Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
kwiksam

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello!

I am considering "sponsoring" a young dancer interested in competing and attending workshops.   We have a wonderful studio that is allowing this dancer to attend all classes free of charge.  (The child is in foster care).   

My question which is very open but I am searching for just a general approximate cost.  What kind of finances am I going to need? for workshops, competition pieces, other?   I understand costume fees, hotels, extra classes.

Again, just ideas of what I might need per workshop/competition would be greatly appreciated 
Thank you,
Joyce
beetle1

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Is the dancer at a level ready for competition? It can get pretty expensive depending on how many comps and requirements for each. I just have to say you are a wonderful person to even consider this. What a difference you will make on this young person's life if you sponsor.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I think at this point you would need to discuss with the studio to find out bc fees can vary widely based on what the dancer/studio does. But what a blessing this could be for that child!
Maybe remember the other stuff with the fees: aside from costume and shoe requirements, any other required warmup/gear, makeup, etc...
owensamo

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
When I estimate my comp costs prior to the exact comps and fees being distributed, I use this general guideline, per competition/convention:
  • Solos - $115
  • Duets - $60
  • Groups - $45
  • Convention - $200
Some comps/conventions are more, some are less, but it tends to average out to about that for us. We also estimate $125/night for hotels and $50/day for food. We try to pack breakfast items or stay at hotels with free meals where possible. Note this doesn't include any budget for transportation - i.e. gas, trains, etc.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
As a previous poster mentioned, you really need to discuss it with the studio as there is no norm. Some studios go to 8-10 comps/conventions a season, some go to 3 or 4. Some have their dancers in upwards of 10 pieces, some only 4 or 5. Some order expensive custom costumes, some stick with less expensive catalog or off the rack options. Some keep travel to a minimum, some seem to look for opportunities that will require overnight accommodations. The list just goes on and on and on.
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Find out the numbers of mandatory competitions, conventions and dances she has to do per year, then how much their costumes typically cost and go from there.
Kayleemom9

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I would guess $1.5k as an average plus up to $1000 for costumes and shoes. She may be able to share a hotel room with another girl. Me and my daughter roomed with another mom and her best friend so my bill was only $150 for 2 nights at NJ Nuvo.

My shoe bill went up a lot once my daughter reached adult sizes and pointe shoes. If she is young it may be cheap for shoes and costumes.

Wonderful of you to do this
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
If you had just a little info from the studio- we could probably help you get a pretty close estimate of everything! Lots of dance related info in these collective brains here!
kwiksam

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Everyone, thank you so much!  I'll go to the studio to see if they can estimate costs per competition.   Lots of things I didn't think of like shoes and makeup!  I'll make a list and see what else the owner may add.  Again, thank you so much.   I'm praying this will be a successful move.   My daughter (volunteered) started classes for children in foster care.   Out of all the dancers this one stuck out an has the talent.  Unfortunately with foster children being moved around so much, in and out of county, the classes didn't last because by the time recital time came around some had to leave, new students came in.   Because they all want to be in a recital it was difficult but somehow we pulled one off.  Between people donating costumes, shoes, and school inviting them to join their recital it was so exciting.   The little team that was able to stay for the season were invited to many places to perform - VFW, Women's Club, American Legion.    It was a super time.

Anyhow again, thank you all for your input.  I'll see where this takes me.

Joyce
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 

Another issue though - photographs.

I'm not all that familiar with fostering, and am by no means an expert on any specific state laws.  But I have heard that there are restrictions on taking photos of foster children, and especially with regards to posting those images in social media.

• Many competitions live-stream.
  • Many competitions post some favorite competition shots or videos.
  • Many conventions & competitions post photographs of winners.
  • Many conventions & competitions post video montages of classes & happenings from the weekend.

I don't see any harm in any of it, and it pains me to think that a kid would be prevented from participating because of this issue.  But I do believe it's something worth researching.

FWIW, I paid $300 tuition for onsite registration for a weekend convention just Saturday (workshop only, we entered no competition numbers).  Advanced registration comes with a small discount.

NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
We had a foster child at our studio a few years back competing on the less competitive team (so like
2 competitions). I know they worked with them to keep costs bare minimum and scholarship what they could. A company sponsored her dance finances and dealt with the studio directly for payment/billing. But it was a prearranged set amount per month for the year that took all the costs and then averaged it to be the same per month. They received statements each quarter about specifically what the money covered.
jamquint1

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
As a mama who adopted three children from foster care, one of whom dances, I think this is awesome. I second what dave9988 said above regarding photos/videos. Videos and photos of foster children are not allowed to be posted on websites, social media, etc. There may be something that you can sign prohibiting the publication of video/photos of the child. They can still do videos and photos which can be purchased for the child, they just need to refrain from publicizing those. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.