Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Now that more and more typical comp kids are going to yagp and other ballet competitions, I wonder if the music has become more typical of what is heard at regular comps?  Or is it still the more obscure stuff?

It's now been decided that dd will be doing some ballet comps this year starting with yagp but rather than starting afresh she was considering reworking one of her contemp solos from her independent comp days.  The style is fine... not super compy... but she's concerned the music might not be quite right. Can anyone share what they've heard in the last year or so?  TIA
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Definitely still a bit more obscure for the most part from what I've seen, but I only watched certain dancers on line for the last two years or so, so a very tiny sample size. 
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My daughter was the only dancer we saw at YAGP last year (in Boston) who danced to a song with lyrics (and the only one with a large amount of midriff).  Her contemporary scored higher than we expected.  It was mostly that horrific "contemporary" music which doesn't have a melody (although some wasn't the stuff I hate).

It is very location specific though.  The contemporary that we saw in Austin (three years ago) was much different than what we saw in Seattle which was much different than what we saw in Boston.  I think as long as the solo shows their ability to dance and connect with the music the specific style doesn't matter. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 

It's funny that you mention the bare midriff, Meatball.  Dd had specifically said that she would not want to wear either of the two piece costumes she wore for these pieces... thought she would stick out like a sore thumb.

I do think the Heart Cry choreo from two years ago would work fine but am really questioning the music.  Bitter Earth from last year... again, the choreo is great but thinking if she used it maybe it would be better to use an instrumental version.  Dd is torn on both but really isn't interested in learning a whole new piece.  There's just too much going on as it is without adding that on her plate.  Decisions, decisions. 

karenc

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I was in ATL this past season & watched the majority of the senior contemporary.  I don't recall a single one that had song lyrics but the styles of dance varied a lot.  Some were very theatrical, others were lyrical pieces to classical music.  I also don't remember any bare midriffs.  Most of the girls performed in a leo and quite a few did their comp piece on pointe, including the Grand Prix winner. 
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
There were a couple with longer tops with a bit of midriff but my daughter was the only one in a bra top and skirted briefs (she didn't mind sticking out, and her scores were much better than we expected for her contemporary so obviously being different didn't hurt her).
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
What I have heard are what I might call "Modern Instrumental" pieces. (Think Forsyth).

Costumes are usually interesting leos, no tights--designed to showcase the dancer's body and particularly the leg muscles. 

At regionals we saw everything under the sun as "contemporary"-- Quirky pointe pieces to jazzy music, pieces on flat, full on jazz pieces. At Finals it is a modern instrumental piece in a leo either on flat or on pointe.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.