Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
spddancemom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Can any one offer any insight on what competition's charge for solo/duo/group dances?
Some list fees online and others do not... any help would be appreciated.
DMI posts theirs online : Solo :110  Duo/Trio: 55 Group Dances: 45/47
prancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #2 
The costs you listed are typical.  I've seen solos for as much as $135, but you are definitely in the ballpark with those.
spddancemom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #3 
We have a relatively small studio with 3-4 instructors and 40 dancers.
I am trying to figure how much I am actually paying in competition fees. We pay a competition fee monthly for 9 months that covers regional competitions and conventions that we attend during the regular year that covers the group dances (we are billed prior to the competitions for solo or duo fees). We then receive a bill for Nationals that we pay separately.
We also pay separate Production choreography fees and costume fees.  We also pay a separate tuition fee that covers practices.
I understand and am ok with studio padding the fees to cover their traveling expenses.  I just would like to know what I am paying individually and for what.  Not that I have paid 1300 in competition fees for only 2 competitions and owe for an extra competition that they have added... I am not sure that the math is adding up.
prancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #4 
Conventions cost about $300.  Looks like your group costumes are part of that fee - probably about $200 per dance. Competition fees, about $50 per comp per group dance. Studio jackets and other required clothing and makeup. Group choreo fees.  Weekly routine rehearsals (these are separate from classes - I'm not sure if this is what you meant by practices).  Time and travel for the teachers. 

So for comparison, we have a tuition bill for classes and a separate bill for competition that includes the items I listed (without nationals).  Our competition bill - covering what I mentioned for 4 group dances at 4 comps and convention tuition is about $2500. 

peachygreen98

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 

I have a breakdown of our costs for the year (2017-2018 comp season)

Rehearsals and tuition - $3800
Performance & Audition Fees - (3 shows and audition workshop) - $390
Competition and Convention Fees (4 competitions - 4 group #'s 1 solo (well one comp only had 3 group #'s), 2 conventions (1 no competition, 1 with 1 group competition, and nationals with 4 groups and 1 solo) - $1964.50
Costume Fees (I haven't paid for one yet, so this is just for 3 groups and 1 solo) - $728.84 + 3 rec dances ($240)
Choreography Fees (1 solo, 3 small groups, 1 production) - $1025
Misc Fees/Expenses (backpack, warmups, media packages, tickets, DVDs, Pack2Rack (1st year comp), Sponsorship etc) so far $1142.

Travel estimated - 2 conventions, 4 competitions, 1 Nationals - ~$5000 budgeted.  So far I've spent only about $1400 of that, but we have 2 competitions (I've prepaid the hotel on one) and Nationals left to travel for.  I over budgeted travel so far on the events we have attended, so I'm hoping to come in under that overall travel budget.  

For specifics - our conventions last year were $255 each.  The original estimate was $300. 
For competitions.

Small Groups ($39-$56 per dancer per comp)

Production ($45-$56 per dancer per comp)

Solo ($88.40 - $120 per comp)

spddancemom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We are billed separately for costumes, studio jackets, team t shirts, shoes, choreography fees, etc.. We also furnish our own makeup. Our competition fees (we have been told) that we pay monthly in addition to tuition are suppose to cover regional fees and conventions.
prancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #7 
spddancemom - how many groups is your dancer in?

LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Convention USD $250
Group Entry CAD $50 ($70 for US Comp)
Solo Entry CAD $90 ($150 for US Comp)
Duet/Trio CAD $60 ($90 for US Comp)
Choreo are ranging from CAD $250-600

And since we are from Toronto, we have to pay 13% tax on top of everything. It hurts just typing this all out.
owensamo

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
It all depends on the number of dances, the types of dances, and the types of competitions (does it include a convention?). For my family, convention/competitions (with 2 group dances, a duet and a solo) average about $500 for convention and entry fees. So $1300 could be possible and include a reasonable surcharge, depending on your own situation.
spddancemom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #10 
@prancer - 5 group dances and one solo which I pay that fee separately so it is not included in my competition fees
peachygreen98

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spddancemom
@prancer - 5 group dances and one solo which I pay that fee separately so it is not included in my competition fees

Did your two competitions also include conventions?  

spddancemom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #12 
one of the competitions included a convention and it was 245.00
Billpayer2000

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I would estimate a group at $60 per dance.  I think a solo fee could be $110-150.  A duet/trio would be anywhere from $70 on up.  Some competitions are higher, not many would be lower.  I recall reading elsewhere that across the board, the fees have gone up everywhere. 
Billpayer2000

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
It is painful sometimes.  Maybe just ask for a more detailed bill?
spddancemom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I  have asked for a more detailed list... we love dance... I just would like a little more transparency with what my fees are actually paying for. 
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
We're lucky in that our studio gives us a separate invoice for each competition.

For example these are the costs for an upcoming KAR regional:
2 solos @ $130 ea.
2 D/T @ $75 ea.
3 groups @ 60 ea
Total: $590

Upcoming Groove (DD not doing solos)
2 D/T @ $80 ea
3 groups @ $60 ea.
Total: $340

We pay for costumes separately and they run about $100 ea.
The first competition invoice includes things like a one-time music cut fee ($25) and one-time choreography fees. That first invoice was $760 for Celebrity.

So, while tuition and privates are more expensive than other studios in the area, at least everything is detailed on our invoices. There's only one area that is a little fuzzy and that's recital costumes, which I started a topic on a few months ago.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Western Canada
Solos are about $70-$80
Duets are about $60
Groups are $30-$40

We do one competition that’s run by the province and it’s $25/solo $20/duet $15/group

The studio marks up $5-$10 on each of these fees. I’ve independently entered into a few of these comps and know it’s closer the $10 mark although they have admitted to it only being around $5.

We get a detailed broken down list of each competition.
Mumof4

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #18 
This thread blows me away! Being in Australia, my daughter had 6 solos and 2 duos plus 5 troupes. We pay around $10 per solo $12 a duo, troupes about $15 thats included in our fees.
We enter solos and duos on our own and out of our pocket and can compete them any time or not at all.
DanceMommy2Riley

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
My DD doesn't compete nearly as often as she used to, and prices really depend on the competition. However, solo costs are usually in the $100-$150 ballpark. The last competition she competed at was YAGP back sometime in March and I believe I paid about $120 per solo. She competed two solos - a classical and a contemporary. I honestly do not remember how much I usually pay per group dance because DD hasn't competed with a group in awhile, but I believe it is about $50-$70?
DanceMommy2Riley

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Like prancer said, conventions usually cost about $300. My DD has attended a fair share of conventions, but 3 of her favourites are Jump, Nuvo and 24 Seven (BTF). The last convention she attended was Nuvo Toronto in December, and I paid about $300. She hasn't really participated in any other conventions besides BTF recently, but another one of her favourites is NYCDA. NYCDA is about $250-$300 for conventions as well. 
MimisMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Around $100 for solo. $80-90 for duets/trio
danceandsoccermom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #22 
We paid 250 for the BTF conventions. That's just the base price, however. If your studio is competing at the conventions, that would be extra. So a convention, a solo, and two group numbers would be about $500 (not padded) - just for the one weekend.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.