Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
kyrical2

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My daughter, 15, has a contemporary solo with jazz elements.  We'll be entering it as contemporary. Her costume is a burgundy leotard.  Should we bling it, or are rhinestones over the top for contemporary at this age?
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Do you have a picture of the costume?
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
You do not need stones for contemporary at that age.  If you want to add some shimmer, I would pick a dark colored stone that basically blends with the fabric, and I would and follow an existing line in the leo (e.g. on the neckline, around a keyhole opening, etc.).
kyrical2

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I don't know how to add a picture, but here's a link: https://www.patrickjdesign.com/collections/leotards/products/runway-leotard?variant=40596729294
threegirlpileup

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I would not bling that.  It looks great as is and is not really asking for anything else. 
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I don't think I'd add any stones to that either.  If I did, maybe a little something on the collar but that would be it.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
What do your daughter and her choreographer want? It also depends on the song and the mood of the song. There really is no yes or no to this. A costume should complement and add to the dance without overwhelming the dance and make the dancer feel awesome.
rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
My DD is 12, wearing a biketard without bling for contemporary. I also would not bling that leotard. We had a jazz group dance last year that wore something similar, also without bling. We saw many teen+ without bling. 
kyrical2

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #9 
You all are saving me time and money!  Thank you [smile]
Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
My daughter wore a Patrick J costume last season and didn't bling it at all.  They are really nice quality pieces.  If you haven't already ordered you'd better get going because they take a long time to deliver.  But, they are worth the wait.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I love the leotard and also love it as a contemporary costume!  I don't think I'd touch it, even though am an old schooler and still really love some bling! 

I think its perfect for a senior contemporary number just the way it is.

Best of luck to your DD this season!
kyrical2

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Thank you all!
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Instincts say no but depends on song...
dancemom0987

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #14 
That's a great costume and will look great onstage! What's the song? I personally wouldn't add any bling unless the song really needs it. I might be biased though because my DD likes the simple costumes.
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I agree this is a pretty leo.  I don't think it needs anything, but I thought I would share that I have seen this leo blinged in an interesting way before.  The leo had been stoned in the small rectangle of nude fabric in a light colored (maybe crystal ab) stone. Of course this made the stripe more noticeable (kind of moved it from negative space to a feature), but it was a strong design.  
PastrySugar

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I love it!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.