Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
dance010

Avatar / Picture

High Bronze Member
Registered:
Posts: 45
Reply with quote  #1 
So DD and I came to the conclusion that we were going to do a French twist in her hair for her contemporary solo. Tonight I was practicing doing it on her hair because dress rehearsal is next saturday. I dont know if it is the shape of my DD's head, or just the hairstyle itself, It kind of makes her head look like its a weird shape because of the hair being pulled over the twist itself (if that makes any sense at all). She wanted something different for her solo hair, and was sure on the french twist, now I'm not sure if it looks the best on her. Any other ideas for contemporary solo hairstyles that are more unique than just a high bun or low bun? Anyone ever done any french braided hairstyles for Comp hair? How does it look onstage? Any thoughts?

TIA! [smile]
0
Taffygirl

High Bronze Member
Registered:
Posts: 29
Reply with quote  #2 
French twist is beautiful, but braids that go to the back and wrap would also be pretty. We've also seen sleek, low ponies at the comps we've been to this year.
0
jwsqrdplus2

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,866
Reply with quote  #3 
If you can french braid, check out videos on the waterfall braid.  Ash wore a waterfall braid to a low pony or bun for a couple of years for her solo.  There is just enough difference from a full french braid to be unique, but most people will not catch what is different!

ETA: this year she is in the sleek (closer to middle than low) pony crowd for her contemporary solo.
0
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 324
Reply with quote  #4 
The older girls at our studio have done the french braided bun for most of their dances.  This year Jess' team is using the french braided bun for everything except hiphop.  I've got to practice getting it done quickly.  I learned how to french braid when I was in high school but I don't do it quickly.
0
Beccasmom

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,796
Reply with quote  #5 
Last year dd did something with braids for Nationals. She had 2 solos last year, the first being Ease on Down the Road. Of course, she wanted "Dorothy" braids for that, but there wasn't a lot of time in between that and her contemporary solo. So we took the 2 braids, made them into a low pony, then wrapped that into a bun. You can see how it looks on stage here:



We've also done a lace braid into a low pony:
No automatic alt text available.

Or a bun with the braid wrapped around:
No automatic alt text available.

There's a website called Cute Girls Hairstyles that may give you some ideas too.
0
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,471
Reply with quote  #6 
This weekend, we were the only studio at the comp without braids. Every single other dancer on stage had some sort of braided hairstyle, they all looked fine onstage.
0
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,935
Reply with quote  #7 
Braids were very popular at our first comp this year.
0
dance010

Avatar / Picture

High Bronze Member
Registered:
Posts: 45
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom2two
The older girls at our studio have done the french braided bun for most of their dances.  This year Jess' team is using the french braided bun for everything except hiphop.  I've got to practice getting it done quickly.  I learned how to french braid when I was in high school but I don't do it quickly.


I think I might be very naive, but can you explain the french braided bun? Is it a french braid into a low bun? French braid into a high bun?
0
dance010

Avatar / Picture

High Bronze Member
Registered:
Posts: 45
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccasmom
Last year dd did something with braids for Nationals. She had 2 solos last year, the first being Ease on Down the Road. Of course, she wanted "Dorothy" braids for that, but there wasn't a lot of time in between that and her contemporary solo. So we took the 2 braids, made them into a low pony, then wrapped that into a bun. You can see how it looks on stage here:



We've also done a lace braid into a low pony:
No automatic alt text available.

Or a bun with the braid wrapped around:
No automatic alt text available.

There's a website called Cute Girls Hairstyles that may give you some ideas too.


Your DD's dance is beautiful! Love the hair ideas, thank you. 
0
Beccasmom

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,796
Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks, and you're welcome! [smile]
0
ccdcmomlisa`

Avatar / Picture

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 526
Reply with quote  #11 
I've seen a ton of french braids into a bun on stage at the two competitions we've been to this year. I love it. Our company style this year is a high bun with a braid around it.Like the pic above. DD pulls her hair back into a low pony and then folds under for her contemporary solo. Hard to explain but it is sleek and looks nice I think. For her contemporary group dance they do a low pony. I'm not a hair person so I'm not good at explaining! LOL
0
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,073
Reply with quote  #12 
There was a very popular braid-style around here last year that made everyone's head look really wide.  While it was neat and probably stayed in place through a long day, it was not flattering on most kids.  Cool maybe, but not flattering.  
0
Midge

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,025
Reply with quote  #13 
kmpmom, do you have a picture of the style?   My whole family has my long thin face, anything that adds width is a good thing!
0
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,073
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge
kmpmom, do you have a picture of the style?   My whole family has my long thin face, anything that adds width is a good thing!


Sorry, no.  If you look at the picture of the woman at the top of this screen, grab all that hair that you can see and make two braids from it - one on each side of the head, then pin the braid along the hairline, under the ears, and join it at the back.  
0
BCdancemom

Avatar / Picture

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 194
Reply with quote  #15 
We are trying the Dutch flower braid for dd13 lyrical solo [smile]
0
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,520
Reply with quote  #16 
I saw lots of braids for S/D/T this year. DD17 does French braids into a low bun for her trio. I really like this trend, very pretty. I'm just happy our studio is over the donut bun and messy high pony.
0
armydancemom

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 174
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom


Sorry, no.  If you look at the picture of the woman at the top of this screen, grab all that hair that you can see and make two braids from it - one on each side of the head, then pin the braid along the hairline, under the ears, and join it at the back.  

Did you mean something like this? My dd calls them goodesss cornrows.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5f/c9/6d/5fc96d4a65db7e943c2f3484128a7a0c.jpg
0
JojosDanceMom

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,292
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by armydancemom
Did you mean something like this? My dd calls them goodesss cornrows. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5f/c9/6d/5fc96d4a65db7e943c2f3484128a7a0c.jpg


Is that your DD?  She's beautiful... my DD would be very envious of those perfect eyebrows.  LOL
0
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 324
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dance010


I think I might be very naive, but can you explain the french braided bun? Is it a french braid into a low bun? French braid into a high bun?

This is the picture our studio shows us; the girl has a youtube video showing how to do it.  We tie the braids off into a ponytail once all the hair is incorporated and then use a doughnut to roll the bun.

Image result for celebrity french braided bun
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: