Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Noel

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
We are transitioning from the USASF all star world to traditional studio world... last Spring there was a panic as USASF informed owners that they must only use cover songs or songs untouched, unedited, unless edited for length, but that the overall song must be left intact (in other words you couldn't swap the middle for the intro and end with the beginning).

How does this work in the studio based world? Please understand I am operating as a total novice parent in this regard. Assume I know nothing about this (because for the most part I don't). I'm curious as to how things work as people are asking about purchasing and cutting music. At first glance it would appear there is a little more room to be creative here in "studio" based?
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I have no idea how the rights are, but many of my DDs songs are remixes of more than one piece. The production number has about 5 different songs put together. 
czmcdaniel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
We just came from USASF coming back to dance - technically there is no "governing body" of dance so aside from time lengths (usually dictated by competition) and being "clean" there are no music restrictions I am aware of....
Good Luck!
Noel

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
CZMCdaniel, I would love to hear about how you made the transition from USASF to dance. Were you in cheer or dance in all star ? Forgive me if that is too nosy, but it would be nice to hear about someone else's experience too. Thank you for replying !
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Most studios pay annual fees to the 2 major music licensing companies which covers just about everything they normally do based on the fee they pay. 

Dd danced to a hip hop piece one year that must have had 12 or more songs remixed into it. 
Noel

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Curious as to whether or not the information I was given was incorrect... I was told that it is a breech of copyright to mix one artist's work with another. The example I was given was something like, how do you think Taylor Swift's management would fee about having her work cut with Kanye West's. Even if you pay the ASCAP etc. that you could not do that. I'm asking because I am a serious music nut and it was disappointing to think that something I find so interesting and creative would have to be curtailed. I understand, the law is the law, but I just love when people take existing music and spin it into something even more beautiful or exciting... I'm hoping that maybe the studio world will continue to be able to be more free from those restrictions.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I think you will find that there just aren't that many restrictions on music at dance comps. I'm not sure the music police is stalking comps waiting to bust people. And the organizers themselves have zero rules except time limits.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #8 
My understanding is that you pay your fee to the governing bodies and then you can use any music that is in that catalogue.  You can cut it however you like as long as all the music is covered under the fee.
dave9988

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel
Curious as to whether or not the information I was given was incorrect... I was told that it is a breech of copyright to mix one artist's work with another. The example I was given was something like, how do you think Taylor Swift's management would fee about having her work cut with Kanye West's. Even if you pay the ASCAP etc. that you could not do that. I'm asking because I am a serious music nut and it was disappointing to think that something I find so interesting and creative would have to be curtailed. I understand, the law is the law, but I just love when people take existing music and spin it into something even more beautiful or exciting... I'm hoping that maybe the studio world will continue to be able to be more free from those restrictions.

There are many different license options.  The ASCAP "Dance School" option covers music for teaching, so I imagine studios purchase that to cover their classes & maybe recital.  I don't see in the text of that contract anything about cutting/editing/mixing.

I don't know if competitions fall into the "dance school" bucket or not.  But my guess would be that as the organizer/operator of the event, they'd be liable for violations, and so presumably they also purchase licenses from the various organizations.
czmcdaniel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel
CZMCdaniel, I would love to hear about how you made the transition from USASF to dance. Were you in cheer or dance in all star ? Forgive me if that is too nosy, but it would be nice to hear about someone else's experience too. Thank you for replying !

When Dancing Daughter was 7 - there was a major fallout at her studio involving some legal trouble that we just didn't want to be around anymore.  There was a cheer gym about 30 minutes away that a friend's daughter was on a few teams, and they did private tumbling lessons.  DD wasn't ready to commit to a new studio - the through of dancing not with her friends killed her, so I took her there for some tumbling just to keep her active.  She joined their prep team program (Mom couldn't make the commitment for the 30 min one way drive 3 times a week plus 6-10 comps a year!) and she stayed on that team for 2 years ( a little sad b/c it was only a L1 team so she couldn't really use most of her tumbling skills but had fun)  Last year, her coach also happened to be a dance teacher at a studio near our house.  The two of them worked out a dance solo for her and they had a great time....dance was always her passion and the solos made it clear that's where she needed to be - so back we went!  
Noel

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I love to hear that it all worked out... and I love hearing that it took some time and patience. I think I need to slow down and let things unfold a little bit. My first instinct was to immerse DD in a new environment, trying to find the right environment, but maybe it's just going to take time. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
dad_of_four

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 

I recall seeing a bill at our DD's studio from either BMI or ASCAP.
It was about $1000 per year, and covered all copyright/performance/editing issues.
The Comps never ask for anything, but I imagine they also pay a fee to play the songs

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: