Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Looking for conventions that do not have a solo portion or competition attached; straight up dance workshops only. Any suggestions? Looking for Florida area.
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Because some moms at our studio were confused, I wanted to make sure you knew that your dancer can attend almost any convention and not compete. Of course you might be looking for something else entirely. One option might include watching for master class advertisements at nearby studios as these often have an open registration.
dancedream

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Titans is the first one that comes to my mind. Not sure if they go to Florida or not.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you, Prancer I did not know that! Excellent.

Thank you, dancedream. Just for anyone else's sake, Titans does come to Orlando, but DD can't make the one day they are here.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
What about Revel? As far as I know they are convention only. We have not done them yet, but may this fall, as they are coming to our area.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Revel looks promising. Thank you, Becca's Mom. Are you in FL too? (forgive me if I've forgotten)
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
No, I'm in NJ (although I did live in FL for 3 years from 2001-2004).
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Does she want the competitive aspect of conventions (audition portion ect. . . ) or does she just want the experience with master teachers?  If it's just the second you'd be better off keeping track of local studios that do master classes with outside teachers (ones that are too far away for a daily class but are driveable).  That would be a better learning experience and would also be better for networking than to go to a convention with hundreds of other dancers.  I'm in Central NJ and our studio always has ours open to non-students and the class sizes are very small you can PM me if you want info (unless you already know it [tongue] ).
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
meatball77 your studio is so far away [frown] but I will PM you if we ever do a road trip [wink]

And yes, she's after the second experience, not the competition.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
We did Revel. They do have a competition section. DD, who is a tapper, enjoyed all the classes except tap. She said the teacher's style didn't mesh with hers. She liked all the other classes, and liked that there was plenty of room to move around because they have ATTENDANCE CAPS!!! So, unlike BTF, she actually had interactions with and corrections from the teachers. 
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsmom
We did Revel. They do have a competition section. DD, who is a tapper, enjoyed all the classes except tap. She said the teacher's style didn't mesh with hers. She liked all the other classes, and liked that there was plenty of room to move around because they have ATTENDANCE CAPS!!! So, unlike BTF, she actually had interactions with and corrections from the teachers. 

I think the ones in the summer and fall are convention only, after January they have both comp and convention (at least that's what it looks like from their website). 
breaktf

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsmom

Hi rdsmom! I just wanted to respond in regards to attendance caps and personal interaction. It's very easy for a first year convention to say they cap attendance. I'm not so sure that's the case, or that it will remain that way. Yes, some (not all) of our cities are large. We do eventually cut-off registration in certain ballrooms. It depends on the capacity chart of the venue (fire code) as well as a formula we have for how many dancers we think can comfortably fit in a room. Obviously,"comfortable" is subjective. And honestly, some venues with the exact same size/dancer ratio, seem better or worse than others depending on ceiling height, dance bags, observers, etc. Trust me, it's not great for some people to think (again, only in some cities) that we are crowded.  I know the common response to convention capacity is to just cap attendance. There are a ton of reasons as to why it's not as simple as that. I would be happy to talk with you on the phone about it, so I can thoroughly explain where I am coming from. I am free all day today: 818-432-1234 ext. 130.

Also, I am sorry to hear that you don't feel we have any personal interaction. Your daughter is a tapper, which means she has probably taken class with Mike Minery at Jump, or Anthony Morigerato at Nuvo. Honestly, I have never seen them NOT get off the stage and personally interact and give corrections to dancers in their class. If that was not your experience, I really apologize. We really do our best to try to interact personally with as many dancers as possible and it's something I constantly remind our faculty to do. Obviously, some faculty are better than others with that.

Again, I am sorry to hear your experience with us wasn't great. Please call me today, I would love to talk with you more in depth.  

Have a great day,

Gil (owner of Break The Floor)

Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Sorry Gil buy your conventions are way too crowded.  We only attended once but that was enough.  I decided not to go back when Mia Michaels gave a big speech in my daughters room about hating Seattle because all the dancers there are lazy.  Maybe she was having a bad day but it was pretty nasty and the kids didn't deserve that.

Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
We attended Revel this past season and it was by far our favorite convention ever.  It was pretty small but I suspect it will be crowded in the next few years as they gain more popularity.  It was really nice of the owner to come introduce himself to parents and thank them for their business.  I highly recommend this convention.

Only one thing about Revel left me scratching my head and it was more about the parents.  Revel had studios nominate a few dancers to act as "Pro Revelers" basically teaching assistants.  My daughter applied and was accepted and she absolutely loved it.  Because she was a Pro Reveler she competed her solo for adjudication only which to me was fair.  Not long ago, my daughter got an invite to participate as a Pro Reveler again but in the paperwork it stated that because of parent feedback, Pro Revelers were no longer able to compete their solos.  I just wonder why parents would take issue with a handful of kids competing their solos for adjudication only.  It did not affect their kids in any way.  They were not included in the overalls and were ineligible for scholarships. It maybe added 20 or 30 minutes to the competition but it was pretty small and didn't drag out until super late anyway.  My daughter did it just to get her solo up on a stage as their convention was the very first event of the season.  But, I still think that Revel is the best out there and am looking forward to sending my daughter again.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
JulieG the only explanation I can come up with is that the parents are taking an issue that they really have with their own studios up with Revel. I could imagine if the old 'studio' we attended went to Revel... I know exactly who they would recommend for the pro reveler spots. Those kids are favored and promoted and catered to in an incredibly overt and obnoxious manner by the SO. So many hurt feelings on the part of the dancers and their parents (but the parents never leave, they just stay year after year rolling their eyes and complaining among themselves). So, to make a long story short: the SO recommends the same "stars" all the time; the "stars" get to be pros and perform and the complainer's kids are sick of it. So... the complainers complain to the promoter. It doesn't have to make sense, but I can easily see that happening. People don't make a lot of sense when their feelings are hurt, certainly not when they are feeling slighted.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julieg
Sorry Gil buy your conventions are way too crowded.  We only attended once but that was enough.  I decided not to go back when Mia Michaels gave a big speech in my daughters room about hating Seattle because all the dancers there are lazy.  Maybe she was having a bad day but it was pretty nasty and the kids didn't deserve that.

I have to agree.  I agree that it will vary by venue, though.  In Denver, the seniors are in such a tiny room that it is almost impossible to move...even when they break up into small groups.  At other conventions, by the time the kids make it to the senior room, there is room to really dance with some depth because the senior group is usually a smaller group.  Not so at Jump.  Your teachers have to have told you what it's like there.  When kids are getting kicked in the face over and over again, something should be done.  Someone is going to be seriously hurt soon.  I have heard more than one time from a variety of kids, "I hope we never have to go back there."  Seriously, it's time to change venues.  Your teachers are great.  Give the kids a fighting chance to learn from them.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
We've done 24/Seven, JUMP, NUVO, NYCDA ... they can be crowded, especially depending on the city and venue.  But have found them all to be worthwhile, with NYCDA and NUVO probably two of our favorites.

For what it's worth, I find *not* competing somewhat advantageous.  The days are long, it's nice to be able to finish by 3pm or whatever and not have to worry about scrambling into comp mode, then staying up late - with a 8am class the next morning.  Heck, you aren't forced to audition, either.  It's great practice, but it's not like your dancer is forced into any audition, comp, or even class.  Most of the teachers do try to interact before or after class, but all are limited to some extent by time.  

The biggest problem we have is tap, because our studio does not offer it.  Some teachers start with basics, then get more advanced.  So at least our dancers get a few concepts before getting left in the dust!  And I do understand that they'll eventually get dusted, otherwise experienced tappers would be bored out of their skulls.  We're OK with that, but it would be nice if that didn't happen in the first 5 minutes of the first class.   Last year there was one teacher whot started out by demo'ing a tough tap combo and then spent the next 20 minutes asking individual dancers to demonstrate how close they could get.  That portion was really a waste of time, as most dancers flat out crashed and burned, not even close.  I think he broke it down a bit the second session, but quite frankly he'd lost some kids by then.

All in all, my dancers generally walk away uplifted by these conventions.  

meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I've always thought (and I'm sure it couldn't' happen logistically) that they should have tap for all ages (or at least the older kids) at the same time and everyone could sort based on skill.  So the kids who don't take tap can take a class that focuses on dealing with basics/softshoe and the kids that are tappers can have a great class.

We lucked out at ASH this year, the tap class was first thing in the morning so my daughter just slept through it.  Otherwise I was going to tell her to go to the Senior room and take contemporary during Tap.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by breaktf

Hi rdsmom! I just wanted to respond in regards to attendance caps and personal interaction. It's very easy for a first year convention to say they cap attendance. I'm not so sure that's the case, or that it will remain that way. Yes, some (not all) of our cities are large. We do eventually cut-off registration in certain ballrooms. It depends on the capacity chart of the venue (fire code) as well as a formula we have for how many dancers we think can comfortably fit in a room. Obviously,"comfortable" is subjective. And honestly, some venues with the exact same size/dancer ratio, seem better or worse than others depending on ceiling height, dance bags, observers, etc. Trust me, it's not great for some people to think (again, only in some cities) that we are crowded.  I know the common response to convention capacity is to just cap attendance. There are a ton of reasons as to why it's not as simple as that. I would be happy to talk with you on the phone about it, so I can thoroughly explain where I am coming from. I am free all day today: 818-432-1234 ext. 130.

Also, I am sorry to hear that you don't feel we have any personal interaction. Your daughter is a tapper, which means she has probably taken class with Mike Minery at Jump, or Anthony Morigerato at Nuvo. Honestly, I have never seen them NOT get off the stage and personally interact and give corrections to dancers in their class. If that was not your experience, I really apologize. We really do our best to try to interact personally with as many dancers as possible and it's something I constantly remind our faculty to do. Obviously, some faculty are better than others with that.

Again, I am sorry to hear your experience with us wasn't great. Please call me today, I would love to talk with you more in depth.  

Have a great day,

Gil (owner of Break The Floor)

Hi Gil,

I applaud you for taking the time to reply here. It does mean a lot to us moms. But I do have to challenge your assertion that you take the floor space, fire codes, etc. into consideration. I have tried to use my observer band to get into a class more than once. Completely impossible. My dancer couldn't even fully extend her arms or legs during classes. Not a staff member got near her to even know if she needed a correction or if she existed. And those classes were less than an hour. Some of those dancers also were scheduled to compete until past midnight and be up for classes at 8:00 am. I get what your business model is, draw the top dancers, draw the SYTYCD dancers who may or may not have teaching skills, reward dancers with that nebulous "shout out" and invitations yet encourage those who don't have a snowballs chance to pay to attend, get shoved in like a sardine and fund your groovy lifestyle. Yep, your model is totally working for you now. But I can tell you that there are others out there that are challenging your model. They limit class sizes. They stop competition at 10:00pm. They offer classes in a genre over an hour. They are small now. But they also have attendees who leave happy, even if they didn't get a shout out with sprinkles. And yes, my kid is a tapper mostly. But she studies it all. She has seen Mike and Anthony across a carpeted ballroom. But she also goes to our areas con to take classes with Chris, Denise, Gregg, Avi and Ofer. There she is in a college dance studio with a proper floor, with plenty of room to move. She gets meaningful interactions with instructors. Instructors who can actually show that they care about what the dancers are doing. She also gets to interact with other dancers who share her passion without worrying about a competition later. Gil, your model will last because there are so many parents willing to fund their kids "shot". And they have been told your way is the only way. So enjoy stuffing kids into ballrooms with crappy floors. Reward those hoppers who travel to multiple cities to do a similar combo. You probably will have an endless line of hopefuls. Too bad that actual dance is not an assembly line.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
I've always thought (and I'm sure it couldn't' happen logistically) that they should have tap for all ages (or at least the older kids) at the same time and everyone could sort based on skill.  So the kids who don't take tap can take a class that focuses on dealing with basics/softshoe and the kids that are tappers can have a great class.

We lucked out at ASH this year, the tap class was first thing in the morning so my daughter just slept through it.  Otherwise I was going to tell her to go to the Senior room and take contemporary during Tap.

Oh, I love this!  We generally do push our dancers to attend all convention classes.  Partially because (1) sometimes they have great fun in tap even when dancing in socks (and I've seen a tap instructor call "all socks dancers" to the center to demo - they owned it, did their best, and had fun) and (2) because if it already "post audition" time, perhaps they are checking attendance before announcing the winners (depending on convention & methodology).

breaktf

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzit42
Hi Gil, I applaud you for taking the time to reply here. It does mean a lot to us moms. But I do have to challenge your assertion that you take the floor space, fire codes, etc. into consideration. I have tried to use my observer band to get into a class more than once. Completely impossible. My dancer couldn't even fully extend her arms or legs during classes. Not a staff member got near her to even know if she needed a correction or if she existed. And those classes were less than an hour. Some of those dancers also were scheduled to compete until past midnight and be up for classes at 8:00 am. I get what your business model is, draw the top dancers, draw the SYTYCD dancers who may or may not have teaching skills, reward dancers with that nebulous "shout out" and invitations yet encourage those who don't have a snowballs chance to pay to attend, get shoved in like a sardine and fund your groovy lifestyle. Yep, your model is totally working for you now. But I can tell you that there are others out there that are challenging your model. They limit class sizes. They stop competition at 10:00pm. They offer classes in a genre over an hour. They are small now. But they also have attendees who leave happy, even if they didn't get a shout out with sprinkles. And yes, my kid is a tapper mostly. But she studies it all. She has seen Mike and Anthony across a carpeted ballroom. But she also goes to our areas con to take classes with Chris, Denise, Gregg, Avi and Ofer. There she is in a college dance studio with a proper floor, with plenty of room to move. She gets meaningful interactions with instructors. Instructors who can actually show that they care about what the dancers are doing. She also gets to interact with other dancers who share her passion without worrying about a competition later. Gil, your model will last because there are so many parents willing to fund their kids "shot". And they have been told your way is the only way. So enjoy stuffing kids into ballrooms with crappy floors. Reward those hoppers who travel to multiple cities to do a similar combo. You probably will have an endless line of hopefuls. Too bad that actual dance is not an assembly line.

Hi again. First, let me say, I appreciate your honesty and have no problem responding. Of course, I am never happy when people walk away from my event feeling they didn't have a good experience. As most business owners can probably attest, it personally feels awful to have even ONE person feeling unsatisfied with your company. If you knew me personally, you would know I don't take for granted the fact that we are the largest dance conventions right now. I realize that can change quickly. I DO agree with you that in some cities we are more crowded than I would like. However, I do disagree with many things you said. 

-- We DO take the fire code and capacities at every venue very seriously. It is the FIRST thing we look at when determining how many dancers we can accept. We have NEVER been shut down by a Fire Marshall in 16 years. Twice only, we have had to pause a ballroom to do an actual count of the dancers and observers. They did the count, and we were within the capacity and continued. Regardless... I understand that this is dance. Just being within capacity isn't good enough. Obviously, we would like to provide the best possible dance space for kids to move. You are correct... we don't always achieve that.

--I could go on and on about why capping attendance or capping observer bands isn't as easy as "Why don't they just cap attendance!???" I will illustrate one example of what happens.... STUDIO RED sends out their comp schedule to their parents in August. They decide to attend JUMP in Atlanta in May and then The Dance Awards in Las Vegas. The studio is in Alabama, 3+ hours away from Atlanta. Many parents decide to put in a day off of work. Parents make reservations at the hotel in Atlanta. Parents must do this WAY before 30 days prior, as the hotels sell out quickly in most cities. To save money, many parents do Advanced Purchase where there is no refund. Many parents book through an online outlet, where refunds are almost impossible. Some hotels also require a non-refundable deposit. The SO also decides to charter a bus. She can't wait until 30 days before because most charter companies need to be booked more in advance and certainly to get a better rate. Our registration deadline is 30 days before the event. Studio Owner tries to collect the money from her 80 dancers. That's not always easy. Finally, the SO probably only gets 80% of the fees, but knows she has to register 30 days prior because Jump is well-attended in Atlanta. The SO goes online to register, before the deadline, but quickly finds out Jump is SOLD OUT in Atlanta! Sorry STUDIO RED! Sorry families. Sorry SO who will take an enormous amount of flack for "not registering on time," which of course she did. Now what about Nationals? They were planning on attending Nationals. They were pre-qualifying their routines at JUMP. They already have flights, hotels in Las Vegas, time-off work. But even if they DID qualify at Jump Atlanta, who's to say The Dance Awards won't be capped before the registration deadline? Do we turn away Studio Red 35 days before they are leaving for their trip to Las Vegas? So... this DID happen to me. At JUMP Atlanta. My second year in business. It was a NIGHTMARE. I was threatened with lawsuits from the SO and parents until I refunded their Charter Bus deposit and hotel rooms that were unable to be refunded. Obviously... the SO was furious with me, it hurt her business, made her look disorganized to her parents, and she will never attend my events again. My point is - it's never that cut and dry of just "turn them away."

--Look... I understand your argument. I really do. I have been doing this for a long time and have heard every rebuttal to the above story. "Have studios leave a deposit," "That's tough luck, events sell out all the time," "They just have to register earlier Gil," etc etc. I don't want to write a novel here haha, but I am more than happy to get on the phone with anyone and talk about this more in depth. I'm not just a greedy idiot trying to live my "groovy lifestyle" haha. I understand the long-term effect of things. It is very difficult weighing accepting another studio to a city that will then make it crowded or turning them away.

--The biggest issue I have is how you are describing the clientele that DO come to my events and like them. To make it seem like they are only people who are looking for their kids' "shot" or "sprinkles" is insulting to the overwhelming majority of people that attend. If you are aware of most of our clientele and the clientele of The Dance Awards, these are some of the best, most well-respected dance studios in the USA and Canada. Studios that have been training legit dancers for YEARS. To make it seem like BTF caters mainly to convention hoppers and Independents is unfair and incorrect. BTF is also one of the few organizations that don't have a "company" and invite their scholarship kids to a ton of cities. We actually LIMIT the number of cities our scholarship kids can go to. Again... I understand and respect your opinion. And I DO agree that we can do a better job, always. But to imply that somehow we mainly attract independent fame-seekers is just false. 

--I also feel it's extremely unfair to compare BTF to very new conventions. I had a new Convention Director attack BTF on another board for having over 2,000 people at our event in Las Vegas. You would probably say: Wow, isn't it nice this new convention capped their attendance. They stopped comp at 10. The classes were so small the teachers even knew the kids' name! I would say: That convention is full of it. They don't need to worry about capping attendance. VERY easy to say they capped it at 400 when only 400 people registered. Also... I would argue that the overwhelming majority of people left The Dance Awards very pleased. These are some of the best studios, who continually come back.

Like I said earlier, I understand your opinion and do agree with you that we can do a better job. My only disagreement is some of your characterizations of myself, my "assembly line" business model and some of our clients. I get it... you don't like the BTF experience. I respect and understand that. But I hope you also respect the opinions of the overwhelming majority of amazing dancers and dance studios that DO feel they get a lot out of BTF events. 

I do not think that our way "is the only way." First, there are other conventions out there that I respect tremendously (NYCDA, for one). Ballet schools, Performing Arts Schools and even not attending conventions at all, are all great paths that produce great dancers. Ultimately, I believe the best training is NOT at a dance convention. Most times, it is consistent training at your home studio that trains the best dancers. I just hope, and believe, that BTF provides motivation and inspiration to the majority of dancers that come. I know that is not your experience, and I truly feel bad about that. 

Again, thank you for your honest feedback. I would be happy to talk to you, or anyone else on the phone at any time. Just Private Message me your phone number and i will call anyone back within 24 hours.

Have a great day everyone,

Gil
dkaplan128

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by breaktf

Hi again. First, let me say, I appreciate your honesty and have no problem responding. Of course, I am never happy when people walk away from my event feeling they didn't have a good experience. As most business owners can probably attest, it personally feels awful to have even ONE person feeling unsatisfied with your company. If you knew me personally, you would know I don't take for granted the fact that we are the largest dance conventions right now. I realize that can change quickly. I DO agree with you that in some cities we are more crowded than I would like. However, I do disagree with many things you said. 

-- We DO take the fire code and capacities at every venue very seriously. It is the FIRST thing we look at when determining how many dancers we can accept. We have NEVER been shut down by a Fire Marshall in 16 years. Twice only, we have had to pause a ballroom to do an actual count of the dancers and observers. They did the count, and we were within the capacity and continued. Regardless... I understand that this is dance. Just being within capacity isn't good enough. Obviously, we would like to provide the best possible dance space for kids to move. You are correct... we don't always achieve that.

--I could go on and on about why capping attendance or capping observer bands isn't as easy as "Why don't they just cap attendance!???" I will illustrate one example of what happens.... STUDIO RED sends out their comp schedule to their parents in August. They decide to attend JUMP in Atlanta in May and then The Dance Awards in Las Vegas. The studio is in Alabama, 3+ hours away from Atlanta. Many parents decide to put in a day off of work. Parents make reservations at the hotel in Atlanta. Parents must do this WAY before 30 days prior, as the hotels sell out quickly in most cities. To save money, many parents do Advanced Purchase where there is no refund. Many parents book through an online outlet, where refunds are almost impossible. Some hotels also require a non-refundable deposit. The SO also decides to charter a bus. She can't wait until 30 days before because most charter companies need to be booked more in advance and certainly to get a better rate. Our registration deadline is 30 days before the event. Studio Owner tries to collect the money from her 80 dancers. That's not always easy. Finally, the SO probably only gets 80% of the fees, but knows she has to register 30 days prior because Jump is well-attended in Atlanta. The SO goes online to register, before the deadline, but quickly finds out Jump is SOLD OUT in Atlanta! Sorry STUDIO RED! Sorry families. Sorry SO who will take an enormous amount of flack for "not registering on time," which of course she did. Now what about Nationals? They were planning on attending Nationals. They were pre-qualifying their routines at JUMP. They already have flights, hotels in Las Vegas, time-off work. But even if they DID qualify at Jump Atlanta, who's to say The Dance Awards won't be capped before the registration deadline? Do we turn away Studio Red 35 days before they are leaving for their trip to Las Vegas? So... this DID happen to me. At JUMP Atlanta. My second year in business. It was a NIGHTMARE. I was threatened with lawsuits from the SO and parents until I refunded their Charter Bus deposit and hotel rooms that were unable to be refunded. Obviously... the SO was furious with me, it hurt her business, made her look disorganized to her parents, and she will never attend my events again. My point is - it's never that cut and dry of just "turn them away."

--Look... I understand your argument. I really do. I have been doing this for a long time and have heard every rebuttal to the above story. "Have studios leave a deposit," "That's tough luck, events sell out all the time," "They just have to register earlier Gil," etc etc. I don't want to write a novel here haha, but I am more than happy to get on the phone with anyone and talk about this more in depth. I'm not just a greedy idiot trying to live my "groovy lifestyle" haha. I understand the long-term effect of things. It is very difficult weighing accepting another studio to a city that will then make it crowded or turning them away.

--The biggest issue I have is how you are describing the clientele that DO come to my events and like them. To make it seem like they are only people who are looking for their kids' "shot" or "sprinkles" is insulting to the overwhelming majority of people that attend. If you are aware of most of our clientele and the clientele of The Dance Awards, these are some of the best, most well-respected dance studios in the USA and Canada. Studios that have been training legit dancers for YEARS. To make it seem like BTF caters mainly to convention hoppers and Independents is unfair and incorrect. BTF is also one of the few organizations that don't have a "company" and invite their scholarship kids to a ton of cities. We actually LIMIT the number of cities our scholarship kids can go to. Again... I understand and respect your opinion. And I DO agree that we can do a better job, always. But to imply that somehow we mainly attract independent fame-seekers is just false. 

--I also feel it's extremely unfair to compare BTF to very new conventions. I had a new Convention Director attack BTF on another board for having over 2,000 people at our event in Las Vegas. You would probably say: Wow, isn't it nice this new convention capped their attendance. They stopped comp at 10. The classes were so small the teachers even knew the kids' name! I would say: That convention is full of it. They don't need to worry about capping attendance. VERY easy to say they capped it at 400 when only 400 people registered. Also... I would argue that the overwhelming majority of people left The Dance Awards very pleased. These are some of the best studios, who continually come back.

Like I said earlier, I understand your opinion and do agree with you that we can do a better job. My only disagreement is some of your characterizations of myself, my "assembly line" business model and some of our clients. I get it... you don't like the BTF experience. I respect and understand that. But I hope you also respect the opinions of the overwhelming majority of amazing dancers and dance studios that DO feel they get a lot out of BTF events. 

I do not think that our way "is the only way." First, there are other conventions out there that I respect tremendously (NYCDA, for one). Ballet schools, Performing Arts Schools and even not attending conventions at all, are all great paths that produce great dancers. Ultimately, I believe the best training is NOT at a dance convention. Most times, it is consistent training at your home studio that trains the best dancers. I just hope, and believe, that BTF provides motivation and inspiration to the majority of dancers that come. I know that is not your experience, and I truly feel bad about that. 

Again, thank you for your honest feedback. I would be happy to talk to you, or anyone else on the phone at any time. Just Private Message me your phone number and i will call anyone back within 24 hours.

Have a great day everyone,

Gil

I have to hand it to you Gil for coming here and explaining your POV. This is not always an easy board and just coming here and explaining the logistics takes some serious balls lol. 
We've been very happy in general with BTF and I've been pretty vocal about that here. Have we been in crowded ballrooms with not enough space? Sure (we go to Meadowlands after all). But I will say for my DD and the people we know who attend a lot of BTF events, the advantages have far outweighed any of the shortfalls.
As far as the faculty goes and claims here that they aren't paying attention to the kids, giving corrections, etc, I have to disagree with that too. My DD doesn't belong to a big studio she goes by herself from her ballet studio, she didn't know one choreographer before starting out at BTF. We go to a few BTF events a year, not dozens.  She's ended up getting lots of attention, corrections, praise, etc through hard work and perseverance. Are some choreographers better than others at teaching and watching those kids they don't know? Absolutely. Are there choreographers whose classes my DD does not enjoy in the least? Yup. Again, for us the good has outweighed the bad. 
My DD just graduated and will be going to college as a BFA Dance major. She will not be able to devote the time she has in the past to BTF but she absolutely plans on going back when she can. For us, it's been an amazing experience but I know it's not for everyone.
Again, as a parent, I appreciate the response.

breaktf

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaplan128

I have to hand it to you Gil for coming here and explaining your POV. This is not always an easy board and just coming here and explaining the logistics takes some serious balls lol. 
We've been very happy in general with BTF and I've been pretty vocal about that here. Have we been in crowded ballrooms with not enough space? Sure (we go to Meadowlands after all). But I will say for my DD and the people we know who attend a lot of BTF events, the advantages have far outweighed any of the shortfalls.
As far as the faculty goes and claims here that they aren't paying attention to the kids, giving corrections, etc, I have to disagree with that too. My DD doesn't belong to a big studio she goes by herself from her ballet studio, she didn't know one choreographer before starting out at BTF. We go to a few BTF events a year, not dozens.  She's ended up getting lots of attention, corrections, praise, etc through hard work and perseverance. Are some choreographers better than others at teaching and watching those kids they don't know? Absolutely. Are there choreographers whose classes my DD does not enjoy in the least? Yup. Again, for us the good has outweighed the bad. 
My DD just graduated and will be going to college as a BFA Dance major. She will not be able to devote the time she has in the past to BTF but she absolutely plans on going back when she can. For us, it's been an amazing experience but I know it's not for everyone.
Again, as a parent, I appreciate the response.

Hi dkaplan128! Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate your support over the years as well. Best of luck to your daughter in College!
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julieg
We attended Revel this past season and it was by far our favorite convention ever.  It was pretty small but I suspect it will be crowded in the next few years as they gain more popularity.  It was really nice of the owner to come introduce himself to parents and thank them for their business.  I highly recommend this convention.

Only one thing about Revel left me scratching my head and it was more about the parents.  Revel had studios nominate a few dancers to act as "Pro Revelers" basically teaching assistants.  My daughter applied and was accepted and she absolutely loved it.  Because she was a Pro Reveler she competed her solo for adjudication only which to me was fair.  Not long ago, my daughter got an invite to participate as a Pro Reveler again but in the paperwork it stated that because of parent feedback, Pro Revelers were no longer able to compete their solos.  I just wonder why parents would take issue with a handful of kids competing their solos for adjudication only.  It did not affect their kids in any way.  They were not included in the overalls and were ineligible for scholarships. It maybe added 20 or 30 minutes to the competition but it was pretty small and didn't drag out until super late anyway.  My daughter did it just to get her solo up on a stage as their convention was the very first event of the season.  But, I still think that Revel is the best out there and am looking forward to sending my daughter again.

Really? Our Revel was the beginning of May, and the 2 Pro Revelers from our studio competed their solos for adjudication only. Did your Revel happen after May? 
CCHNG

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #25 
For what it's worth, we attended TDA this year in Orlando for the first time, naively not knowing the cache and everything else that comes with BTF, so our DD could dance her first (ever!) solo as part of The Best Dancer program. DD didn't have any shot at placing, and we went alone without our studio with us, but it was hands down the best run, most worthwhile convention/ competition experience we have had. There was plenty of room, and the more experienced dancers easily found space by not crunching up front near the stage. Even if she doesn't qualify at regionals for Best Dancer, we'll be back again to TDA. We're looking to take her to the other two conventions this year that our studio doesn't attend because the teaching was just that good. Also, the kids in all the optional classes were focused, and being able to come together with so many other dancers that are just as committed to what she does was encouraging and inspirational for DD. In an optional Modern class with Francisco Gella, there were easily 250 dancers in the room, and you could have heard a pin drop. No one was chatting on the sides. Every student was fully engaged. Every student was given the chance to dance full out, and Gella kept giving corrections to dancers that were clearly at varied levels. I can't speak for anyone else, but it just hasn't been our experience that BTF has been anything other than excellent. If you're looking to attend a convention just for the convention portion, I'd suggest any of the Jump/ 24/7 or Nuvo conventions. Good luck scheduling for this year!!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.