Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
We are looking for a SI that focuses on contemporary or modern.  My dd does not intend to be a ballerina and most SIs seem to focus on classical ballet.  Any ideas for such intensives or places to look for a list?  Thank you.  
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
What length of program is she looking for and how old is she?
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
5678StarMom:  My daughter is 14.  She has not been away to an intensive yet.  We are fairly open on length, but I was thinking a max of three weeks for her first time.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
UArts in Philadelphia and Koresh also in Philadelphia  have 2/3 week programs. Ailey and NYU in NYC, but they are longer and maybe for an older dancer.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
The Lines Ballet program in SF is amazing.  It is ballet, but very contemporary.  A girl from dd's former studio had a full scholarship for her second year there.  She loved it.  You should at least look at the website.

https://www.linesballet.org/
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
The Lines program looks amazing. They've been on our radar for years. It's just the whole west coast travel/costs that have been an issue.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Lots of kids I know have gone here and like it.  It is only 10 days, which might be a good starter.  http://snowyrangedance.com/WELCOME
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Depending on what you are looking for, I’d highly recommend Missouri Contemporary Ballet in Columbia MO. They are small and offer lots of personal attention. It’s gotten more competitive to get into. It’s a 2 week August program with host housing available. DD15 has been picking her 5 week intensives to end before it begins she loves it so much!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 

In addition to those listed, there's also Hubbard Street's SI. One of dd's ballet friends was transitioning out of ballet into contemporary and spoke very positively about the program.  They have several 1 and 2 week sessions as well as a 4 week session.

Of course, Joffrey Ballet School in NYC has several contemporary based SIs in various locations around the country. I believe these are shorter programs as well. 

About LINES, it seems that everyone comes back and says it was "life changing." Doesn't matter how old they are or if they are focused on ballet, modern, contemporary or anything in particular. 

ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

In addition to those listed, there's also Hubbard Street's SI. One of dd's ballet friends was transitioning out of ballet into contemporary and spoke very positively about the program.  They have several 1 and 2 week sessions as well as a 4 week session.

Of course, Joffrey Ballet School in NYC has several contemporary based SIs in various locations around the country. I believe these are shorter programs as well. 

About LINES, it seems that everyone comes back and says it was "life changing." Doesn't matter how old they are or if they are focused on ballet, modern, contemporary or anything in particular. 

I forgot about Hubbard Street and yes!! about Lines. It's is one of the harder SI's to get into, especially at 15 or 16 and up, but I've never heard anything bad about it.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I've heard amazing things about this program if you want to come to Montreal Canada.

http://www.edcm.ca/en/professional-program/summer-school
threegirlpileup

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
My dd had a great experience this summer at ADF (American Dance Festival) in Durham, NC (our hometown, lucky for us, but people travel from all over).  They are most famous for their 6-week summer program for older dancers, but there is also a 3-week school for 13-17 yo dancers.  The program includes modern (lots of it) plus ballet, African, and Hip-Hop.  The teachers were very impressive, and the experience working on and performing the modern repertory piece (worked on daily for the 3 weeks) was seriously a peak life/dance experience for my dd.  It is a very intense program--even as a commuter, my dd was often there from 8:30 am until after 10 pm (ADF is a performance festival, so one of the other cool things about it is they get to attend all of the performances, which is basically a who's who of modern dance).

My dd was a commuter but I was really impressed by the dorm counselors, who are all dancers and take class with the students!
threegirlpileup

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptoemom
UArts in Philadelphia and Koresh also in Philadelphia  have 2/3 week programs. Ailey and NYU in NYC, but they are longer and maybe for an older dancer.

Ailey has a "junior" program that I think is three weeks.  I'm not sure how old you have to be to stay in the dorms, though....
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Thanks for the great information.  I'm definitely new to this, so I appreciate the suggestions.  
dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
DD attended Joffrey's jazz and contemporary west program in southern california this summer. She loved every second of it. She only attended one week but wishes she had attended 2 weeks so she could have been in the final performance. Highly recommend!!
Lolalove

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #16 
My daughter attended Backhaus Summer Intensive at Chapman University and loved it.  1-3 wk sessions.  Mostly modern with some ballet. You can see sample daily schedules on their site.  Very well organized, professional and great communication with parents.  You can see many pics on their Instagram page too.  http://www.backhausdance.org/intensives/
Oh and the city of Orange where the campus is located is so cute and felt like a small town tucked inside Los Angles.  
mom2ztl

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #17 
My daughter attended the NW Dance Project's summer intensive.  She highly recommends it! It's only four weeks but definitely an "intense" intensive.

http://nwdanceproject.org/projects-intensives/summer-dance-intensive/

And I've only heard good things about Hubbard street - definitely worth looking into.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.