go out of the house normally the way she dresses at dance. I think it's different there!

They're not wearing any less than most kids do at a pool. I totally understand that some people are not comfortable with it. My daughter has friends who's moms won't let them wear two pieces. I don't shame them for not letting them do it and they don't shame me for letting my daughter do it. To each their own. If you don't want your kid to wear a two piece, don't put them in one. If you're competing in any of the major competitions you have to expect to see it though.
Billpayer2000

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by minidancem0m
My daughter is one of the little ones in the tiny stoned outfits. She does a lot of acro and you can see her movements better in a two piece. Judges have complimented her costume at every competition she's been to. I don't let her go out of the house normally the way she dresses at dance. I think it's different there!

They're not wearing any less than most kids do at a pool. I totally understand that some people are not comfortable with it. My daughter has friends who's moms won't let them wear two pieces. I don't shame them for not letting them do it and they don't shame me for letting my daughter do it. To each their own. If you don't want your kid to wear a two piece, don't put them in one. If you're competing in any of the major competitions you have to expect to see it though.

I get it when it serves a purpose and Adds to the artistic value. Acro is one of those times and so is swimming. MHO...5&6 year-olds twerking to "who let the dogs out" while wearing a stoned bikini and thigh-high socks doesn't hold much artistic value. I'm not exaggerating. It couldn't be unseen.
NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Yes that ^^^

Sometimes the smaller costumes although two piece are tasteful and serve purpose... and a lot of times it depends on how they are moving and tonwhat song too. also comfort to the dancer/ one of our petites can't stand the feeling of things high on her waist - her solo costumes are fairly small because she's most comfortable in that. . On the flip side my 11 year old wasn't comfortable in a 2 piece costume until last year. She had worn them for a few dances but always requested a one piece for her solo and they were happy to oblige. I'm thrilled with the two piece costumes at the rate she's growing. In fact her duo costume is a one piece and she grew so much from fitting to arrival that it was almost two short. And... she just shot up another inch in a month/// she almost had a little cheek showing this last weekend. We're crossing our fingers they don't have to change costumes mid season.

The costume should be an extension of the dance. It should make sense.
amandafarris03

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I can't help but get scared when tightless dancers are dancing.  I feel every time they do something we are going to see something hanging out.
Billpayer2000

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandafarris03
I can't help but get scared when tightless dancers are dancing.  I feel every time they do something we are going to see something hanging out.

Especially when the dancer is not using "stick it" to keep the costume in place.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Not sure I understand the advantages of wearing a two piece costume for acro. Gymnasts, both rhythmic and artistic, wear full coverage leotards, no?
golightly1118

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I have to say, costuming was a factor in my decision to let DD do competitions next year. Our studio tends to lean conservative with costumes. Last year at recital, I only saw one two piece outfit and it was on a group of older teens. Even then it was tasteful (pink sequined crop top with long black pants). I'm not too worried about the SO putting my kid onstage in something over the top. The fact that I live in a conservative area also makes a difference.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
It's all context. . .

My daughter's costume was tiny, a small sports bra top and low cut briefs that she wore without tights and we bought it small so it didn't cover as much of her belly as if we'd gotten a larger size (but she's got a tiny butt and waist).  But the top had lace over one shoulder and there was a short lace skirt attached to the briefs, making it a sweet and pretty costume.

[Girls-Ladies-Modern-Dress-2-Pieces-Latin-Dress-Lace-Overlay-Camisole-Top-and-Skirts-Lyrical-Performance] 
So, not a lot of fabric but totally appropriate for any dancer who can pull off a two piece no matter the age.  I don't know if I've really ever seen a lyrical or ballet costume (assuming that it fit) that I thought was inappropriate (although I'm sure someone could find me one. . . .).

A lot of Jazz and Hip Hop costumes however combined with the choreography (boob and butt shaking) are inappropriate even if they cover more skin.  It's not about the amount of skin it's about weather the look the dance implies is age appropriate.
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandafarris03

My daughter is wearing a leotard for her solo costume this year and no tights - first time for her.  The norm for her studio is to always wear tights, but it is much easier to keep the leo in place without tights, and we've had no problems.  IMO the wardrobe failures look pretty bad even if the dancer is wearing tights.  So for me, tights are not the issue, nor are they the solution to a costume that rides up.  The solution is to keep the costume in place.
Billpayer2000

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
It's all context. . .

My daughter's costume was tiny, a small sports bra top and low cut briefs that she wore without tights and we bought it small so it didn't cover as much of her belly as if we'd gotten a larger size (but she's got a tiny butt and waist).  But the top had lace over one shoulder and there was a short lace skirt attached to the briefs, making it a sweet and pretty costume.

[Girls-Ladies-Modern-Dress-2-Pieces-Latin-Dress-Lace-Overlay-Camisole-Top-and-Skirts-Lyrical-Performance] 
So, not a lot of fabric but totally appropriate for any dancer who can pull off a two piece no matter the age.  I don't know if I've really ever seen a lyrical or ballet costume (assuming that it fit) that I thought was inappropriate (although I'm sure someone could find me one. . . .).

A lot of Jazz and Hip Hop costumes however combined with the choreography (boob and butt shaking) are inappropriate even if they cover more skin.  It's not about the amount of skin it's about weather the look the dance implies is age appropriate.

All of that...and that costume is lovely!
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Where I live if any costume is too provocative or suggestive in a 12 and under division, or if any steps were that way inclied those groups would place last.

A lot,of the costumes and dance routines I see from US comps would just not even be allowed to compete. Like thatngirating shoulders move so many of the little ones do. I have never once seen that done in our competitons in Australia.
NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Whenever we don't wear tights we have to wear some sort of undergarment.... always "double layer" is the rule. Lol
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpayer2000
All of that...and that costume is lovely!

It was $25 with shipping (we got it in light purple)!  Makes it even better. 
hsealover

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #22 
I actually really like the way the no tights trend looks(its more natural imo), but only if the costume fits appropriately and the dancer uses stick it to keep it in place. If your costume isn't very stable, get a new costume or wear tights!
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsealover
I actually really like the way the no tights trend looks(its more natural imo), but only if the costume fits appropriately and the dancer uses stick it to keep it in place. If your costume isn't very stable, get a new costume or wear tights!

I agree.  Caramel colored tights are great if you have caramel colored legs.  If not they look pretty absurd.  If you do away with tights then everyone has legs that are their own skin color. 
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
I prefer the look of no tights. It looks more natural. This year, the majority of dd's dances are done barefoot, so tights aren't an option any way, unless they're footless, and that really breaks the line in my opinion.
hsealover

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktyyyyyyy
I prefer the look of no tights. It looks more natural. This year, the majority of dd's dances are done barefoot, so tights aren't an option any way, unless they're footless, and that really breaks the line in my opinion.

Totally agree, I hate the look of footless or stirrup tights! I can handle pink(ballet) tights, fishnets, and black tights(but I'm picky about the costumes these go with), but I seriously despise tan/caramel/"skin colored" tights. Unfortunately, DD's studio has to wear them. She doesn't like them either.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: