Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Dancenl

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My daughter just got her modern dance costume. Link posted below. We really aren't liking it ....Everytime she moves it rises up and the skirt comes down. The skirt has a double layer of tulle in it so it's pretty puffy and looks more like a tutu then a lyrical type skirt and isn't flowy. Should I cut out the tulle, the top layer is like a mesh. It would be pretty see through cause it's a lite color but does that matter? U can see through with the tulle anyways. What do u guys think?

https://www.weissmans.com/lyrical/7658-clearance.aspx?position=40
DanceForFun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Do you feel like it fits correctly?  COuld this be why the skirt is rising up?
prancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #3 
Pretty costume, but if it rises (I’m guessing the top) and falls (I’m quessing the bottoms), it’s probably too big right now. You could alter it by taking in the waist and lower band on the top, even with just a small fold in the material that you could let out if she grows.

The skirt is not meant to flow. I’ve seen it on stage. I think yes you could cut out the stiff under skirt, and that might help. I think you could also consider cutting it to a high low shape, so it is less obtrusive. Good luck!
Motherhem

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
If prancer is right about the top and bottom, I think I would take the waistband of the skirt in. Unless the top rises too high (which to me would mean it is too small), I would leave it alone.
Dancenl

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #5 
The top rises, that part is to big and the skirt seems like it fits good but it falls. She's doing alot of arms up and leaps so it's going to happen. I was thinking if I got a nude body suit and sewed it or velcroed it to it, it might help. She tried I today for her teacher and the teacher loves that it's puffy. I hate the puff lol. It looks very ballet. I'm going to get a steamer TMR and try to soften the tulle. She said she wants to leave the tulle and not cut it so that's not an option. Only thing I can do is try to deflate the puffiness! 🤣. Has anyone ever tried to soften the tulle??
Motherhem

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Never softened one but often we get costumes that are very wrinkled. And to straighten them we turn them upside down, steam them and to keep them straight we spray them with hairspray one layer at a time. That takes some of the fluff out.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.