Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
About 3 years ago we discovered DD14 had a fairly significant vision problem in her right eye.  Seems her left had been compensating and in her terms, she could see "just fine". But cover up that left eye and she was effectively blinded.  

Anyway, got her glasses, she never wears them, I keep asking if she can see at school/dance, etc and she said "I see just fine" until this summer. 

Took her to eye doctor yesterday and yup, that overworked left eye is now starting to show the strain so it's time for new glasses/contacts.  We ordered daily use soft contacts (they walked her through putting them in and out and she had zero issues) and they spent a lot of time ensuring the shape was right because her eyes are quite "flat" apparently.

So this will be her first season of dance/school with contacts.  Tonight, in fact, she's going to try 4 hours of dance with the contacts in.  

Is there any advice I should give her (other than don't rub your eyes)?  The last thing I will say to her is going to be, "if you have to take it out, wash your hands first" because her hands will have been on the studio floor before that.

I'm really curious to see what difference this might make for her, especially in school.  I think all these years she fooled herself into thinking she could see perfectly, but now knows that she really wasn't seeing things all that well at all.  
dancer1234

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
not sure there is anything else you can tell her outside of what the Doctors staff would have done.    To start with my DD always too a case, contact solution and glasses with her until she got use to contacts..

I think one thing I remind her would be be careful around hairspray and glitter, when doing shows... My DD always covers her eyes when we do her hair or goes outside when everyone is going crazy with hairspray.

She will probably be much happier having contacts and they become an extension of her and will be like a 2nd nature to take care of them and her eyes.

kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I hadn't thought about hairspray - thanks for that! I think it was a real shock to her yesterday to really "see" for the first time in a long time.  I mean, how does someone judge how well they're seeing if they've never seen "well" before?  
novadancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
DD16 has had contacts since she was 12! Yes, definitely make sure she has a case with her and solution. The first couple months, her eyes may not like having them in all day. When she comes home from school, she might want to take them out and use glasses until it's time to go to dance, to give her eyes some rest. Find the solution that works for her eyes! I compare it to pointe shoes! LOL. DD used one that kept irritating her eyes until we switched and found the one she likes. Make sure to not switch the contacts as in putting the contact you had in your left eye in your right eye the next day, left for left and right for right. That's basically it! Good luck! 
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by novadancemom
DD16 has had contacts since she was 12! Yes, definitely make sure she has a case with her and solution. The first couple months, her eyes may not like having them in all day. When she comes home from school, she might want to take them out and use glasses until it's time to go to dance, to give her eyes some rest. Find the solution that works for her eyes! I compare it to pointe shoes! LOL. DD used one that kept irritating her eyes until we switched and found the one she likes. Make sure to not switch the contacts as in putting the contact you had in your left eye in your right eye the next day, left for left and right for right. That's basically it! Good luck! 

Thanks for the info!  Interesting about the different solutions.  DD said her eye was "itching" last night.  Perhaps the solution they used at the Optometrist yesterday, or the one they gave her to bring home, it's exactly right for her.  Will try a few.  Thanks for that.

btw, she's only wearing one contact.  One eye is severely blurred and the other is (newly) only slightly off (0.25).
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DD13 started wearing contacts this past May, and oh, what a difference for the girl!  She LOVES wearing contacts, even though she's ripped 2 so far (grrr).  She loves being able to see the audience, or the mirror if she's in the back row, as she did not like wearing her glasses to dance.  I think it just gives her confidence!  I hope your DD enjoys it equally as much.

I did buy a travel size bottle of solution and an extra lens case for the makeup case in the Dream Duffel.  She also brought her glasses and case to recital and will do the same for next year's competitions, just in case her eyes get irritated.
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Contact safe eye drops, long days can make your eyes very dry even without contacts!!!
dancedancedance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Don't really have anything to add other than that kudos on getting daily use contacts! I have worn contacts for years and now never have to worry about ripping a contact or getting 'buildup' on the lenses. Plus, as a teenager I was never responsible with my contacts and didn't clean them often enough/switch them out often enough etc. so daily lenses would have been amazing back then! The one thing to add is don't have her make the mistake of wearing them overnight - I just find when I have done that out of necessity (stuck traveling, etc.) my eyes were always really dry. Of course the lenses are made for exactly that....1 day, not sleeping! 
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I wore contacts back in the day before daily use ones were available.  Starting wearing them at 14.  By 18/19 years old I was an old pro but got neglectful of cleaning them every night for many reasons.  Anyway, I developed a severe eye infection that actually ulcerated my eye and that was the end of contacts for me.  Make sure she only wears clean lenses and if she notices any redness in the eye get it checked out ASAP.  I let my infection go so long that I couldn't see at all out of that eye by the time I went to the doctor and the damage was done.  Since then it is only glasses and it sucks.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Thank you everyone!  I shared your responses with DD and she sends her thanks too!  She wore them for about 11 hours yesterday, including 3 hours of dance.  She keeps commenting on how "sharp" everything is and said at dance last night she could really see a difference. 

btw, the daily use are a bit more expensive but the eye place said that for a teenager's eye, they're the best because of not only how much oxygen they're able to filter (to keep the eye oxygenated) but the fact you HAVE to take them out effectively ensures the eyes get proper air flow for several hours a day.  Not sure if I was sold a bill of goods on that fact but it sounded right!
FantabulouslyCherry

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
As someone who has had a lot of eye infections, pink eye and iritis in the past, the advice I'm seeing is very sound. I cannot stress enough about the importance of washing hands before handling your contacts. Even if you haven't touched anything, do it anyway. And I'm glad someone mentioned hairspray. You don't realize how much just the residue from the hairspray in the air will affect the contacts. If she follows the advice of her doctor and the ladies on the board, she should be fine. Good luck to her and I'm glad to see they are helping her with her dance!
LexiandAbbysmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I wouldn't add anything really new.  Both of my girls wear contacts (my youngest since she was 9) and they do just fine. I always have extra pairs packed in dance bag and re wetting drops. 
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
My DD16 competed one year in glasses, then it was on to contacts. She has the daily wears. I have worn contacts for 30+ years. All the advice so far is sound, especially the hairspray. My friend had to get new lenses after six months because of hairspray residue, it was the 80s after all. Also, do not sleep in your lenses. If you do by accident, make sure your eyes are remoisturized before she removes the contacts. Trying to get them off a dry eye can cause serious damage.
Jerseyboymom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
DS15 has had contacts for several years (he inherited my craptacular vision - I've had contacts forever). He wears dailies, and he knows he needs to wash his hands before putting in or taking out his contacts. No sleeping in them - on the way home from comps late at night, he takes them out so he can sleep in the car. He carries an extra pair of lenses in his dance bag. Also, my eye doctor told us taking periodic breaks from contacts is a good idea, so we try to get him to wear his glasses if he's just hanging around the house or watching TV.

If she ever feels like she "loses" a contact in her eye, tell her not to panic. DS had one rip in half in his eye once, and he had to find both pieces to get them out. He stayed calm and was able to handle it.
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
No new advice, but it sounds like your dd has a similar condition as my ds16. I forget the technical term, but he has one eye that does the lions share of the work. He's quite blind without his glasses. He also went a while without really seeing correctly, but he didn't know any better.

Anyway, he has an eye appt this Wednesday. We might try contacts. He's a runner and they'd be so much easier during races.

Good luck to your dd with her contacts! [smile]
mdsdmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
DD has worn contacts for years and never had any issues at comps with them. The one thing I would suggest is make sure she has them in before she does her make up. Good luck to her I'm sure she is going to love being able to see in class and on stage!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: