Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
2girls

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Anyone have a competitors cart or seen them around to see how they work? I already have my dance gear pretty well organized. Having two competitive dancers means I would need a large dream duffel which seems so LARGE!
asunutgirl

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I finally broke down and purchased one this year. I love it! But it only handles about 4 costumes really well. I have two dancers and sometimes their dances are all spread out. I use it when we have just a few dances on a given day. I strap on Stanley and away we go.

If we have most of our stuff on one day, I use my big rolling rack.
2girls

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks! I guess that answers my question. We have a total of 9 costumes for competitions this year plus more for the recital. We'll probably have the same next year. I guess the Competitors Cart won't hold enough costumes. Too bad the handles don't telescope to a longer length. It is a great concept and a great alternative to using a large dream duffel. I worry that the dream duffel could get damaged getting checked for air travel. We've all seen how baggage handlers throw luggage around.
StepLeap

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
The Large Dream Duffel would be able to hold up to air travel- they are very durable. I would be more worried about the $$$$$ they would charge to check the duffel in!! It is HUGE!! LOL
2girls

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks. Hadn't thought of the cost to check it. What do people take to a National competition? This is our first year. I can't imagine not hanging our costumes.
runningtodance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We have the competitors cart and it holds at least 10 costumes just fine (which is the number of costumes she's had for the past two years). I like it because it is compact and portable. For air travel, I pack each costume in a gallon zip lock bag and squeeze the air out. Once we get to our destination, we take the costumes out of the bags and hang them. Still have a rack to hang them on and nothing takes up a lot of space.
bopmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Only if the bag weighs more than 60 lbs will they charge you. You would be surprised at how much you can fit under 60 lbs.
dancemom23

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
My dream duffel (which I believe is a medium) held 11 costumes this year with no problem (she had 12, but one was a platter tutu and didn't go in the duffel). The year I got our duffel, my oldest was a senior and I think we used it for 15 costumes - that was pushing it, but it worked for one year. But I do also have a stanley.

ETA - don't know about air travel, we drive everywhere.
2girls

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Thank you everyone for your helpful input! Both sound great! I actually talked to someone that has the Competitors Cart. She says it is so sturdy and great, while teammates have the Dream Duffel and really like it! What to do?!

I went and checked out the Stanley. They are awesome! The Fat Max seems to take up a lot of space though, right? Sometimes the dressing areas are so tight! I can't imagine opening that up when space is so tight.

scottishdancemom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I have the medium dream duffel, and we've had 11 or 12 costumes in it w/0 any problem. Dd takes it to university now, and this summer she has it at the camp where she is teaching dance. She loves it.
Sabrina

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I've seen both the medium and large dream duffel. Honestly, I think the Large Drm Dfl is actually AS BIG as the back of my SUV. Overkill, IMO.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I have a medium dream duffel and love it. Between my two dd's I was able to fit 10 costumes plus their dance bags with all their shoes. The large duffel is HUGE! I think it would be cumbersome to tote around.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I have a medium dream duffel and love it. Between my two dd's I was able to fit 10 costumes plus their dance bags with all their shoes. The large duffel is HUGE! I think it would be cumbersome to tote around.
dancemom23

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Whenever we go to competitions, we always have suitcases, dream duffel (garment rack before that), stanley, another DM and DD that go with us, and a ton of food and stuff, so we always take the minivan. For the first time, when we went to recital this year, DD and I took our Honda Fit (if you don't know, it's about the size of a matchbox car LOL) and the dream duffel (medium) fit in it just fine - it fit in the "trunk" and we didn't have to put the back seat down. We didn't take Stanley, but we could have, and suitcases and food (but not another family) if we were going to competition. I don't think I have seen the large dream duffel in person, but honestly the medium is pretty big, but shouldn't be a size concern for anyone worrying about transporting it in a smaller vehicle.
grace1

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishdancemom
I have the medium dream duffel, and we've had 11 or 12 costumes in it w/0 any problem. Dd takes it to university now, and this summer she has it at the camp where she is teaching dance. She loves it.

I'm trying to decide between the medium & large duffel - reading that you could fit 11 costumes in the medium, makes me think we should go with that size. Were you able to fit shoes, accessories and makeup kit in it as well as the costumes? Thanks!!
Intheburbs

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I have a medium and it is currently fitting 8 costumes, shoes, two blankets and our makeup kit. I don't think the large would fit in my trunk!
grace1

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheburbs
I have a medium and it is currently fitting 8 costumes, shoes, two blankets and our makeup kit. I don't think the large would fit in my trunk!

That's my concern, especially if another dancer rides with us! There would be noway 2 larges could fit in my trunk!
azmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
We have some families at our studio with the larges, and they are MONSTERS. I don't even know how you could lift it out of the car by yourself. Also, a lot of the places we compete get cramped backstage, and it's sometimes hard for them to find a place to park those big boys. To me, the medium looks like a better bet (but I'm cheap, so I put a rack in a regular suitcase)...
dancintoes

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #19 
I had a rolling garment rack for several years, but as we acquired the need for more costumes, it became pretty unstable so I modified it a bit and came up with this...

http://forums.dancemom.com/post/My-latest-contraption...-5214520

Last year we easily fit 10 to 14 costumes on it (one summer performance we were using a tent as a changing room so all of the teams costumes were hanging on it) and I don't have a van or SUV so it all fit in the trunk of my 2 door Honda Civic. For us, it's been the answer to our prayers!
DWC_dancemom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #20 
My DD has a large Dream Duffel she uses at dance competitions. It is hard to lug up and down stairs, but it isn't that much bigger than a medium. A friend at her studio has a small and it can hardly fit anything! My DD can fit her Caboodle, Costumes, Dance Clothes, Food, Blanket, And pillow pet. A large dream duffel is definitely worthwhile.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
I have to disagree that a small "can hardly fit anything". I have fit at least 8 costumes, shoes, tights, small caboodle for makeup, hair supplies (brushes, hairspray, gel), snacks, a couple water bottles, warm ups, flip flops, and her stuffed bear for awards in our small.
monroedancemom2

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #22 
I have had the cart for 2 seasons. Although it has a few minor flaws...I use it with much success. It has held 12 costumes at a time with the Stanley strapped to the front to help with balance. The large Dream Duffel is just tooo monsterous for us, I am anticipating getting a lg Rac and Roll for next season, and use my cart when smaller events are happening. 
theyarg

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 

I probably could have gotten away with a medium, but I love the large dd because EVERYTHING goes in that one bag.  Sure, up and down the stairs could be a little difficult, but it really isn't that heavy if DD and I just each take one of the handles on the end.  It is pretty sturdy.  I have actually just dragged it (bump, bump) up and down stairs and it has really held up.  The max we have ever put in it was 13 costumes, since I was doing a solo too when we first got it, but now we run between 8-9 costumes, plus accessories, hats, make up, shoes, yadda, yadda.  I may tote along a small lunch bag type cooler for extra snacks/drinks, since the insulated pocket is not that big for a really long day.
rach031270

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #24 
We have a competitors cart. 
It is like a dolly - but with the garment rack on top (two extendable arms)

Things I like:
Very compact
Very sturdy
The 2 arms Can hold numerous costumes easily without tipping.
Rolls Very easily since the wheels are bigger than a suitcase.  I like how it manevers better than some of the duffles.
Does not take up much space in the dressing rooms.
Does not take up much space in my car trunk - so works well with smaller cars.

Mixed feelings on..
I have mixed feelings on how you attach your garment bags.
They are easily held up by the strap intended for them.
But they are "outside" your bag or box when traveling.

Things I dont like.
I still needed to put all my dance supplies in my own box/suitcase/duffle.

Once you get to the dressing room to setup - you need to unload your garment bags and or suitcase off the cart.
Then adjust the straps for performance use.
Then set your box or suitcase back on the cart.

cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
The large is like touting around a full coffin behind you.  The medium works for most people and fits the baggage size requirements for checked baggage on most airlines without having to pay over size baggage fees.  Last time we went to nationals, the airline we used would have charged us $200 if we had had the large duffel.

Some of my thoughts on duffel accessories: 
Don't buy the height extenders because it makes the whole thing unstable. 

We do use the side extenders, which dd hangs the shelf unit.  She puts tights, shoes and other accessories in there for fast changes.

You can get hanging mirrors that you can hang on the rack too.  They come with a little shelf when they hang and that can be nice too if they need to put on makeup after a convention. 

I really like the Dream Duffel garment bags.  They are super sturdy and I really like them because of the zippered pouches.  I put little sticky labels on the zippered pockets so that everything goes back in after the dance and you know if you are missing anything right away.  The downside of the bags is that they are kind of thick, so you will get less costumes in the duffel.  I still can get 10 to 12 in there if the costumes aren't huge.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: