Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Nettie

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I would like to know thoughts on this subject....

I was going to have my dd audition for the competition team but have decided not to because she just turned 8 and tends to cry when she feels she is not perfect. It is something we are working on her breaking. She is a great little dancer & the comp. director wanted her, but have made the decision to wait another year. In the meantime she wants to up her dance classes and take all of the dance intensives our studio offers. She says she wants to get really good & she has that drive.

So my question is what do you think is more beneficial for a dancer to do? Competition team or Classes & intensives? She is not scared of being on stage, she loves it, they do 2 recitals a year, she just really wants to earn a ballet solo. I want to hear your thoughts & opinions?
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I would always vote for classes and conventions AS LONG AS they are good classes with good teachers. 

I think it's apples to oranges when discussing which is more beneficial.  Yes there are things to be taken from competing , but by and large the training is way more important and significant.  IMO of course.

ETA:   I have actually tried to talk my girls into NOT competing so I could spend that money on more master classes and the travel it would cost to go where they could take classes that I think they would truly benefit and grow from.  We don't get much in the way of conventions and master classes around here.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
classes. 
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Classes are more important.  Our studio does both.  DD does 12 hours of tech classes a week (she is 12) with her comp dances on top of that.
Nettie

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Ok, our studio does both as well, just wondering I guess if Competitive dance really grows a dancer more than adding classes??? She currently takes 8 classes & over the summer was going to bump it to 11 classes & a week long dance intensive.
Nettie

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Lastly,what are the benefits & growth that you see in the dancers that compete?
LJK2dance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
AT our old studio , if you weren't on the competition team then you didn't get into the "good" classes and often times you ended up with young uncertified teachers with little to no experience.  So, I would make sure that not being on the competition team will not prevent your DD from getting good technique training.  ( I know every studio is different - this was just the norm at the old place).
Nettie

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJK2dance
AT our old studio , if you weren't on the competition team then you didn't get into the "good" classes and often times you ended up with young uncertified teachers with little to no experience.  So, I would make sure that not being on the competition team will not prevent your DD from getting good technique training.  ( I know every studio is different - this was just the norm at the old place).

Thankfully, our studio doesn't operate that way, she is in the upper level classes for her age.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJK2dance

That's pretty much how our comp. studio was too, unfortunately. However, if this is how a studio works-- I would not suggest allowing it to influence your choice to compete or not. It should more likely influence your choice of studio. :/

I agree with everyone--training trumps competition every time. That's not to say you can't have both--you can at certain studios. In order of importance, though, training wins. A way to gauge this is by watching the older dancers and evaluating your studio for both availability AND quality of ballet.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Training is definitely more important then comp but a lot depends on how your studio trains their rec dancers vs their comp dancers.

At our studio rec kids take technique with the comp students as long as they can show that they can handle the class.  They receive the same techniqu training that the comp kids do so if later they wanted to try and get on the comp team they haven't fallen behind.  Not all studios work that way.  If your studio gives superior training to the comp kids and not the rec kids I would look into having her join the team so she gets the good training and maybe only compete one dance until you see how she adjusts.

Good luck!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettie
Ok, our studio does both as well, just wondering I guess if Competitive dance really grows a dancer more than adding classes??? She currently takes 8 classes & over the summer was going to bump it to 11 classes & a week long dance intensive.

It's all in the quality of the training.  A good percentage of professional dancers have never competed.  Enough said.
DanceB113

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
At our studio competition dancers do all that you are considering. Competition, classes and intensives. I'm surprised when I hear that it's not the same at other studios. Our "recreational" dancers can take the same technique classes as competition dancers and I have no doubt they can do the intensives if they want to. What happens to the comp kids at your studio without good classes and intensives? Do the dancers who don't compete eventually surpass them in technique?
I think if you have to choose, I'd go with the classes that will improve her technique, especially if she wants to focus on ballet.

ETA: I see now that your studio does do both. Honestly I'm not sure if I could find 11 classes that don't seem repetitive for my daughter who is around your daughter's age. That's a lot of classes for not competing. Not judging, my daughter takes 5 with comp dance classes so I'm trying to imagine 11 without. Remember, it's not quantity, it's quality.
jeanne4379

Triple Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
A quality dance education in a nurturing atmosphere is what must be the primary concern, especially at such a young age.  Honestly, at 8 she is just beginning her "real" dance education.  And the crying may be part of a maturity issue as well as being a perfectionist - a quality many dancers possess.  For now and for quite a few years her growth as a dancer will rely more on quality technical training than anything else.  I concur with heidi 459.  Many professional dancers, my own dd included, never compete.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:

While I think competing certainly may sharpen certain skills ,  I think they are more along the lines of performance quality , confidence etc.  Getting on stage and competing a routine doesn't do anything more for "technical ability"  than dancing in a recital does.  Training ...training ...training.   IMO.
Intheburbs

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Lastly,what are the benefits & growth that you see in the dancers that compete?

I see many benefits for my children, via competing. Now I don't think either of my kids would pursue this professionally so fun and excitement are high on the list for us. My girls love it, the entire experience from practice, learning new routines, bonding with their team, and feeling great after they performed their best. I've seen them grow tremendously from the beginning of the season to the end. We do nationals every year and my kids love to see the new studios and I have seen them rise to the challenge if their dances make the finals, we see higher levels of performance and passion emerge. Pool time with friends is also cherished.

At her age I think it will be hard to tell how seriously she wants to pursue the craft in the future and only training might be boring. That depends a lot on her personality as well.

Our kids get plenty of tech and opportunities with master classes etc so it's a nice balance for us. I also ensure we strike a balance and limit their total numbers each year which helps the budget and our sanity.

As they get older if they want to be more serious we can change. So nothing is set in stone.
ltzol

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I vote classes hands down. 

Competition can be fun and a team-building, performance enhancing experience, but nothing beats more training. 

Nettie

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceB113
At our studio competition dancers do all that you are considering. Competition, classes and intensives. I'm surprised when I hear that it's not the same at other studios. Our "recreational" dancers can take the same technique classes as competition dancers and I have no doubt they can do the intensives if they want to. What happens to the comp kids at your studio without good classes and intensives? Do the dancers who don't compete eventually surpass them in technique? I think if you have to choose, I'd go with the classes that will improve her technique, especially if she wants to focus on ballet. ETA: I see now that your studio does do both. Honestly I'm not sure if I could find 11 classes that don't seem repetitive for my daughter who is around your daughter's age. That's a lot of classes for not competing. Not judging, my daughter takes 5 with comp dance classes so I'm trying to imagine 11 without. Remember, it's not quantity, it's quality.

Thanks for your input....Her love is ballet, so she takes 3 ballet classes with 3 different teachers. Then she takes 2 jazz classes with 2 different teachers, technique class, tap class, & a lyrical class. So just for the summer she wants to up her ballet classes & bring it back down when school starts. The buzz right now is the audition for the competition team but her fears & tears are holding her back from exuding her confidence at times.....
Nettie

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanne4379
A quality dance education in a nurturing atmosphere is what must be the primary concern, especially at such a young age.  Honestly, at 8 she is just beginning her "real" dance education.  And the crying may be part of a maturity issue as well as being a perfectionist - a quality many dancers possess.  For now and for quite a few years her growth as a dancer will rely more on quality technical training than anything else.  I concur with heidi 459.  Many professional dancers, my own dd included, never compete.

I really love your response, it hit home with me. Thank you so much for your input. I appreciate it.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
In the last year, my dd's confidence has grown 300%.  A lot of that is we switch studios - better teachers, more challenged.  But the other part is the competition experience.  You said little dancer so I'm thinking your dd is young - dd is 11. 

That being said, I think the opportunity to perform more frequently than the once a year recital is a great part of the experience but it isn't essential.
DanceB113

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceB113
At our studio competition dancers do all that you are considering. Competition, classes and intensives. I'm surprised when I hear that it's not the same at other studios. Our "recreational" dancers can take the same technique classes as competition dancers and I have no doubt they can do the intensives if they want to. What happens to the comp kids at your studio without good classes and intensives? Do the dancers who don't compete eventually surpass them in technique? I think if you have to choose, I'd go with the classes that will improve her technique, especially if she wants to focus on ballet. ETA: I see now that your studio does do both. Honestly I'm not sure if I could find 11 classes that don't seem repetitive for my daughter who is around your daughter's age. That's a lot of classes for not competing. Not judging, my daughter takes 5 with comp dance classes so I'm trying to imagine 11 without. Remember, it's not quantity, it's quality.

Thanks for your input....Her love is ballet, so she takes 3 ballet classes with 3 different teachers. Then she takes 2 jazz classes with 2 different teachers, technique class, tap class, & a lyrical class. So just for the summer she wants to up her ballet classes & bring it back down when school starts. The buzz right now is the audition for the competition team but her fears & tears are holding her back from exuding her confidence at times.....

I like the confidence competition gives my daughter but that can be done without competing. Your daughter will probably thrive either way. [smile]
socalkdg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
If they are already taking 10-15 hours of technical classes, and they really want to do competition, and you have the time and can afford it, let them do competition.  For my daughter its a reward for all the hard work that she puts in as she loves to perform.  Really good for their mind as well as they learn multiple routines in a limited amount of time.  Provides a great social aspect since their is a lot less interacting during technical classes bu much more at competitions.  She also grew dramatically as a dancer after a couple years competing.  Note that competing never took away from the technical classes she was already taking, or from master classes or intensives.
dtdance348

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Honestly? It's whatever your child wants to do.

If they want to be on stage more than 1 or 2 times a year, loved the comp world, and can get quality training while at the same time you can afford it finically... do the competition scene. 

If you child doesn't like competing, and would rather take more classes, like ballet, or hip hop, for example, where you can really get emerged in the non-comp world....do the non-competition scene.

Bottom line, don't hold them back from what they want to do if you can financially afford it.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtdance348
Honestly? It's whatever your child wants to do.

If they want to be on stage more than 1 or 2 times a year, loved the comp world, and can get quality training while at the same time you can afford it finically... do the competition scene. 

If you child doesn't like competing, and would rather take more classes, like ballet, or hip hop, for example, where you can really get emerged in the non-comp world....do the non-competition scene.

Bottom line, don't hold them back from what they want to do if you can financially afford it.

I just want to point out that it is a really common misconception that you only perform 1-2 times a year unless you compete. My girls go to a ballet school. In addition to the multiple day student showcase at the end of the year, they put on a Nutcracker and another full length ballet in the spring. As the students move up the levels, they are eligible to perform in more and more. Our oldest girls have done at least 6 different performances this year.
jeanne4379

Triple Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
I would like to know thoughts on this subject....

I was going to have my dd audition for the competition team but have decided not to because she just turned 8 and tends to cry when she feels she is not perfect. It is something we are working on her breaking. She is a great little dancer & the comp. director wanted her, but have made the decision to wait another year. In the meantime she wants to up her dance classes and take all of the dance intensives our studio offers. She says she wants to get really good & she has that drive.

So my question is what do you think is more beneficial for a dancer to do? Competition team or Classes & intensives? She is not scared of being on stage, she loves it, they do 2 recitals a year, she just really wants to earn a ballet solo. I want to hear your thoughts & opinions?

Your dd is 8, so for now and maybe another couple of years the best thing for her is quality training.  The more solid her technical training is the more comfortable she will be when she performs.  And those performing opportunities should provide her with a secure venue to show of her abilities.  Performing is absolutely a rush, but the bread and butter of all dance is in the studio.  Performing is the icing on the cake; it needs the constant, endless plies and tendus of the cake to have true merit.  As soon as she feels really secure in her abilities there'll be no holding her back.  

I would also like to note that a quality ballet school offers far moe performing opportunities than just once or twice a year.  The best schools have a list of companies or other schools that provide opportunities and will recommend them to certain dancers in their school that will benefit from these chances to perform.  The whole foucs is on the quality of the education, polished by good chances to perform.  It is good for the student to learn from other teachers and good for the school as the quality of their training is advertised.  
impactcent70

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #25 
I think practice make perfect so do practice regularly.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.