Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
The only one that truly comes to mind is the American Dance Awards regionals.

What are your choices?
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I think you worry so much about awards and I get that you'd like to go to comps that reward technique over tricks but the truth is people can list here all the comps that they think does this and you can have a totally different experience. I think it's so much better to just go to comps that work for your schedule and geographic location. A comp is only as good as its judges and very few cities have the exact same panel. I really think that you'll find that you're going to hear different things from different people about the same comps. That being said, a couple of years ago we stopped going to comps other than BTF and NYCDA because they had the same value as us when it came to dance. I know people have said this to you here many times but try to relax just a bit and stop worrying about finding the perfect comp that feels exactly the way you do. I promise you as the mom of a kid in her last season of comp, it doesn't exist.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Advice taken. [smile]

5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 

I agree with danermom128 for the most part. I do think that just checking the point allocation for competitions will lead to some insight as well. There are some comps that don't allow as many points for technique as other things.

Example

Talent on Parade
Judges’ scores are based on Technique (1-25 points), Style and Execution (1-25 points), Showmanship (1-20 points), Costume (1-10 points), Choreography (1-10 points), Degree of Difficulty (1-5 points) and Age Appropriate Performance (1-5 points) for a maximum possible 100 points.

KAR
1.) Technique – 40 points total 2.) Stage Presence – 25 points total 3.) Choreography – 20 points total 4.) Execution of Performance – 10 points total 5.) Overall Appearance – 5 points total

NUVO
TECHNIQUE 50%
PERFORMANCE 20% CHOREOGRAPHY & MUSICALITY 20% OVERALL APPEARANCE 10%

So just based on these break downs, NUVO values technique more than other things, KAR next, and TOP very little. In the 8 years I've been a competition mom, a lot of the competitions have taken the rules or breakdowns off of their websites, which makes it more complicated. But Cathy Roe, for instance, says over and over on their website and material that they value technique and don't judge on costume...so even though they don't have a breakdown available, at least that's the message they are sending.

I feel like competitions are turning into the equivalent of my understanding of different types of pageants sometimes. Conventions are more of your "natural pageants" weighted to talent and interview...more dance content needed. And some of your giant competition only competitions are turning into more glitz or more about the presentation (hair, makeup, tan), and costume/clothes (more rhinestones, sometimes less fabric!)...less dance content needed. No less difficult to place and win, just placing and winning for different things. No offense needed to either side of things, our studio is more on the "glitz competition side," teetering in between the two sometimes, and DD14 wanting to transition away from it now.  

NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Sometimes I think it doesn't matter how many points they allocate to technique as much as who is judging and expectations. If that makes sense. Yes one may award more points for technique but how many are they taking off too... bc if they aren't utilizing a range of the points they have then it doesn't really matter, right? Am I making sense?

This being said I have an 11 year old. She has no tricks to her name. Zero. She does good turns and turn series. She has a natural stage presence that draws you in and always performs clean, good routines. She's always been adjudicated fairly accurately and done well when by all accounts one would expect the kids with the flash and the acro tricks to blow her out. But she holds her own and often ends up higher.

So I feel like if you do what you do well as long as it is age appropriate skill wise then most of the ones we've been to are fairly spot on.
rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Compete for the experience. Overalls and adjudications are all over the place. A clean, easy jazz duet from our studio with a single pirouette and a couple basic leaps with okay technique scored just a little shy of a very complex lyrical duet with triples, advanced leaps, and very good technique. Why? Well, in jazz if you smile and look like you're having fun, you've nailed the performance, but in lyrical, you have to connect with the music and accurately convey the emotion, which one half of the duet did not do. So, performance trumped technique and difficulty. I don't even think difficulty is one of the areas where points were awarded or taken away at most comps. Like most, our studio selects dates and locations and we go from there. It had us in very different competitions, some sold out. We did well at some and not so well at others, not because the dances were vastly different, but because different comps/judges value different things. The only ones I truly HATE are the ones that award significant points based on choreography. We are a small studio and our dancers don't have much input, so I feel like they get penalized for something out of their control. So, for that, I prefer not to do Rainbow and KAR. Legacy was huge, but I thought very fair (technique was higher % of score). And, we've had mixed experiences at Precision Arts Challenge based on judges. One set really liked musical theatre, and their PAC ATTACK favors jazz, musical theatre and hip hop.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydancemom
I don't even think difficulty is one of the areas where points were awarded or taken away at most comps.

I have a co-worker who is amazed at some of the routines with "many tricks" and says his DD's studio can't compete with that.  I keep telling him this isn't diving, where there's a standard difficulty rating that gets factored into the judge's score sheets.

Clearly, you need enough difficulty to SHOW the technique you're trying to exhibit.  And I'd suppose that all else being equal, falling out of triple is more impressive than falling out of a single.  But I'd still be more impressed with a clean double, for example.  But I'm just a dude in the seats.  I've never picked a judge's brain.

NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988

I have a co-worker who is amazed at some of the routines with "many tricks" and says his DD's studio can't compete with that.  I keep telling him this isn't diving, where there's a standard difficulty rating that gets factored into the judge's score sheets.

Clearly, you need enough difficulty to SHOW the technique you're trying to exhibit.  And I'd suppose that all else being equal, falling out of triple is more impressive than falling out of a single.  But I'd still be more impressed with a clean double, for example.  But I'm just a dude in the seats.  I've never picked a judge's brain.

Yes whatever you do, do it clean!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.