Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
DD15 is looking for music for a contemporary solo that isn't dark or depressing or sinister.  She likes to smile in her dances and doesn't do as well with the intense serious solos.  But, she still wants to do contemporary.  My DD and I have been looking for music but not having any luck so I thought HEY! - I would ask my DanceMom friends!  [smile]  Maybe you can help with the brain cloud!

On a happier note I just had to share this picture we got back yesterday.  One of DD15's teachers knows Chris O'Reilly (photographer) and every year she asks a few of our dancers if they want to participate in a photo shoot.  The shoot only costs us $10 but of course it costs more if you order any of the pictures!  I only bought 2 because they are expensive and this was her favorite one.
May29_02.jpg 

jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We have one choreographer who really likes to use upbeat songs for Sr Cont groups.  2 years ago, we used Heroes by Alesso:

And last year, we used Every Teardrop is a Waterfall (called the dance Waterfalls) by Coldplay:

Both were very well received, placing in the Top 5 every time they hit the stage.  Personally, I think it was because they were upbeat songs and well choreographed/executed dances!

Same choreographer went for another upbeat song and uplifting dance this year as well, but I don't know the name of the song.

PS...great picture!
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Love the picture...absolutely beautiful!

I absolutely love "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" by Sleeping at Last.

Or the Symponicities version by Sting

dancer1234

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 

Beautiful picture, you should be proud.
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
One of our choreographers prefers to use instrumental pieces for contemporary, and for those, it's all in how you interpret it. There is plenty of piano/strings music out there that has a happy vibe, and depending on what they decide is the "story" of the piece, it could certainly be something smiley [smile]
AtTheStudio

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Personally I think almost any song can work for contemporary, provided you have the right arrangement. Pick a song you like (not love unless you want to risk hating it from hearing over and over) and see if you can find an acoustic version of it. 
trumpets123

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
its awesome!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: