Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Lilacdancer - can you speak to the director about plans for next year? And/or do you have other studio options with more teenage dancers so she can find same age peers at her level?
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Did your daughter speak to her teacher yet?
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzminesun81

Just in the cover photo of the video upload of the tilt jump, I noticed a few things that would DD9 would have been called out on to fix if that was her:

Head placement - her neck is hunched to the side and she's looking down
Posture - her torso is hunched forward, from her core all through her shoulders. 
Feet - toes not pointed. If you draw a line from her shins to her toes, it should at least be a straight line though some have a pleasing curve
Hips are not squared - you can see the upper leg is pulled forward. 

If your daughter is learning from these videos, she may be learning with poor technique and they may have put her with younger girls so that she can get those sorts of corrections because things like posture should be fixed or at least a work in progress for safety reasons alone, not to mention technique. Believe me, before DD9 started dancing I had no idea there was such detail involved in proper technique in everything.  

These were my video examples of what the jumps were.  Not intended to be an indication of good technique on any way.  I saw all the flaws but they at least gave an idea of what the jumps the OP was referencing were.  When DS was dancing I NEVER encouraged him to learn anything from videos because of the quality of some of them that claim to be "experts".  Learning at home is a receipe for disaster.
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom

These were my video examples of what the jumps were.  Not intended to be an indication of good technique on any way.  I saw all the flaws but they at least gave an idea of what the jumps the OP was referencing were.  When DS was dancing I NEVER encouraged him to learn anything from videos because of the quality of some of them that claim to be "experts".  Learning at home is a receipe for disaster.

Totally get it. OP said that her DD knew how to do those "before" she started dance, though, which was a red flag to me. A lot of kids (and parents) get frustrated when their kids learn things on youtube or on their own and are sent back to the beginning to relearn proper technique, so I thought that might be what happened to OP. For instance, we had a couple of kids in beginning acro who could do things like front and back walkovers, etc, that they learned on their own but they couldn't execute them with proper technique so they were placed in the beginning class to fix those details before they could go to intermediate class with the kids who could execute consistently with proper technique.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #30 
I'm going to repeat what the majority have said. Have a meeting with whomever is in charge of placements and ask. Be prepared though that you could hear things you might not like. I would say let your dd do most of the talking and you be there for moral support. Choose your words carefully when it comes to what the other dancers she is with might be lacking(should you bring that up). Hope you get it all worked out. Keep us posted.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.